Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,117 times

Advertisements

A couple of weeks ago I was transferred to Denver by my employer. I am currently in the market for a home and am working with a realtor to find a place to purchase. Unfortunately, I have not yet seen anything I like that fits my personality and budget. I am hoping someone can help point me in the right direction.

I am a marketing professional in my early 30s, unmarried and have no children (except for a small dog). I am really into urban living and would LOVE to live in or near downtown Denver, with easy access to great downtown shops and dining, as well as the Light Rail. I'd prefer a very active area of the city so I can experience all that Denver has to offer.

My budget for a home to purchase is around $240k, and I'm looking for a 2 bedroom (or larger) place with at least a small yard for my pet.

Using a list my realtor provided me, I've been looking at homes in the northern part of town (near Quebec and MLK - around the I-70, I think) and have been finding that the area doesn't fit my personality. Not to mention that some of the homes are not very well maintained. My realtor also told me to look in Highlands Ranch, but that area seems very suburban to me - not really my style.

Recently, a friend told me about newer "bungalows" they heard of in the downtown area that might fit my personality and budget. They said these bungalows were in very nice and active areas of the city, but I have yet to find any info on these. However, I'm very interested in finding out more info on these properties.

So, I have a couple questions for all you Denver locals... 1) Have you heard about these "bungalow"-style homes? 2) Do you know of any downtown Denver homes that you think would fit my personality and budget?

I am getting discouraged with my house hunting venture, so any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 08:44 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
A list? I give my clients access to a website so they may search for properties themselves. Ask your Realtor if you want the same. (My job is not to find the property, but to secure a contract and get it to closing.)

There are not many homes downtown at all. A few is 5 Points...if you read the posts of others like youn here on C-D they are touting Highlands, Sunnyside, Congress Park, West Wash Park...

Search REColorado.com by zip code or areas called DSE, DSW, DNW to start.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:16 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,510,442 times
You're probably not going to find a house like that in that price range....at least not in/near downtown. You might check out the Baker neighborhood just south of downtown near Broadway. If you'd consider more of a rowhouse type place you could probably find something either there or maybe in Capital Hill. The areas you describe and Five Points are still kind of sketchy and probably not the best in terms of appreciation. If, on the other hand, you'd consider a condo/loft you can find some great deals almost anywhere right now for that price. Some of them, especially in the Ballpark area on the north edge of dowtown, are more lowrise converted warehouse type places, many of which have nice outdoor areas/patios. And EVERYONE has dogs.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:25 PM

84 posts, read 337,683 times
Haha. I laughed when you said you considered the area around Quebec and MLK. That's probably one of the worst gang neighborhoods in Denver. There's a reason many of the houses sell for under 100 K.

But anyway, that's awesome that you're into urban living! I'd recommend Capitol Hill, Five Points (but closer to downtown to avoid the crime), City Park South (definitely not North), or the Highlands. A lot of people will tell you to avoid these neighborhoods, and yeah they have crime, but not anything to really be worried about and it's just like urban living in any other city.

Good luck!

Old 08-09-2010, 12:42 AM

112 posts, read 168,269 times
i second the baker recommendation. you can get a row house or something as part of a duplex for a good price. the light rail is close, and downtown is a very short bike or car trip away if you don't want to take public transportation. it doesn't feel suburban at all, which is a plus.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:44 AM

6,812 posts, read 9,357,536 times
I'm laughing about the MLK/Quebec thing only because the first realtor I worked with was a bit pushy and decided that North Park Hill is/was 'hot' because of Stapleton and kept showing me properties there because 'it's a great area to buy in.' Somehow, it doesn't seem like a great area to LIVE in, but that's just my opinion. It didn't matter that I repeatedly told him that I wanted be in SE Denver, either. I stopped working with him. Maybe you should look into a different realtor, too.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:33 PM

7 posts, read 12,180 times
Like the bartender, I'm a relo and I too am looking into a more urban, city vibe. However, I'm married with 2 small children. But I love the idea of walking out my front door and having a city to stroll around and explore. Also being close to the light rail, shopping, hip spots, etc. I don't NEED a house, it could be a TH or something, but do need 4 bedrooms. Our budge would be in the $400's. Could we afford a hip lifestyle in a safe area? Or should I stick with areas like Cherry Creek, Wash Park, DTC?? Thanks for any info!

Old 08-20-2010, 05:14 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
DTC or Downtown Littleton. Highlands or Berkeley...depends on you and what you find important.

You won't find many 4 bedroom townhomes, but there are plenty of 4 bedroom homes.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:30 PM

41 posts, read 159,617 times
to bartender - (are you still around?): Sunnyside has some houses starting in the mid 200's. Also Edgewater is getting popular. Baker is getting pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver