U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,386 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are seriously considering relocating to the Denver area. We have a dog that is part pit bull and don't want to move to an area where there is a ban. When we visited last year, we really liked Highlands, but subsequently learned about the pit bull ban so we need to find a place outside of Denver.

We will be renting when we first move, but are interested in finding an area where we can eventually buy a home and have kids. So we are looking for:

-big yards and lots of parks - access to bike paths and hiking trails
-a walkable city center or traditional "main street"
-good schools
-no pit bull bans
-families with young children
-public transportation (<30 min commute to Denver)
-a neighborhood with some character and older homes (not really into brand new developments)

So far, we have heard good things about Littleton, Lakewood, Golden and Westminister. Which of these cities/towns would be a good fit? We are open to other suggestions and would love any input/info you may have to help us with our decision.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 08:50 AM

147 posts, read 204,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo2010 View Post
My husband and I are seriously considering relocating to the Denver area. We have a dog that is part pit bull and don't want to move to an area where there is a ban. When we visited last year, we really liked Highlands, but subsequently learned about the pit bull ban so we need to find a place outside of Denver.

We will be renting when we first move, but are interested in finding an area where we can eventually buy a home and have kids. So we are looking for:

-big yards and lots of parks - access to bike paths and hiking trails
-a walkable city center or traditional "main street"
-good schools
-no pit bull bans
-families with young children
-public transportation (<30 min commute to Denver)
-a neighborhood with some character and older homes (not really into brand new developments)

So far, we have heard good things about Littleton, Lakewood, Golden and Westminister. Which of these cities/towns would be a good fit? We are open to other suggestions and would love any input/info you may have to help us with our decision.

Thanks.
I would recommend Littleton. I live there now and I see lots of dogs running around all the time. It sits right at the base of the foothills, is affordable, and Chatfield Reservoir is beautiful.
- Lots of families in the area
- DT Littleton has the charm and age that you are hoping for
- School are good, from what I understand (I don't have kids)
- Great shopping in all areas of the whole city, west, north, south and east (though that mall area is a bit sketchy)
- Public transportation is good, but I would stay near the fastrax (our idea of metro station/subway (above ground)), and it does not yet go to the north burbs, but they are working on it.
- Busses take you to the stations, btw. Then you hop on and it takes you to downtown and you can walk or take shuttles around there. Littleton has a great RTD train depot that will run you right into DT. That is also near the cute olde town area of Littleton.

I know that Aurora, Denver and other areas have bans on pitbulls. I would google PB bans in Denver area and then go from there. Golden is really pretty, but can be a bit of a drive. Lakewood is nice, as well. It's a western-ish suburb and it's affordable, but some areas can be sketchy, just like in all cities.

The people, weather and cost of living is wonderful. You will love the sunshine which shows itself more than 300 days a year. And if you like to ride your bike, run and play in parks, hike and play with your pooch, Denver is the place for you.

I will miss it very much when I head east for my job in the next few weeks.

Much luck to you.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:27 AM

90,377 posts, read 111,577,594 times
Lakewood and Westminster do not have traditional downtowns. Lakewood has a "center", called BelMar that is patterned after a downtown, but it's not the same (IMO). It has never had a traditional downtown.

There are few big yards anywhere in the metro area. Plenty of good schools and families with young children. Plenty of neighborhoods with older homes in most of the inner-ring burbs, however, some of these are cookie-cutter-ish as well. Good public transportation pretty much everywhere in the metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver