Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Older couple seeking information from others who have moved out of Denver area due to harsh winters, winter in Denver metro area forcing older people to move away

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 07:57 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,341,634 times

Advertisements

It looks like we're starting to get a little off topic. Lets try to keep it to the what the OP originally intended. Who dislikes the winter weather in Denver? Personally I love the winter weather but I can understand how someone would find the constantly changing temperatures and weather patterns hard to handle, especially someone from a warmer climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 11:40 PM

35 posts, read 290,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Ok, here's one thing I'll agree with you one: after following a whole bunch of city-data.com forums for the last six months, hearing what people all over the country have to say about their weather, I'm starting to think, it is a mistake for Coloradans to market their climate as "mild" or to downplay the winters. The climate along the Front Range is full of extremes, weather turbulences, and it's dry, windy, and barren. The summers are hot with dangerous thunderstorms every day, and the winters are cold. Sometimes with snaps of Arctic cold. Sometimes with mega dumps of snow. I live in (or rather, I am stuck in) Arizona right now, so I know what truly mild winters are all about. I'm living in Phoenix, ground zero of the southwest desert right now, so I see what the Sunbelt is all about, and the people who it attracts, first hand. After living in both climate extremes, I can tell you, Denver is the better place to live, hands down. Denver is a better place to settle down and live year round. Phoenix and Arizona (and Florida) is great to take a vacation in the winter when you want to warm up for a little bit.

Man has known how to use fire and warm himself up for hundreds of thousands of years-- but air conditioning was only invented around 60 years ago. Here's a little rule of thumb I've discovered first hand over the last few years-- the farther south you go in this country, the dumber the population gets. The southern and southwestern states are routinely ranked the worst when it comes to health, education, poverty, and violent crime. I can't imagine a worse place to live than Florida. The kind of people who would leave a great city or town "up north" to relocate farther south, for no reason other than they can't take the winter, are not exactly those with the most self-discipline and character. Experiencing the Colorado winter every year toughens you up. Not to mention, winter in Colorado is arguably the most beautiful season of the year! There is nothing more scenic than a blanket of snow covering the ground with pondeBullBoxer31 and blue spruces around, under a blue sunny sky.

I would argue the two weeks of the year when Green Mountain is actually green is the most beautiful time of year here. Perhaps it depends on the neighborhood in which one lives? I am not sure what dealing with winter has to do with character either... As people age, joint problems and arthritis tend to develop, and cold weather doesn't help those conditions. So migrating south likely has more to do with health reasons and personal preferences than a "lack of character."

I don't think "the further south you get, the dumber people get" comment was very appropriate, or true. Aren't you from Colorado?

I didn't find anything beautiful about the unplowed roads or all the accidents this winter...but that's just me. Stapleton doesn't have old growth trees on which the snow collects, so it really wasn't impressive. I love winters in the NE.

I'm still amazed at the ability of Denver drivers to flip cars on a dry road, so needless to say, the winter driving was rough, especially since they don't remove the snow from the roads (I know, it supposedly melts, except when it doesn't)!

I've experienced winters in Boston, so when I heard about how mild Denver's winters were, I was really expecting something mild. In my opinion, it's not mild. At least they know how to remove snow back east!

I appreciate LoveBoating's candid comments, and wish people had been more truthful about certain aspects of Denver before I made the move. I regret moving to Denver, and will be leaving in less than a year. Sure, I may be in the minority, but I'm not alone in disliking aspects of Denver. I think it's important that potential residents be informed about the cons as well as the pros of living in Denver.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:03 AM

458 posts, read 2,775,305 times
I haven't ever lived in Denver to move out because of the winters, but I have scratched moving into Denver because of the winters though. I'm not a winter cold weather type person and I seriously gave Denver some thought awhile back. I'm considering Dallas or Phoenix which both get incredibly hot but I'll take a bad summer over a bad winter any day.

If it weren't for the colder climate, I'd definitly consider Denver and it would probably be on the top of my list. If you don't mind the cold and snow, Denver is great.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:50 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonM View Post
I would argue the two weeks of the year when Green Mountain is actually green is the most beautiful time of year here. Perhaps it depends on the neighborhood in which one lives? I am not sure what dealing with winter has to do with character either... As people age, joint problems and arthritis tend to develop, and cold weather doesn't help those conditions. So migrating south likely has more to do with health reasons and personal preferences than a "lack of character."

I don't think "the further south you get, the dumber people get" comment was very appropriate, or true. Aren't you from Colorado?
Okay, I'm sorry about that comment I made-- I agree, that was a little harsh. Still generally true though. If anything, I'm the dummy for moving from Denver to Phoenix. Ten more months, though, and I'm moving right back! But there are always exceptions, and there are many nice pockets within the southern half of the US. I really like Virginia and North Carolina, in particular, but according to many that's not even the real south. I actually love Arizona-- as a place to visit. It's just that living here full time is a disappointment. And even if you're living in a sub-par area, you can always try find your own niche and be happy. And I totally agree, Colorado is not the ideal place for older people who have physical ailments. That's why Sun City, AZ exists!

Old 07-19-2007, 04:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Okay, I'm sorry about that comment I made-- I agree, that was a little harsh. Still generally true though. If anything, I'm the dummy for moving from Denver to Phoenix. Ten more months, though, and I'm moving right back! But there are always exceptions, and there are many nice pockets within the southern half of the US. I really like Virginia and North Carolina, in particular, but according to many that's not even the real south. I actually love Arizona-- as a place to visit. It's just that living here full time is a disappointment. And even if you're living in a sub-par area, you can always try find your own niche and be happy. And I totally agree, Colorado is not the ideal place for older people who have physical ailments. That's why Sun City, AZ exists!
"Sub-par" is strictly a matter of opinion.
I did not leave Colorado because I had arthritis or any other physical ailments. I left for new opportunities, and to get away from harsh temperature extremes in general, and cold weather in particular.
I agree with BSL63087:
Quote:
but I'll take a bad summer over a bad winter any day.
North Florida works very well for me--but I can appreciate why so many people are interested in Colorado.
I just don't want them to waltz into the Promised Land not having the slightest idea of what black ice is, or that I-25 can be closed in late April because of heavy snow.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 6,631 times
So many people have terrible misconceptions about Colorado weather! I'm from Denver and get cold VERY easily! Having said that, If you're looking for a place with all four season, Colorado is the place to be. I am also a student in Chicago and never realized how good it was in Colorado until I experience winter elsewhere!

Old 07-23-2007, 10:24 AM

56 posts, read 197,437 times
I moved here from the midwest and was here last winter - which everyone is saying is bad - Um no. It was beautiful.

Yes, it will dump. And it will all be melted by 3 PM. And it might happen again the next day or it might not happen for 2 weeks. It's not cold at all... not compared to the midwest... the sun will come out after the snow spat and will warm your skin and make you feel good. The sky is the thickest blue you've ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver