Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 11:58 PM

87 posts, read 186,153 times

Advertisements

First off, would YOU move to Denver if you didn't have a job already set? I have a lot in savings and I'm planning on renting a room when I first move so I don't have a lease, but I'm still chancing it considering I won't have any sure sort of employment. Secondly, how's the general public? Friendly, rude, take or leave 'em, obnoxiously nice? Truly, I'm a really down-to-earth guy with a wild, freak somewhere in me, but I enjoy being mostly surrounded by sane, and at the very least, cordial people. Lastly, how's traffic? If you could directly compare it to Dallas's that would be great.

Thanks!
Cameron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 12:39 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,294,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hype View Post
First off, would YOU move to Denver if you didn't have a job already set?
NO. And right now, you could do much worse than Dallas or any of the big cities in Texas as a place to live while you ride out the depression. I personally wouldn't want to move to Dallas, but you're already there, so nothing lost. It just doesn't make any sense to quit a job and leave Dallas which has a much larger, healthier economy (although according to the stats, Denver's unemployment rate is 7.7% vs 8.1% for Dallas) to come to Denver, without a job, in a time like this. Denver might be better than the national average, but it is still EXCRUCIATINGLY hard to find a job here, even with top credentials. Ask yourself this-- what is the longest amount of time you personally have been unemployed before? Do you really think you could stomach being unemployed for 6 months? (a ballpark average figure of how long it could take find a job once unemployed-- you could be lucky and find a job much sooner-- or you could get screwed and find you still don't have a job after 6 months). The longer you are unemployed, the more desperate you become.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:56 AM

299 posts, read 711,640 times
Quote:
First off, would YOU move to Denver if you didn't have a job already set? I have a lot in savings and I'm planning on renting a room when I first move so I don't have a lease, but I'm still chancing it considering I won't have any sure sort of employment.
Only you can determine your tolerance of risk, and moving to a new city with no source of income is a risk. It really depends on just how much you have in savings and what your requirements are. If you have no family or other responsibilities, it might be fine. But, the job market is tough these days so think it through hard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
NO. And right now, you could do much worse than Dallas or any of the big cities in Texas as a place to live while you ride out the depression.
I think your advice is good, but by just about any definition we are in a recession, not a depression!

Old 07-21-2010, 10:25 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,404,617 times
Quote:
First off, would YOU move to Denver if you didn't have a job already set?
My wife and I did.... October of 2009. I haven't found anything and my wife leaves every Sunday and comes home every Friday from working a contract in Wyoming. It's tough here ~ if you have ANY experience in anything, you won't be hired for low wage jobs (they know you'll jump ship the first chance), and you'll have a ton of competition for the jobs within your experience range. Doesn't mean that you won't get the first job you interview for, just that there's a lot of competition.

People here are generally cordial but not friendly in my experience. I consider it a good morning when I have more people say hello on my morning walk than not, and most of these people I see day in and day out. On the road, though, there's a ton of very, VERY bad drivers (speeding, on phones, texting, generally doing everything in their power to create accident situations) and the rest of us just trying to get through the day without being hit. Last time I was in a city (Atlanta) was before texting had come about and traffic was WORLDS better there despite the vast difference in populations. So maybe it'll be no change at all for you coming from Dallas (other than fewer cars on the roads).

Old 07-21-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
NO. And right now, you could do much worse than Dallas or any of the big cities in Texas as a place to live while you ride out the depression. I personally wouldn't want to move to Dallas, but you're already there, so nothing lost. It just doesn't make any sense to quit a job and leave Dallas which has a much larger, healthier economy (although according to the stats, Denver's unemployment rate is 7.7% vs 8.1% for Dallas) to come to Denver, without a job, in a time like this. Denver might be better than the national average, but it is still EXCRUCIATINGLY hard to find a job here, even with top credentials. Ask yourself this-- what is the longest amount of time you personally have been unemployed before? Do you really think you could stomach being unemployed for 6 months? (a ballpark average figure of how long it could take find a job once unemployed-- you could be lucky and find a job much sooner-- or you could get screwed and find you still don't have a job after 6 months). The longer you are unemployed, the more desperate you become.
Well, here's the deal on that - I'm not going without food. If I can't get any form of paying job within the first few weeks of living there, I'll most likely just move back in with my parents, considering most 18 year olds don't do such bold things anyway, I wouldn't be too embarrassed by it.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreMove View Post
Only you can determine your tolerance of risk, and moving to a new city with no source of income is a risk. It really depends on just how much you have in savings and what your requirements are. If you have no family or other responsibilities, it might be fine. But, the job market is tough these days so think it through hard!

I think your advice is good, but by just about any definition we are in a recession, not a depression!

Well, I really don't have any ties - no family to support, and I did find a room for 300 including utilities in Golden. So, with that in mind, I'll still think about it, but I'm so anxious to get out of town...

Old 07-21-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
My wife and I did.... October of 2009. I haven't found anything and my wife leaves every Sunday and comes home every Friday from working a contract in Wyoming. It's tough here ~ if you have ANY experience in anything, you won't be hired for low wage jobs (they know you'll jump ship the first chance), and you'll have a ton of competition for the jobs within your experience range. Doesn't mean that you won't get the first job you interview for, just that there's a lot of competition.

People here are generally cordial but not friendly in my experience. I consider it a good morning when I have more people say hello on my morning walk than not, and most of these people I see day in and day out. On the road, though, there's a ton of very, VERY bad drivers (speeding, on phones, texting, generally doing everything in their power to create accident situations) and the rest of us just trying to get through the day without being hit. Last time I was in a city (Atlanta) was before texting had come about and traffic was WORLDS better there despite the vast difference in populations. So maybe it'll be no change at all for you coming from Dallas (other than fewer cars on the roads).
That's discouraging. I am sorry to hear that, though. Other than finances, do you like the city? If it comes down to it, I guess I can just pretend to have no experience and seem not so knowledgeable about the general workforce. haa. Traffic: from what you've said I don't think I'll see anything new.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:20 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,294,399 times
Quote:
Well, here's the deal on that - I'm not going without food. If I can't get any form of paying job within the first few weeks of living there, I'll most likely just move back in with my parents, considering most 18 year olds don't do such bold things anyway, I wouldn't be too embarrassed by it.
18 years old? Man was I off in my guess of how old you were! I need to start asking this info before I can respond, because everybody's life situation is different. For some reason I had assumed you were in your twenties. I guess I'm so used to profiling new posters here. Knowing this now, in some ways this will be easier, since you don't have degrees or years of experience in skilled labor which would automatically make you "overqualified" for a job. If you just recently graduated high school (another big assumption here) they'll see that you're 18 or something pretty close. But it will still not be an easy task to do.

If you want to do it just as a several week vacation/ trial attempt, then in that case, nothing to lose. But realistically, I'd give yourself a good 6-8 weeks before coming to any conclusions. Even during a good economy, it can take 3 weeks just to hear back from an application submission. I'd give yourself a good 6-8 weeks of pounding the pavement, going door to door all over Denver looking for work. Hit up all the grocery stores, Wal-Marts, big box stores, malls, as well as restaurants, etc that you can possibly find. Do you have a car, at least while you job search? Internet access (so many places these days will tell you to "apply online," although you always want to walk in and ask anyway).

What are your long term goals? Do you plan on attending college... or even community college? Have you researched the situation on having resident vs non-resident tuition rates? You want to be careful to not put yourself in a situation where neither CO nor TX would consider you an in-state resident.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:54 PM

25 posts, read 61,219 times
Not to jump to conclusions, but you sound like a gay guy looking for a place to land. Denver is very gay friendly, especially around the core.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
18 years old? Man was I off in my guess of how old you were! I need to start asking this info before I can respond, because everybody's life situation is different. For some reason I had assumed you were in your twenties. I guess I'm so used to profiling new posters here. Knowing this now, in some ways this will be easier, since you don't have degrees or years of experience in skilled labor which would automatically make you "overqualified" for a job. If you just recently graduated high school (another big assumption here) they'll see that you're 18 or something pretty close. But it will still not be an easy task to do.

If you want to do it just as a several week vacation/ trial attempt, then in that case, nothing to lose. But realistically, I'd give yourself a good 6-8 weeks before coming to any conclusions. Even during a good economy, it can take 3 weeks just to hear back from an application submission. I'd give yourself a good 6-8 weeks of pounding the pavement, going door to door all over Denver looking for work. Hit up all the grocery stores, Wal-Marts, big box stores, malls, as well as restaurants, etc that you can possibly find. Do you have a car, at least while you job search? Internet access (so many places these days will tell you to "apply online," although you always want to walk in and ask anyway).

What are your long term goals? Do you plan on attending college... or even community college? Have you researched the situation on having resident vs non-resident tuition rates? You want to be careful to not put yourself in a situation where neither CO nor TX would consider you an in-state resident.
Believe it or not I have thought about all of these things. Basically, if it doesn't work out by September, then it's back to Dallas. I do know a place that's hiring campaigners and that pays well. I'd like to get a degree in film production and I will be doing online college. My residency in Tx will be through my parents' address and that won't change. I think I should be alright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: