Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,665 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody-

I'm moving from Atlanta to Denver and need some help on where to live. I'm single, straight and in my mid-30's and will work as a tax professional for one of the Big Four (E&Y, KPMG, Deloitte or PWC).

I'll be working at one of these addresses:

1670 Broadway, # 1000 Denver, CO 80202-4870
707 17th Street Denver, CO 80202-3429
555 17th Street, Denver, CO
370 17th Street Denver, CO 80202-5663

A commute under 30 minutes is not a problem, but the less of a commute is better.

I'm a triathlete, want to be close to a gym (World Gym, Golds, Bally's, LA Fitness, etc) and run outside rather than on a treadmill. If anyone is familiar with Atlanta, I live in the Virginia Highlands area. I'm looking for the same environment or one similar to midtown Atlanta. It's a young/mid-professional demographic which is safe to run/walk outside when the sun's not up. Oh yeah, and a local bar where I can get a drink. I'm not into nightclubs...I'd rather shoot myself in the face.

No counter-culter/gentrified/up & coming or under 25 college grad areas.

I've been to Denver area one time before - Sep 2005 to see DMB at Red Rocks, but didn't do any exploring of the city.

1. When's the best time of year to visit? Was considering May 2011 when U2 is performing.

2. Should I get a 4 wheel drive truck before I move?

3. Houston is a possibility...anyone have any opinions on Houston vs. Denver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 08:49 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,373,891 times
No help on the where part, though you'll get lots of other suggestions no doubt.

But best time to visit, just depends on you. If you're a summer person, then come in the summer. If you're a winter person (lol, kinda hard to be while in Atlanta ~ I lived there 2000~2004), come in the winter. May is a good "between" time, though you'll most likely think it's cold/cool.

You absolutely do NOT need 4x4 or a truck. And if you're driving into downtown/parking down there, you're going to hate having a truck as a choice. My wife and I use a VW Jetta with all season tires. We've gotten stuck 2 times in the last 5 years, both times were thanks to driving through untracked/plowed snow that packed up under the skidplate and got the wheels off the ground. Both times were 100% preventable and due to my lack of thinking ahead. Good tires are the key to using a car outside of town (in town, it doesn't matter), and we don't hesitate to run up to the ski hills in the car vs.our truck. If you're still anxious, AWD cars tend to be a Much better choice to live with. Just keep in mind that AWD and 4x4 only help you GO, they do not help you STOP. Lots of people think those vehicles are unstoppable, which is why they are most often the ones you see in accidents ~ driving Ability/training is far more important here.

And Houston Vs Denver ~ just a personal opinion (have family in Houston that I've been visiting yearly for about 20 years). I'd never live there. But I was born and raised in Wyoming, having lived all across the country I've found that there is no place that feels like home so much as somewhere along the Rockies.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:33 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,763,896 times
Houston is sea level and extremely humid. You can live in Denver (better for your lifestyle) or outlying suburbs. I have a friend who works at Deloitte and he lives out by Golden, and another accountant friend who takes the light rail into work from Aurora. Ideally you want to make a couple visits at different time of year if you can, see if you can tolerate the cold dry air in the winter.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:23 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,261,523 times
#1-- If you're visiting Denver with the intentions of exploring the city for potential relocation, you should visit ANY time of the year. In fact, preferably at least twice, once during May-Sept (the "green" part of the year), and once during Winter (any time from Oct-Apr pretty much), so you see what it's like.

#2-- Not necessary, unless you plan on doing offroading, tons of mountain snow driving off I-70, or just want one because it makes you feel good.

#3-- Houston is not a city I would even compare with Denver, they are so opposite. That hellhole would be one of the dead last places on my list I would ever think of moving. Anyone who really enjoys Denver would probably hate living in Houston, and vice versa.

BTW, you already have a job offer with one of the "Big 4" and want to keep it anonymous, or you're hoping you'll get hired by one of them? In any case, you could have just said you'll be working "downtown" instead of volunteering that piece of personal information.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:03 AM

229 posts, read 749,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoors&Tax View Post
If anyone is familiar with Atlanta, I live in the Virginia Highlands area. I'm looking for the same environment or one similar to midtown Atlanta. It's a young/mid-professional demographic which is safe to run/walk outside when the sun's not up. Oh yeah, and a local bar where I can get a drink. I'm not into nightclubs...I'd rather shoot myself in the face.

No counter-culter/gentrified/up & coming or under 25 college grad areas.
Washington Park is probably the equivalent to Virginia Highlands. Its pleasant, safe, and filled with yuppies. People will probably soon chime in and tell you the Highlands area of Denver will be similar to Virginia Highlands. It's not. It's grittier. It is not counter-culture or a college grad area, but is gentrifying and up & coming. Its a bit closer to Little 5 Points than Virginia Highlands.

I wouldn't really say there is an area in Denver like midtown Atlanta - Piedmont Park, those high rise condos, the office towers, hip dining/bars/entertainment and clean/expensive residential neighborhoods don't really exist directly together like that (except maybe in Cherry Creek - but a stretch). That being said, the whole of downtown Denver seems to be better and have more interest than downtown or midtown Atlanta. It probably doesn't fit the areas you describe though,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver