Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 10:11 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times

Advertisements

I don't know enough about Westminster to comment. Another northern suburb worth checking out would be Arvada as it has an older central downtown with character including older homes. It has bike trails, an amazing rec center (Apex) an arts center, a library right downtown and good schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 12:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
It is hard to find a neighborhood that has both tons of kids for your kids to play with and people of all ages. From my own experience in my own neighborhood, I'd recommend an area with houses 20-30 years old with "family style" houses. My neighborhood was built in that time frame; the last houses were built about 20 years ago, mine was built in 1980. At first (so I've heard), the neighborhood was full of little kids, and when we moved here in 1989, there was still a long line at the school bus stop, including first one of mine and then both of them, then one again, etc. When houses sell, they usually turn over to young families. So we do have that admixture. Some of the original owners are still here, and we are long timers at 21 years. We've gone from parents of a two year old to empty nesters.

Public rec centers are available in most areas, not always withing walking distance, especially for little kids. Plenty of trails. Most areas have some access to shopping, coffee shops, etc. It may not always be walkable, esp. with little kids.

I'm not sure what you're talking about re: appreciation for the arts. Most areas have community theater, and there is the Denver Center for the Perfoming Arts. Arvada also has a large performing arts center. I don't know as much about the east side of Denver. The area colleges also offer performing arts programs.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:04 PM

34 posts, read 75,727 times
katiana, i like the point you make about getting a slightly older house for a variety of age groups.. from what i've seen, that really seems to be true.

dorthy, arvada seems like it might be suitable for me..

i now have rolling around in my head arvada, westminster, and louisville, as well as littleton, stapleton... it's like a blur sort of, hard to imagine what the difference is between these. i'm trying to get a sense of how northwest (? - btw. boulder and denver) compares with southeast (? - littleton, stapleton). it's looking like finding a good area that is technically in the city, with pretty good schools, is next to impossible.. true? i grew up in a house like that. it felt like the burbs, was closer to better city schools, yet had the benefits of lower property taxes, pretty easy access to anywhere in the city, and no hoa (i know most people would not agree w/ me about the hoa. we were fortunate where we were located because property values remained good there, and I personally prefer to not have the fees. I also like to have the freedom to do whatever I want with the home I own without having to get permission).

Old 07-10-2010, 07:17 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
I live in the most famous subdivision in the Denver area, Highlands Ranch.

For my $125 a quarter HOA fee I have access to 8 swimming pools, batting cages, tennis courts, racquetball, dance, yoga, kid camps, walking trails, fitness classes....

Old 07-10-2010, 07:35 PM

34 posts, read 75,727 times
wow 2b, for about $500 per year, i have access to maintaining a lovely gardened entryway to our subdivision........... and lots and lots of rules, expectations, and permission-getting. oh, and my $10,000+ per yr taxes!

that is outstanding, does the same pretty much hold true for all subdivisions with HOA's?

Old 07-10-2010, 07:53 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Douglas County runs about 1% of the assessed value for property taxes. Assessed value is usually less than fair market value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver