Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Older couple seeking information from others who have moved out of Denver area due to harsh winters, winter in Denver metro area forcing older people to move away

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 09:29 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,366,150 times

Advertisements

I read in one Thread that a good number of people have moved out of the Denver area because they found out that they just couldn't handle the winters here.......no matter how "mild" people here say they are.
Did you move out or do you know someone who did?
For folks who in the younger age bracket (young kids/Adults in 20's/30's/early 40's) who love snowboarding and skiing, they love the winters here......."the more snow, the better" they may say. But, what about people who grew up/are from a non-snow area or are from the older generation (50's/60's/70's and up) who can no longer handle the so-called "mild" winters here?
We have lived here in the south Denver metro area for the last 5 years and we have video and photos of some pretty bad snow storms and blizzards. We have drove thru "white-out" conditions, shoveled our fair share of deep snow and "shivered" outside when the temp has dropped to teen's and below.
Even though we have loved living here in Englewood/Parker area for the last 5years, it is definitely time to "move on". At ages 58 and 59, our bodies just can NOT handle winter here anymore.
But, back to the question of this Thread, "did winter in the Denver area force you to move out (or someone you know)?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 11:10 AM

530 posts, read 2,625,071 times
LB, I'm sorry you have had a rough time in the winters here. I'm sorry you fell and injured yourself. But the fact is, most people love it here. I've lived in NY and MI and the winters in Denver are milder, you should know, you've lived in the midwest. I've also lived in TX and LA. The heat and humidity are extremely oppressive, yes even in Charlotte. I have good friends in Charlotte and they have gotten some nasty ice storms in the past. I guess what I'm trying to say is that no place is perfect. Some places are better than others depending on one's individual needs. Unfortunately, Colorado did not suit yours. I wish you well in NC and come back to visit us here in beautiful Colorado at any time.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:39 PM

147 posts, read 627,186 times
LoveBoating -

Yes, I do know of several long time residents that have moved either out of state or to a warmer part of the state, i.e. western slope. After 35 years on the front range (Fort Collins, Denver, Colorado Springs), my husband and I finally moved down to the southwest corner of the state. The blizzards, snow shoveling, and commutes on icy roads from the "mild" winters does tend to wear you down as you get older.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:28 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradoan View Post
Yes, I do know of several long time residents that have moved either out of state or to a warmer part of the state, i.e. western slope. After 35 years on the front range (Fort Collins, Denver, Colorado Springs), my husband and I finally moved down to the southwest corner of the state. The blizzards, snow shoveling, and commutes on icy roads from the "mild" winters does tend to wear you down as you get older.
I think the key words here are "as you get older."
We never even thought of leaving Colorado until we approached our 50's (we are now 52 and 54.)
As I have said so many times before, it is not so much the winter itself, during the winter months, which can sometimes be *quite* mild.
It is the length of it.
It is the fact that you can be driving on black ice and cleaning up broken branches in April, or shoveling snow instead of enjoying fall color.
It did wear me down.
But of course no place is perfect. Sometimes people simply need a change and want to deal with new and different aggravations.
I suppose some younger people from warm climates might be disillusioned by their first Colorado winter, I have friends from the South who moved back after a couple years. But that might have been more cultural than meteorological.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:39 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,027,375 times
Over the decades, TENS of millions have moved from the 'cold' northeast to FL, AZ, NV, CA, dixie, etc. I had a pal in Staten Island who moved to OK. Not a big deal. At some point, people get tired of winter, no matter where. Lots of people are moving to NC, SC, GA from the northeast and that includes a lot of 'halfbacks' from FL (people from the northeast who moved to FL, found it TOO hot, humid and buggy, so they move half way back to NY, thus the term 'halfbacks'). Best of luck to you in NC. We love it here in COL SPGS, ain't going back.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:11 PM

22 posts, read 105,920 times
People keep saying "mild", and the truth is that they are. You hear it because Denver is fairly dry during the winter. Big snowstorms are rare in December, January, and Febuary. However, you'll get a significant snow storm now and then during the transition periods (fall and spring). Also, blizzards sound scary but most of the time are gone within a couple of days. Youll find it will be in the 60's a couple days after a major snowstorm and the snow will be going down fast.

The exception to this was the december blizzard last year. However, as I already mentioned, these are rare.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:12 PM

13 posts, read 55,784 times
Sometimes you just need to leave LoveBoating. We have been watching this board for a year or so and we finally made the move to Parker, CO from Michigan. Not every state is perfect for every person. It just seems reading your posts that your are trying to convince yourselfs that you should leave. It also sounds like you are trying to feed negative information to people on this forum simply to satisfy your frustration and to justify your move somehow. People are generally smart enough to know that moving to CO will bring snow. You lived here during some bad snow storms so it's understandable you think it's a bad climate. I believe you said you are from the east. You should know bad winters if you came from the east. We were gonna move to NC too until several family and friends of ours moved there and moved out within 3 years. That didn't like it, but you may.

All people like different things and different climates etc. Convincing people that Colorado's weather is bad or someone doing the same with another state is not right. If you made a mistake moving here, pack up and head to that "perfect" place. You need to go somewhere that makes you happy.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:45 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,580,646 times
Sorry to hear Denver isn't the place for you. I am from Iowa, live in California now, and just went back to Iowa for a visit. Now there is a state that people should be leaving due to weather. It was in the mid 90's with 90% humidity the whole time we were there. Then in the winter, it gets into the single digits with 50 mph wind for WEEKS on end.

Me myself am more of a cold weather person. I dont due heat and humidity. I'll gladly take your place in Colorado.

Actually, I am looking into relocating to Montrose once I get out of the service.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:49 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,305,683 times
I've been living in Arizona for the last three years, and as soon as I graduate from ASU next year, I'm heading straight back to Colorado! I miss the Colorado winters. It gets cold, yes, but cold and sunny! And for the record, yes, I was back home last December when we got blasted with the 2 big storms. And yes, I had to shovel my parents' three car garage driveway. Driving around was not fun, but other than that I didn't think it was that bad. Having some cold in the winter toughens you up a little, and getting the occasional snow is very refreshing. Living in a place with cold winters is also more in line with mainstream American culture, especially once the holiday season comes around.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:02 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,399,660 times
I am originally from near Buffalo, NY and I moved here 28 yrs. ago from Texas. So I know what real winters are like and Colorado winters are very mild(with the rare exception of last year). Most Holidays in December have been snow free. There is less humidity and a 40 degree day here feels like a 60 degree day in New York and the additional sunshine is an added benefit with very few overcast days. I am near 60 years old and yes I have noticed that the severe wet weather gives me real arthritic pain but the days of winter gives me a chance to get away from yard work and to snuggle with a hot chocolate. In addition I believe winters are beneficial in controlling insects and transients; if you have lived in the south you know what I mean.

Did you know that The United States Antarctic Program is managed in Colorado? I worked for the program for a number of years and I had the frozen pleasure of being able to go to the Antarctic---no insects and the only place in the world which is rat free and no transients living on the side of the roads. Denver is a tropical paradise compared to "The Ice" as it is known and Buffalo, New York is worse than the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver