Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 03:22 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times

Advertisements

Why is it that residents in Denver love to smacktalk the 16th St. Mall? As a tourist, I didn't think it was that bad. It's not overly Disneyfied and seemed pretty reminiscent of many American downtown streets. The only thing I found annoying was the busses. I think a trolley/streetcar would do better (maybe extend it past the state house and down East Colfax).

To me, it seemed 16th street the busiest street for pedestrian activity downtown. How do you think it could be improved, what would be a better draw for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 03:24 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
My wife and I went there a couple of years ago when we were in town. It seemed like it could have been any mall in America with the typical collection of national stores/restaurants.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:33 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
My wife and I went there a couple of years ago when we were in town. It seemed like it could have been any mall in America with the typical collection of national stores/restaurants.
True, although that seems to have happend in many downtowns. Even in Boston, Newbury St is loaded up with chainstores (albeit more upscale). SoHo in New York use to have a lot more creativity, but now on a recent visit a lot of chain stores have been firmly planted there too. Wonder how more small businesses could come into downtown, although you can't really kick the chain stores and restaurants out. Hmmm.....

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-14-2010 at 03:41 PM..

Old 08-14-2010, 05:33 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
I'm one of the residents that would love to see improvements on the mall, but I generally avoid it on evenings and weekends because there are so many other options in Denver's other neighborhoods that quite frankly, are better for dining, entertainment, and shopping. I'm happy that tourists seem to like it, but honestly, many of the Denver neighborhoods have little neighborhood downtowns that have businesses that are much more unique and interesting, in my opinion.

I also get tired of the clientele that frequent the mall on evenings and weekends. I'm sure I sound insensitive, but being panhandled and harassed when I have food in my hand gets old after awhile. I can go to other places and not have to put up with it.

What I'd like to see (just a few things):
*Improved facades and look/feel -- some parts of the mall look nice while other parts look dumpy.
*Improved 'side streets' that intersect the mall -- maybe something can be done to make the side streets feel more connected with the rest of the mall because there are businesses on most of the intersecting streets.
*More unique/independent businesses or at least chains that aren't as common as McDonald's and Starbucks. I'm not a chain hater, but I can get McDonald's and Starbucks in my own neighborhood.
*Although not cost-effective, something to replace the shuttles, or maybe running the shuttles along 15th and 17th avenues. They seem somewhat dangerous and I see people walk out in front of them every day.

I DO enjoy the bars and restaurants in LoDo and I also like the Riverfront Park and Confluence Park areas. I don't dislike downtown by any means, but I feel like the mall portion of it, overall, is a bit.. lackluster, although I guess I'm glad that people seem to like it.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:41 PM

556 posts, read 1,200,176 times
the mall has crappy low-end chain stores and no places to sit. the only things worthwhile are the food carts and the buses themselves for getting from one end of downtown to the other.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:32 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
I like the 16th St. Mall. The Pavillions is nice, there are a few non chain restaurants here and there, a busy, urban environment. I think a 2 story urban Target would be great and a grocery store of some sort. For all the people who live downtown, it has to be annoying to get in the car every time you need life's necessities. But I don't understand the mall haters. Most other major cities would kill for something like we have in downtown Denver.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:22 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Its a good way to keep people downtown outside of 8 to 5 on weekdays. Lots of western US downtowns have tried to create the same effect and some have failed. Las Vegas has a completely empty downtown mall, although that is a totally different situation. Phoenix has tried and tried to make downtown interesting and draw in a crowd outside the office workers, but outside of sporting events its not really working so well. LA has tried a few times and outside of events at Staples Center its still not working. Even San Francisco could arguably have the same issue if you just look at the financial district and especially the Embarcadero shopping center which is nearly deserted on weekends, although not too far outside the area you can find plenty of activity.

The task is not easy, especially considering how much more parking and traffic friendly other venues around the area are. But it seems to do well in drawing and keeping visitors around downtown and I'm sure that is the primary reason to think of it as a success.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:32 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,549 times
I do think one of the current plans on the books for the Union Station improvements involves moving the shuttles to 15th and 17th and converting the mall into a full pedestrian thoroughfare. I'm a little mixed about this at the moment as 16th is where pretty much all the pedestrian action is (with the possible exception of Larimer Square.)

I do like your idea about improving the intersecting streets, however, which would make moving the shuttles far more viable.

Obviously there are some other great neighborhoods and areas that offer a lot of cool stuff as well...Colfax, South Pearl, Highlands, and many more.

I do think there is a heavy representation of chain and commercial fronts along 16th street, but there is also a lot of great cultural activity that goes along with the panhandlers and chainstores. Buskers come in all types and qualities, activities in Skyline Park usually draw a great crowd (just had Peter Pan tonight for movie night), even some of the activity on the buses (spontaneous break out into song or rhyme) seems to happen at least once a week for me (disclaimer: I do work downtown a lot now so likely get more exposure which increases my chances of discovering these kinds of things.) The local establishments are pretty nice (souvenir stores excepted), there's pianos EVERYWHERE, and anyone can jump in and play...I'm not even bothered by the guys trying to sell "The Voice" down there (at least their trying to do SOMETHING, though I wish the paper was a little more practical to read somehow...more stories, poetry, or even more reporting by the homeless on issues other than homelessness...but from a homeless perspective.)

The whole mall is a great connector between Civic Center and the Central Platte Valley.

It definitely has some qualities that I dislike, but the more time I spend in the area, the less it bothers me. Besides, it's pretty easy to step right off the beaten path and discover a few of the gems a few blocks over in either direction, from some of the pubs in the Ballpark District to the 24 hour Leela Cafe (Your Mileage May Vary), the Cherry Creek Bike Path or even theatre activity at the Performing Arts Complex (DPAC.)

I'd love for the mall to be more like a London High Street, but I really have to agree with the OP (after some time thinking on it and being there) that it really isn't so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I'm one of the residents that would love to see improvements on the mall, but I generally avoid it on evenings and weekends because there are so many other options in Denver's other neighborhoods that quite frankly, are better for dining, entertainment, and shopping. I'm happy that tourists seem to like it, but honestly, many of the Denver neighborhoods have little neighborhood downtowns that have businesses that are much more unique and interesting, in my opinion.

I also get tired of the clientele that frequent the mall on evenings and weekends. I'm sure I sound insensitive, but being panhandled and harassed when I have food in my hand gets old after awhile. I can go to other places and not have to put up with it.

What I'd like to see (just a few things):
*Improved facades and look/feel -- some parts of the mall look nice while other parts look dumpy.
*Improved 'side streets' that intersect the mall -- maybe something can be done to make the side streets feel more connected with the rest of the mall because there are businesses on most of the intersecting streets.
*More unique/independent businesses or at least chains that aren't as common as McDonald's and Starbucks. I'm not a chain hater, but I can get McDonald's and Starbucks in my own neighborhood.
*Although not cost-effective, something to replace the shuttles, or maybe running the shuttles along 15th and 17th avenues. They seem somewhat dangerous and I see people walk out in front of them every day.

I DO enjoy the bars and restaurants in LoDo and I also like the Riverfront Park and Confluence Park areas. I don't dislike downtown by any means, but I feel like the mall portion of it, overall, is a bit.. lackluster, although I guess I'm glad that people seem to like it.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:58 AM

59 posts, read 200,275 times
I personally like the 16th St Mall and I've lived here for 14 years now

Old 08-15-2010, 10:27 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
Other than the occasional stop into Mad Greens, Jamba Juice, Rock Bottom I rarely visit or spend time there. I was present the first day the mall was open for biz; it was quite impressive to me than but I was 15. Not saying I hate the mall, but I can find anything I need or want that isn't offered elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver