Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 08:31 PM

15 posts, read 65,563 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear your opinions on Denver in general good bad okay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 07:43 AM

530 posts, read 2,625,472 times
Are you sure you have never been to Denver? It's right on top of you in Littleton.

"I live in Littleton, on the edge of denver in the foothills I think this is the best place for your circumstances. Close to c-470, your husband could get to DTC easily 10-20 minutes lots of IT jobs my brother is an IT and works there. The schools here are among the best in Jefferson county,especially Dakota ridge high school area,GREAT high school. The wheather here is very good considering how close to the mountians we are. Great mountain views around DRHS and lots of shopping on the C470 route,oh and remember NO NORTHERN FACING HOUSES the snow will stay on your driveway and around your street for days when all other snow has melted, on a better note, check it out I love this area"

Old 06-21-2007, 12:29 PM

I do live in denver,asking about others opinions who have never been to Denver. Notice the question mark after Never been to Denver?

Old 06-21-2007, 12:45 PM

530 posts, read 2,625,472 times
Sorry, my bad. I guess I'm just getting tired of all of the negative posts around here. I lived in Michigan and New Orleans and if people here in CO think it's bad, try living in Detroit or Hurricane ravaged Louisiana. Again, sorry 'bout the post.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:28 PM

My mothers whole side of the family lives in detroit, scary place...also Ive lived in detroit for 2 months, needless to say im glad I live here in Denver now

Old 06-29-2007, 06:49 PM

34 posts, read 191,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micktooth View Post
Sorry, my bad. I guess I'm just getting tired of all of the negative posts around here. I lived in Michigan and New Orleans and if people here in CO think it's bad, try living in Detroit or Hurricane ravaged Louisiana. Again, sorry 'bout the post.

Metro Detroit gets a bad rap. The inter city can be dangerous. I would compare it to, in looks, to Denver around 40th and York, and the indusrial part of Commerce City. The reputation would be like Northeast Denver/Northwest Aurora.

Most of suburbs are nice. We have lakes and woods. We also have heat and humidity in the summer.

Work forced me out to Denver last fall. I would rather be back in Michigan. I have a nice home in the country there, that I can't sell for 250K (the real estate market is a lot worse there than here). They same place here would run me at least 400K, which is way out of may price range, so I'll have to settle for a home that I'll never love.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:20 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
I'm thinking of taking a trip to Denver in 3 weeks. I am a little fascinated by it so far. From what I have read it sounds really nice. One thing I'm worried about is the amount of people moving there. I'm a Phx native and it's a bit sad to see this place get so big. Just too many people here. I wouldn't want to move to another place that has the same problem.

But I really would like a little less heat (well, a lot less actually) and mountains to look at. I also want to check out Seattle and Portland one day.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:15 PM

127 posts, read 434,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
But I really would like a little less heat (well, a lot less actually) and mountains to look at. I also want to check out Seattle and Portland one day.

Sablebaby:

Have lived in Arizona almost 15 years but spent my first 25 in Portland, Oregon. I would suggest visiting Portland as it is a city with a great metropolitan feel without such a sizeable population from Phoenix. You are only one hour from Mt. Hood, 1.5 hours to the coast and 3 hours to Central Oregon which has Mt. Bachelor and Bend Oregon which are Ski destinations.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:47 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times
My sister lives in Loveland which is about an hour from Denver...I couldn't take the weather there.

When we are having sunny days with reasonable temps they are having blizzards where my sister can't even see the street...thats not for me.

My parents used to have a house up in the mountains near Estes Park and I would always get so dried out up there...I used to sleep under a humidifier and go through lotion and chapstick like crazy.

I guess its just what you get used to...I actually like the humidity here in Florida, my sister is wilting when she is here in the winter...I can't imagine how she would cope if she ever came in the summer.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:10 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I'm thinking of taking a trip to Denver in 3 weeks. I am a little fascinated by it so far. From what I have read it sounds really nice. One thing I'm worried about is the amount of people moving there. I'm a Phx native and it's a bit sad to see this place get so big. Just too many people here. I wouldn't want to move to another place that has the same problem.

I too considered Denver from Phoenix. Your complaint that it's too big here will not be solved by moving to Denver. The area is vast and the whole Front Range, from my many visits in the past two years, is getting to be one big urban area. The spaces between Colorado Springs and Fort Collins are no longer empty. I have also lived in Seattle, in fact I moved there directly from Phoenix (though I'm back in Phoenix now). If you like damp weather, Seattle is a good place. Your complexion will be fantastic, as I noticed most of the people in Seattle were porcelain. Seattle is in many ways the polar opposite of Phoenix. What was hot will be cold. What was dry will be wet. What was sensible roadways and addresses will be a complex system that requires a map. Don't get me wrong, I loved Seattle. What forced me to move away was the latitude. Summer days last from 4:30 to 9:30 and winter days last from 8:00 to 4:00. That's a considerable seasonal shift that may impact your ability to sleep. In winter, the streetlights come on around 3PM because it's already that dark in the afternoon. The gloom can become oppressive, just like Phoenix's heat and the dampness can keep you chained to the indoors for longer than you're comfortable with. Seattleites have adapted to this by being some of the most literate people in the country: their libraries are busy places! If you have any tendency for depression, Seattle is not a good place for you. Portland suffers from the same lack of sunshine and abundance of rainy days. On clear days, there's no place more wonderful than Seattle. The views to the mountains are sublime, the forested parks all around the city are pleasant. The nightlife and energy of the city is ideal. It matches the energy of Denver as both cities are about the same size. Strangely, I think it's easier to find solace and wilderness around Seattle than Denver. Both are good places to live, but I don't think you'll find them any less sprawling (in real day to day terms) than what you experience in Phoenix. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver