Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 01:38 PM

320 posts, read 1,070,073 times

Advertisements

Is it my imagination, or is the newer wave of dentists making up stuff for us to "require" in order to have a healthy mouth? My trusted dentist moved out of town and I have been searching for a new one. I've tried out a few for a cleaning, but haven't found someone that I "click" with in order to go back to. Here's some reasons why:

Not everyone can possibly need a night guard. My teeth are slightly worn down? Well yeah.....I've been using them for 40+ years....it is bound to happen! My canines were never a sharp point.....you should have asked before telling me that they are no longer sharp because of griding.

No, I don't have TMJ. It did not magically develop this last year. If you are putting more pressure on one side of my jaw when you tell me to open and close, it is logically going to push my jawbone slightly to one side.

And don't get me started about this whole "losing enamel" craze. One commercial on tv with a fluorescent light behind teeth to show how transparent they are, and suddenly every dentist has a new hot button to overcharge for.

That gap on the crown? Yeah, I can see your point. But why is it URGENT according to you, and has to be replaced RIGHT NOW, when I am not experiencing any symptoms and I look back at xrays from 3 years ago and it was there then too. No one else said anything. So, how about we make a PLAN for it in the next few months instead of you reaching that little suction thing into my wallet TODAY??

Deep cleanings? Bull. Maybe for someone who hasn't been to a dentist in 10 years but otherwise....no.

and OMG...for heaven's sake, don't ask WHY to any of the above....or you will be labeled as "difficult" or someting similar. (You can see it in their eyes.)

So....I'm still on the hunt here in my home town. I'm "trying" to stay in-network for a change, so that is narrowing my potentials somewhat. My experiences above do seem to be with the younger/newer graduates...but of course that is my experience and not necessarily fact.

There are a ton of referral request threads for my area and everywhere else, so I am not asking for that.....just ranting. I guess I will have about 6 months to check out my next candidate.....

Last edited by 2goldens; 03-02-2010 at 04:11 AM.. Reason: Moved from Other Topics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 01:42 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
It's all about the $$$$$$ these days! Good luck!

Old 03-01-2010, 04:37 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,387,317 times
I think dentists are trying to sell what car dealers call "bells and whistles" or expensive and unnecessary things.

I just go in for a cleaning, get a filling if needed, then run like hell.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:42 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,532,742 times
Plus a lot of people don't have dental insurance, so they can pretty much charge what they want. There's no 'usual customary reasonable' amount, like with health insurance. If they charge $350, and insurance says well, we'll give you fifty, they say OK. If you don't have insurance you can't really dicker with them.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:59 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,793,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Plus a lot of people don't have dental insurance, so they can pretty much charge what they want. There's no 'usual customary reasonable' amount, like with health insurance. If they charge $350, and insurance says well, we'll give you fifty, they say OK. If you don't have insurance you can't really dicker with them.
Regular doctors do the same thing, and that's what annoys the **** out of me about the whole insurance game. All we need to do to *fix* healthcare is to get rid of the games by demanding that all healthcare providers give the same price to everybody they see. I don't want the government to set the prices, but I do want them to stop allowing hospitals/doctors/dentists/etc. to stop gouging cash patients.

I'm still boiling over one procedure I had last year that would have cost 20 times as much if I hadn't had insurance! I am grateful that I had that insurance, but there's absolutely no reason for them to charge people without insurance $100 for something that they'd only charge me $5 for.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:36 AM

320 posts, read 1,070,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
There might be a "usual" amount.....but it is definitely not "reasonable".

Old 03-02-2010, 04:52 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Regular doctors do the same thing, and that's what annoys the **** out of me about the whole insurance game. All we need to do to *fix* healthcare is to get rid of the games by demanding that all healthcare providers give the same price to everybody they see. I don't want the government to set the prices, but I do want them to stop allowing hospitals/doctors/dentists/etc. to stop gouging cash patients.

I'm still boiling over one procedure I had last year that would have cost 20 times as much if I hadn't had insurance! I am grateful that I had that insurance, but there's absolutely no reason for them to charge people without insurance $100 for something that they'd only charge me $5 for.
Agree! When I've been a cash patient more than once I got the feeling the doctor and staff believed they were doing me a favor.

Why? Because they couldn't rook an insurance carrier.

As a cash patient they don't have to file a claim, get rejected on claim, refile, follow up, argue with the insurance company, etc. I'm saving them money. Their price should be lower as a result.

So I'd like to say to them: Lose the 'tude! Their greed draws no sympathy from me.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:14 PM

522 posts, read 1,405,581 times
I hear ya. Trying to get medical help is difficult and pricey enough, but for some reason dental doesn't seem to be as important. Uh...lets see, if I can't afford to see a dentist and I lose my teeth how am I suppose to eat? Throw a straw for the rest of my life? Don't even get me started on infections from tooth decay that couldn't be treated because the cost is just ridiculous.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:38 AM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertysFate View Post
I hear ya. Trying to get medical help is difficult and pricey enough, but for some reason dental doesn't seem to be as important. Uh...lets see, if I can't afford to see a dentist and I lose my teeth how am I suppose to eat? Throw a straw for the rest of my life? Don't even get me started on infections from tooth decay that couldn't be treated because the cost is just ridiculous.
Yup it is, but for me, it wasn't a bad thing because it forced me to learn how to take care of my own teeth.

Basically, as long as you brush (with a natural toothpaste), floss, and use a jet stream of water to blast food particles from in between your teeth and gums you should be just fine.

Amazon.com: Waterpik Ultra Dental Water Jet: Health & Personal Care

Old 03-03-2010, 09:59 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
I pay cash for dental stuff. I never have this happen. The dentist is trying to give you preventative treatment to avoid more costly repair in the future. It sounds like your old dentist's style was not like this.

You will not get the deep cleaning with a waterpic and brushing that you do at the dentist.

What can happen with that crown issue is that its the perfect set up for infection. My mother let one go and absess set in and then she had an even more costly fix plus rounds of medication.

If your crown is holding together a cracked tooth..May god help you if that falls off.

Dental Crown - Tooth Crown

As you age your need to care for your teeth increases just like how your body does. Its your whole life starting to show up on your teeth.

You probably do need a deep cleaning if your gumline is pulling back from your crown.
Gum Disease Treatments: Surgical and Non-Surgical

Its a sign of gum disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health