Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 05:17 PM

6,796 posts, read 9,347,476 times

Advertisements

Definitely check out Denver, too. I'm not knocking Highlands Ranch, but I feel like Denver has more to offer in terms of interesting restaurants, grocers, etc., so it might be worth a look. I also agree with the person who mentioned CSAs as a way to get local produce. I have a friend in Boulder who participates in one of those and she seems to have nothing but positive things to say about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 08:11 AM

120 posts, read 383,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Natural Grocers (Vitamin Cottage) is where I shop for quality organic produce. The selection isn't huge but they have the best quality imo and the prices are very reasonable (way cheaper then Whole Foods!). Generally whatever is on sale is also what is in season and the sale prices are always really good. Their meat selection is limited but what they do have is quality. Vitamin Cottage : Discover our healthy nature!

You also might want to check out Door to Door Organics: Door to Door Organics - Serving Colorado with Organic Grocery Delivery of Produce & Organic Food
CSA's: Colorado Local Sustainability.
Denver Urban Homesteading: HOME
In Season Local Market: In Season Local Market, Denver, Colorado
Berry Patch Farms: New Page 1
High Plains Food co-op: High Plains Co-operative
Thanks so much for the suggestions. Always eager to learn about the local resources.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
Love your post, thank you! I am rarely out in Highlands Ranch but what you describe is totally accurate. Great place to be a home owner and to raise children. Strong sense of community there and you will see that continue beyond your week stay.

We have serveal farmers markets here in the summer that have great produce, but yes, all seasonal and enjoy what you like from the markets now, for the prices on produce go up during the winter month.

Try Marcyzk's (sp?) Market at 17th Avenue and Clarkson, best in the city for meats and fish. Tony's is a chain.

Live by and shop Argonaut on Colfax all the time and yes, is awesome!

No place better to be during the summer months then Denver. It is to die for!! Growing up here as a kid, no body had air conditioning, just heat in the winter. Can cool by as much as 30 degrees from the day time temps so usually perfect sleeping conditions. And yes, most here have no idea what humidity is unless they have lived in it before. Winter here can seem overly dry, very brown without the leaves, but it is typical to have several 70 degree days in any of the winter months. And really few snow storms that shut down the city, latest history of those storms, 2003 and 2006, we are overdue.

Huge bike and park system, Denver is either #1 or up there with the amoutn of city parks we have per capita.

You are also so right about the people compared to the eastcoast. I was in Miami a few months back and being my usually self telling everyone I passed in the gym, "Good Morning!" I was actually stopped by one guy and asked if we knew each other. I said no, why? He said because you wished me a good morning. The silence was enough to hear last nights crickets. I was sad for him and he thought I was a nut job.

Thank you for posting as many people have questions before coming here, move, and then never tell us what they like, or don't. Wishing you continued happiness in your decision to move here!
I think follow-ups are nice. And believe me, I will get to know Denver even though we're living in HR. I think it's important to learn about the city and everything it has to offer, and that takes time, but maybe it will take a little less time if one is proactive about it.

This forum has been helpful. I have a list of restaurants to try next time we're in Denver.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Definitely check out Denver, too. I'm not knocking Highlands Ranch, but I feel like Denver has more to offer in terms of interesting restaurants, grocers, etc., so it might be worth a look. I also agree with the person who mentioned CSAs as a way to get local produce. I have a friend in Boulder who participates in one of those and she seems to have nothing but positive things to say about it.
You don't have to convince me in regards to interesting being in Denver. I like living out here in HR, but it's very chain oriented. Obviously there are some establishments that are not chains, but I'm guessing we'll find more places like this in Denver, and we're looking forward to discovering them. And it seems like CSA is a good option so I better learn about it.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:45 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,468 times
Olivers Meats
1718 East 6th Avenue
Denver, CO 80218-3616
(303) 733-4629

Old 08-04-2010, 09:37 AM

299 posts, read 712,028 times
I can certainly agree that Highlands Ranch is incredibly 'white', that the Denver weather is pretty nice, and that people here are friendly. Also that it's hard to find great produce.

For good restaurants, it's true that you aren't going to be blown away like in LA/NY but if you come up to the city you can find good places without too much trouble.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:37 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
Looking forward to more of your Boston to Denver reports.

I've met a few people over the years from Denver who either were not impressed when visiting Boston, or really missed Denver after being in Boston for a few months during a work project. Most love Boston, but I now realize it's not everybody's cup of tea (btw...they've dismantled the Boston Tea Party site after that fire years ago).

When I asked someone from CO how they manage w/o an ocean, she wondered how we in New England live w/o Colorado-style mountains.

A few people I've talked to over the years don't like downtown Denver or the people.

But overall, I get good feedback from others when I question them on Denver. I've never visited but wish to relocate though I'd miss Boston..

Yes, it's been a bit humid in Denver a few times over the recent weeks. That Loew's customer was not totally misinformed. You've had dew point temps between 60 and 65 which indicated mild humidity by others' standards. But then I check a day later and you're back in the comfy 50s dewpoint range. It's 75 degrees and nearly 100% humidity with dewpoint in the low 70s again at 7 am in Boston. That Loew's lady would go bonkers!

Bos2Denver: Are your breathing or nostrils adjusting to the altitude, or is that overblown? Is the intensity of the sun too intense?

Old 08-05-2010, 10:13 AM

111 posts, read 313,904 times
Great story, and being someone from the Boston area, I know exactly how you feel. I lived in Denver for a year in 2006 just trying to get a feel for the area and if it was a place that I'd like to live long term. In a way I missed living in Boston and going back home was good for me. It made me realize what I like and what I don't like in a particular city. Now fast forward 4 years and I can't wait to get out of here. There are just a lot of things I'm tired of "dealing" with. Yes Boston has some of the richest history of arguably any American city, which is why we have tourism. But being a resident is extremely frustrating in many ways tourists don't get to experience. I found that through the past few years, it was Denver that I really missed. Only being there for a year gave me a glimpse of what I can expect, there's still lots more for me to discover and learn about the area. But I can say one thing, the first time skiing on an east coast mountain after spoiling myself in powder was quite an eye opening experience, and made me wonder how the hell I skied on ice for the past 15 years!!

Anyway, I hope in December I can report back of my trip from Boston to Denver with such enthusiasm as you have showed. Thanks for the update.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Looking forward to more of your Boston to Denver reports.

I've met a few people over the years from Denver who either were not impressed when visiting Boston, or really missed Denver after being in Boston for a few months during a work project. Most love Boston, but I now realize it's not everybody's cup of tea (btw...they've dismantled the Boston Tea Party site after that fire years ago).

When I asked someone from CO how they manage w/o an ocean, she wondered how we in New England live w/o Colorado-style mountains.

A few people I've talked to over the years don't like downtown Denver or the people.

But overall, I get good feedback from others when I question them on Denver. I've never visited but wish to relocate though I'd miss Boston..

Yes, it's been a bit humid in Denver a few times over the recent weeks. That Loew's customer was not totally misinformed. You've had dew point temps between 60 and 65 which indicated mild humidity by others' standards. But then I check a day later and you're back in the comfy 50s dewpoint range. It's 75 degrees and nearly 100% humidity with dewpoint in the low 70s again at 7 am in Boston. That Loew's lady would go bonkers!

Bos2Denver: Are your breathing or nostrils adjusting to the altitude, or is that overblown? Is the intensity of the sun too intense?
I loooove Boston. Spent over 10 years there. I have nothing bad to say about it. Yeah some areas are on the expensive side, so what. It's no secret. Anyone who spends five minutes online will know that going in. I miss knowing the people at places where we'd shop and the personable service that came with having shopped there for a while, but the same thing can happen here. Just takes time. I miss Wilson Farms, but hopefully we can find something here with good produce. I cook everyday, love every aspect of it, so I hope to fix the produce but. I've been pointed to a few places I'll check out this weekend. This forum is great.

Of course I miss Boston but I'm here now and I'm the kind of person that likes to embrace whatever a city and surrounding areas have to offer. I can tell you that this weather makes it easy to embrace the area. I've spent some time outdoors just doing my thing everyday since we arrived. I love it. I've missed the sun. I have a garage now, and although I didn't have one back in Boston I knew I'd put it to good use if I ever had one. I've stained a picnic table since I've been here and am working on refinishing a butcher block table a little each day. And I have a small backyard, which is my own and the right size for us.

Altitude: When we arrived I did most of the unloading of the truck. I became tired faster than normal. Didn't think anything of it. But yeah it's affected me, but I do not have difficulty breathing. The first three days my stomach was upset, but now it's fine. And I've had to eat more regularly than ever. Yesterday was the first day I ate like I normally do, but before that, I was eating every two hours.

My girlfriend is a runner and she feels it when she runs. She's been smart and running slower and shorter distances than normal, but she should be all set for the half-marathon coming up in October (it's not her first...just first out here). But she has said that it's more of a challenge running right now.

But as far they everyday goes, breathing is not a problem. I'll keep you posted on adjusting. Happy to be hear. Loooooove the weather.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:46 PM

299 posts, read 712,028 times
I lived in Cambridge for 2 years while my wife was doing her doctorate there. Boston is OK, and there are good things about it. But, I'll take Denver any day.

People just seem happier here, they smile more, laugh more, and are more relaxed. That is important to me. Boston is a bit like NY in that it's a hard place to live and that's reflected in the mood of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver