Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:07 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times

Advertisements

Have you tried Potager in Wash Park? Expensive, but worth it. Reminds me very much of the restaurants I grew to love while living in Sonoma County, north of San Francisco. Menu changes frequently depending on what's seasonal and fresh. Nice wine list, too. Last time I was there, I had mahi mahi with a "salsa" of cherries, sugar snap peas, mint, and almonds. Outstanding! The restaurant is on summer hiatus and will re-open in August. My husband and I try to go at least a few times a year. No reservations taken. Dressy casual.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 07-13-2010 at 09:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 09:08 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreMove View Post
Not sure how to respond to that one
You don't. No need to try and have the "last word" with someone on the internet.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:37 AM

151 posts, read 397,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
You don't. No need to try and have the "last word" with someone on the internet.
It's all in good fun dude. My rejoinders are by no means malicious.

Unless you're from California, in which case they're highly malicious.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:00 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreMove View Post
I have only eaten at Tommy's once, although I lived 3 blocks from there for 8 months. Their food, while tasty, has drifted from authentic Thai food in presentation, spice balance, ingredients, just about everything. Most importantly they don't seem to be minding the all-important 'balance' aspect of Thai food, instead going with crude and heavy handing spicing.

Lots of restaurants win awards because the food tastes good, which is great but that doesn't make them authentic. In most cases, that's fine! I am always looking for the closest thing to the 'real thing', though!

I have eaten at Pho 79 and it's awesome, although I'm no Pho expert so I don't really know if a Vietnamese food expert would agree
You are locked in to the idea of food preparation as being "authentic" or "real" You are showing pretensions that are really not indicative of reality in foods. You are trying to make cooking a precise science, when it is just an Art, so you can make a pedantic show of knowledge. Even professional cookbook manuals that define the naming of "classical" dishes are not written so precisely.

Actually, "authenticity" of ingredients and preparations varies for all food, even in the country of origin. It differs from region to region; It differs in the same region and also in the same city. Also, foods changes as it moves from one country to another. That "authentic" dish develops a new authenticity, so to speak, in the new country.

It depends on many factors. The ingredients that are available which varies from area to area and it ingredients vary from season to season. People talk about a classical preparation of a dish, thinking that is the best way or the only way. In many cases, it was the ingredients that was available, at the time, the place or the season. It also depends much on the equipment and facilities available. Let us, also, not forget the ever changing taste of people. Every food evolves over time, even in the alleged country of origin. So, the "authenticity" can change over time.

Eventually it all comes down to the cook and how he interprets a preparation and what are his preference for taste and presentation.

I do know a little of a lot and lot of a little. Yea, I have years of food experience but I am at the age were I now realize I do not know it all. Yea, I graduated from The Culinary Institute of America, many decades ago before this food fad began. I know what you are thinking-big deal.

So, before you make a sophisticated show of food knowledge that you wear on your sleeve, just relax and realize the rules are transitory and know the most important point-if you like it, then it is good food.

Livecontent

Old 07-14-2010, 09:12 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
In many cultures around the world, the whole idea of eating out in a restaurant is a foreign concept. Example: Iranian/Persian cuisine (and probably most middle eastern cultures). If you want the truly authentic stuff, you have to eat a home cooked meal prepared by immigrants from the country of interest with recipes passed down (typically mother to daughter) generation after generation.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:37 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
...just relax and realize the rules are transitory and know the most important point-if you like it, then it is good food. Livecontent
That's like Professor PDQ Bach who says about music: "...if it sounds good, it IS good!" Same for food, if it tastes good, it IS good.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-14-2010 at 09:49 AM..

Old 07-14-2010, 10:28 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
In many cultures around the world, the whole idea of eating out in a restaurant is a foreign concept. Example: Iranian/Persian cuisine (and probably most middle eastern cultures). If you want the truly authentic stuff, you have to eat a home cooked meal prepared by immigrants from the country of interest with recipes passed down (typically mother to daughter) generation after generation.
Even those recipes change over time. All cooking is influenced by other cuisines and other cultures. So, that we end up with is a melding and fusion of preparations and influences.

All my grandparents, both sides, originated from Sicily. The preparations of food that have been passed down to me all have changed. For, example I live in here, in the Southwest. Some preparations, both savory and pastries, made use of Pignoli nuts because they were the cheap available pine nut available in Sicily. The pine nut that is available here, cheaply, is the Pinion nut. There are some differences between these nuts. I am not going to pay the prices to buy the imported pignoli because someone tells me that it is the "authentic" ingredient, while the pinion nut is available fresh, locally.

I find myself changing many family recipes with what is available from the wonderful cultures of the Americas. Also, I change those dishes with additions of my own experiences. I regularly make my own re-fried beans from dry pintos but I add Olive Olive and Cider Vinegar. It that heresy?? or must I always follow the orthodoxy of the "authentic".

Let us not forget that ingredients become available as they are discovered. So, Thai cooking and all Asian Cooking did not have the use of the peppers before the 16th century because they are a product of the New World of the Americas. Or, we are just to say that recipes before that time are the ONLY authentic preparations.

Livecontent

Old 07-14-2010, 10:49 AM

420 posts, read 768,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FentonForche View Post
Immanuel Kant is rolling over in his grave over your sophistry.

Sophocles is rolling over in his grave over your kantistry

----
Pho 79 is a Denver chain. Theres one in the Vietnamese part of Denver and in Westy. Pho555 is better though, its on Mississippi and Federal

Old 07-15-2010, 09:25 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaekn View Post
Pho 79 is a Denver chain. Theres one in the Vietnamese part of Denver and in Westy. Pho555 is better though, its on Mississippi and Federal
Hmmm... I'll have to check out Pho555. Good to know!

Old 07-15-2010, 10:04 AM

25 posts, read 61,231 times
Potager is nowhere near Washington Park, it is at 11th and Ogden. Good place though.

Beatrice and Woodsley on south Broadway is one of my favorite places lately. Cuba Cuba has also been good for years.

I think the best Pho is on Havana at Mississippi, Pho 79 I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver