Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 04:43 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times

Advertisements

Work class outdoor activities for a major metro area. Probably the best in the US, unless you're fond of watersports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 08:56 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
World class MJ dispensaries.
Ha ha!

Old 08-01-2010, 12:33 AM

148 posts, read 290,602 times
Well, it may not be world class, but the Starz Film Center offers the finest, most varied international selection of cinema that I have encountered in the cities I've lived in (Boston and Dallas primarily, and other areas). The Denver Film Society membership offered there simply cannot be bettered - $7 tickets, free popcorn included, as well as numerous film festivals. Since we've moved here in March, there have been Japanese and French film festivals, along with free member receptions which include complimentary wine, beer, and gourmet cheese. The atmosphere there is at once laid back and sophisticated; not pretentious, but cultured.

As a new resident to the area, I cannot speak for the museums. I would agree the shopping does not appear to be particularly impressive. All in all, we are satisfied and look forward to exploring Denver more.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:08 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
If your definition of "world class" is that something is one of the top 10, top 50, or top 100 in the world, such a designation would put "world class" items in the top 0.1% of things worldwide. If you want to talk about things in in Denver that are in the top 100, you would have to include:

1.The Western History Collection at the Denver Public Library

2. American Indian and Pre-Columbian Art collection at the Denver Art Museum.

3. DIA.

4. Red Rocks Amphitheater

5. Many mountain ski resorts
It's a great point...I would consider DIA impressive, but I rarely think of airports as "World Class." LAX, O'Hare, Kennedy and Heathrow might be considered "World Class Airports", though many who use them consider them to be a nightmare (which would, in that case, probably qualify DIA as world class in their stead.)

I did forget about Red Rocks which I think makes a legitimate case for "World Class." There are amphitheaters worldwide that have been designed with Red Rocks in mind as a standard. I suppose that because it's so far outside of the central city I tend not to think of it as part of Denver.

Coors Field is certainly a top tier ballpark, though calling it "World Class" would be disingenuine (in the same way we cap World Series victors to be "World Champions", despite baseball played in nations that have no opportunity to participate.)

I tend to think of Ski Resorts as amusement parks for the rich, though...not exactly something I think of in terms of "World Class." Switzerland may have it's fair share but humbug on them all. It's just an overpriced playground to me.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
^^The skiing is considered "world class" (the Olympics were supposed to be held here in 1976), and it's not just for the richest of the rich. Lots of middle class people that I know go skiing.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:58 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,087,030 times
I heard a quote last night from a home owner of a 1.8 million dollar home in Highlands Ranch. He said, "The more home you own, the more it owns you!" Though Denver may not have scores of 'World Class' items, not many cities do, it doesn't have 'World Class' problems either. Being a basic city is comfortable and easy, yet you can travel to other cities to enjoy what they may have that is world class without having to try to live there to fit the cost and crime.

To the items already mentioned, I would have to add a few:
- 2nd Most Victorian era wearhouses and home outside of San Francisco (both cites thrived from the Gold Rush)
- The Daniel Libeskind Denver Art Museum Extension
- DIA
- The health of our citizen, locally and state wide. Consistently in the top 10 for how fit we are.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:08 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
I heard a quote last night from a home owner of a 1.8 million dollar home in Highlands Ranch. He said, "The more home you own, the more it owns you!" Though Denver may not have scores of 'World Class' items, not many cities do, it doesn't have 'World Class' problems either. Being a basic city is comfortable and easy, yet you can travel to other cities to enjoy what they may have that is world class without having to try to live there to fit the cost and crime.

To the items already mentioned, I would have to add a few:
- 2nd Most Victorian era wearhouses and home outside of San Francisco (both cites thrived from the Gold Rush)
- The Daniel Libeskind Denver Art Museum Extension
- DIA
- The health of our citizen, locally and state wide. Consistently in the top 10 for how fit we are.
Reminds of another old saying: "Borrow a thousand dollars, the bank owns you; borrow a million dollars, you own the bank."

Easily overlooked by many people is your statement: "Though Denver may not have scores of 'World Class' items, not many cities do, it doesn't have 'World Class' problems either." That says a LOT and it's possibly one of the strongest reasons why Denver just might be a world class city. Whether by luck or planning or fate, Denver has missed out on the horrors of many of our larger, old industrial cities, both east and west.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:00 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,087,030 times
Thank you for your comments Mike! I do significant traveling around the country and only to major metropolitan areas, at least once a month, and am constantly glad to return home where there are so many less issues to have to contend with.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:31 PM

299 posts, read 711,885 times
Yea, people just cant stop talking about our 'world class' airport here in Denver.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:32 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,936,282 times
Being 'world class' is overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver