Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2019, 02:59 PM

7,822 posts, read 11,708,343 times

Advertisements

During my last routine cleaning I was told that I have a cavity that required a dental inlay as it was a bit too big for a traditional filling. The term used I believe was a "Porcelain Inlay". I got an estimate for $560 after insurance. When I asked what the insurance paid they told me it's $1000 covered by the Ins. and $560 was my balance cost. So total was almost $1600 for what amounts to be the cost to fill a "slightly bigger" cavity.

This seems ridiculously expensive to me, I thought the cost after insurance to fill a cavity was around $100-200. I haven't had a cavity filled in ages so I don't know the current costs... does this sound legit?

Note - that I absolutely have no pain or discomfort in the area identified. However, I have been going to this dentist for the last 7 years so not sure what to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 03:49 PM

629 posts, read 920,168 times
An inlay is generally bigger than a filling, but smaller than a crown. Like a crown, however, it is an "indirect" restoration, meaning it must be fabricated by a dental lab or possibly done chairside by a milling machine. The costs are on par with a crown. $1600 seems high but it can depend on your area.

Just out of curiosity, is the name of your dentist's office something like "Your Town Modern Dentistry" or "Your Town Dental and Orthodontics"?

Old 12-12-2019, 06:14 PM

OK, I was a bit mistaken - the quote for $530 includes 2 inlays + 2 composite fillings for a total of 4 affected teeth. I have no idea why so many teeth because when I consulted with another dentist (in another country - India, during a recent visit a few weeks ago) they told me only 1 tooth upper right.

It's quoted at $600 per inlay with my portion around $250 or so each, so $250 x 2, + $15 x 2 for the composite fillings (all my co-pay).

In India where I just was when I saw the dentist I believe it's $80 for the same thing.

Old 12-13-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
OK, I was a bit mistaken - the quote for $530 includes 2 inlays + 2 composite fillings for a total of 4 affected teeth. I have no idea why so many teeth because when I consulted with another dentist (in another country - India, during a recent visit a few weeks ago) they told me only 1 tooth upper right.
Quote:

It's quoted at $600 per inlay with my portion around $250 or so each, so $250 x 2, + $15 x 2 for the composite fillings (all my co-pay).

In India where I just was when I saw the dentist I believe it's $80 for the same thing.

In India I am sure there is someone is willing do to your job for less money as well.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post

In India I am sure there is someone is willing do to your job for less money as well.
and American companies have shipped thousands of high paying tech jobs there as well while laying off American workers en masse to fatten their pockets.... if companies can take advantage of International markets then consumers can and should as well.

Old 12-16-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
and American companies have shipped thousands of high paying tech jobs there as well while laying off American workers en masse to fatten their pockets.... if companies can take advantage of International markets then consumers can and should as well.

You are assuming the quality of the product/service is the same regardless of where it is manufactured or rendered ("In India where I just was when I saw the dentist I believe it's $80 for the same thing."). I can't speak for all industries nor even all dentists, but generally speaking the quality of dental care in India is miles below what is offered in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health