Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 01:15 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_leaving View Post
We are thinking about moving to Denver from Tulsa, OK. We have a good job oportunity but before we accept it we wanted to find out more about Littleton / Highlands Ranch area.
We are a family from former Yugoslavia. We moved to US in our early 20s about 15 years ago and we love Americal way of life. The main reason we want to leave Tulsa, is the evangelicals in the area and overall intolerance towards anybody different. Other than the fact that we speak with an accent, we're just a typical white suburban family with 2 kids (into t-ball, soccer, and all other kids activities). Here in OK it is extremely difficult to meet people who are open to associating with anyone who does not belong to their evangelical church. Prior to moving here we lived in Phoenix suburbs and we had no idea that this kind of intolerance existed. Even though we look and act just like everyone else arround us, as soon as we start talking with an accent they act standoffish. They don't even want their kids to associate with our kids because they don't think we have the same kinds of "values" as they do. It is almost impossible to find any activities that are not in some way church related. Even if you find something that is not church sponsored, as soon as you start talking to people, conversation turns to church and nothing else. Now, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against people going to church, but here there is nothing but church. We believe in God, but we are just tired of being judged for not spending every minute of our life in and around church.
Our jobs here are great, and we tried to make it work as much as we could, but we've come to the point where we just want to leave.
How do you think we will fit in into Highlands Ranch/Littleton area? We just want us and our kids to be accepted, and to expose our kids to different things and not only one kind of thinking.
Thanks for your replies.
Just incase you are wondering the OP is not exaggerating. I have lived in Tulsa since 1986 and have seen the Religious Reich take over Tulsa and most of this area. Oh, and I too am a christian, but not like these people.

Back in 2004 I went to work for a large insurance company that had an office in South Tulsa. About my 2nd or 3rd day there one of the ladies in the office started chit chatting with me and within about 3 minutes into our conversation she ask where I went to Church. (This is normal down here) When I told her I did not go to Church, she said "Well, you should come to my church, you would love it! There's no gays or blacks there." I was so shocked I didn't know what to say! If I had to do it over again I would have ask what was wrong with her church since no gays or blacks will go there...LOL Found out later on she could have been fired for what she had said to me. Would Jesus have said that? These people are not good christians.

And every, every, every night the news stations run some kind of church story. And when we have snow, (An inch will shut Tulsa down) its not school closing they announce, its "School and Church" closings.

And if you don't totally agree with them or their politics or their narrow way of thinking then your not a good American or christian.

I know I am venting, but when I read this post I just had to speak for the OP. I hope they have a wonderful life up in Denver, and finally find the American Dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 10:21 PM

10 posts, read 22,057 times
i live in okc. people in oklahoma typically are very judgmental and opinionated. they are friendly as far as speaking to people. i cannot wait to move out of oklahoma. it has been my dream since 1997 to move away. my daughter graduated college and is married now. all i have to do is sell my house and i am out of this state. hopefully, i will not have to tolerate another 100+ summer.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:07 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Back in 2004 I went to work for a large insurance company that had an office in South Tulsa. About my 2nd or 3rd day there one of the ladies in the office started chit chatting with me and within about 3 minutes into our conversation she ask where I went to Church. (This is normal down here) When I told her I did not go to Church, she said "Well, you should come to my church, you would love it! There's no gays or blacks there." I was so shocked I didn't know what to say! If I had to do it over again I would have ask what was wrong with her church since no gays or blacks will go there...LOL Found out later on she could have been fired for what she had said to me. Would Jesus have said that? These people are not good christians.
That is crazy. You should have slapped her for the comment about blacks and shake her hand about gay’s

Out here in Austin there’s plenty of fake church go'ers!
Actually I know a co-worker that is married and has a child. This guy always comments about what lady looks hot and what not ect..ect….
He commented to me that he went to their catholic church to do a men's retreat. I asked what he learned? He said I just had to reconcile myself and differences and he came out a better feeling man.
Then this past Friday, I was asking him what he planned to do for NCAA football games (for Saturday) because I was planning a BBQ @ the house and wanted to invite some friends over. He said he could not because he had to pre-pare to go the bachelor party that evening (hummmm).

UMMMMM ok!! I guess his Church made him feel better, huh? I told him he was such a hipricate and you are fake and needed stop going for the wrong reasons!!
Key thing about church is to go for yourself and ask god to enter your heart. But now-a-days church is nothing more then a social network. It really is hard to find an honest church with honest people to go for the true reasons / purpose!
So when we do go to church (not much anymore), we go there to open our hearts with god and only him! Once church is over, no-chit chat or those odd uncomfortable 3-key questions from others that’s : Where we from? Where I work at? and are they hiring?

Old 01-11-2011, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,688 times
I have enjoyed reading the posts and responses to the Yugoslavian couple seeking advice. My family is African American. We are from Tulsa OK and Wichita KS natively, however we have lived in Northern California since the late 80's. I have an Auntie and cousins in Colorado. One of my cousins and her family live in Highlands Ranch and they unfortunately have not felt the love and diversity that is spoken of in this blog. I was also in Broomfield on business all last week, and was not treated by the locals there with the greatest respect. Instead I received a number of interesting looks that I was not prepared for. So- although I do believe that not everyone is intolerant of diversity- it may be easier for a family whose skin is the same color but dialect or accent is different. I for one will keep my family in California. Best of luck to you. I am sorry to hear about how the Christian folk behave in Tulsa. It is a disgrace to those of us who really love the Lord and embrace what Christ died for and stands for.
Take care!!

Old 01-11-2011, 02:15 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Cook View Post
I have enjoyed reading the posts and responses to the Yugoslavian couple seeking advice. My family is African American. We are from Tulsa OK and Wichita KS natively, however we have lived in Northern California since the late 80's. I have an Auntie and cousins in Colorado. One of my cousins and her family live in Highlands Ranch and they unfortunately have not felt the love and diversity that is spoken of in this blog. I was also in Broomfield on business all last week, and was not treated by the locals there with the greatest respect. Instead I received a number of interesting looks that I was not prepared for. So- although I do believe that not everyone is intolerant of diversity- it may be easier for a family whose skin is the same color but dialect or accent is different. I for one will keep my family in California. Best of luck to you. I am sorry to hear about how the Christian folk behave in Tulsa. It is a disgrace to those of us who really love the Lord and embrace what Christ died for and stands for.
Take care!!
Sorry to hear that about the people here in Highlands Ranch. I live in a very diverse area of HR and I don't see anything like that around. I guess it could happen anywhere in the nation. Anyway, I would welcome you and the people from Yugoslavia with open arms.

I have never lived in OK but I have a ton of family there. Everything in their world revolves around the church. I vowed to never visit there again. My mother who actually grew up there said she is never going back unless there is a death in the family. Strong words from my mom.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:49 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,584 times
Yes, some people in Oklahoma are very into their church and not very tolerant, but saying all of Tulsa (or Oklahoma) is like that is like saying all of Salt Lake City (and Utah) are intolerant Mormon's, or all of Colorado Springs is full of evangelicals because of Focus on the Family.

I currently live in Tulsa but lived in Denver for awhile a few years back, and have also lived in Dallas and Oklahoma City. Denver was great and I would love to return if I could land a decent construction management job. But living in Tulsa is great too, it's a really nice city and I don't find people that religious or even that conservative, at least in the neighborhood I live in and in my profession. Dallas and Oklahoma City actually seemed more conservative and less welcoming. Just really strange hearing about such opposite experiences in Tulsa...

Old 01-11-2011, 02:58 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthXSW View Post
Yes, some people in Oklahoma are very into their church and not very tolerant, but saying all of Tulsa (or Oklahoma) is like that is like saying all of Salt Lake City (and Utah) are intolerant Mormon's, or all of Colorado Springs is full of evangelicals because of Focus on the Family.

I currently live in Tulsa but lived in Denver for awhile a few years back, and have also lived in Dallas and Oklahoma City. Denver was great and I would love to return if I could land a decent construction management job. But living in Tulsa is great too, it's a really nice city and I don't find people that religious or even that conservative, at least in the neighborhood I live in and in my profession. Dallas and Oklahoma City actually seemed more conservative and less welcoming. Just really strange hearing about such opposite experiences in Tulsa...
I have a question about beer sales in OK. Is it a law that liquor stores can't sell chilled beer? The last time I was out there I couldn't buy any chilled beer. It struck me as odd. I was in the Shawnee area.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:21 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I have a question about beer sales in OK. Is it a law that liquor stores can't sell chilled beer? The last time I was out there I couldn't buy any chilled beer. It struck me as odd. I was in the Shawnee area.
No chilled beer in liquor stores. You can get chilled beer in convenience/grocery stores though.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:37 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,971,084 times
I'm glad to see you showed up in the thread, Okie!

For my bit of info...

As a former Oklahoman who now lives in the Denver area, I think I can give some insight. I moved from Oklahoma City though, not Tulsa.

First off, I'm sorry you had to go through all that in Tulsa. I remember partly living there when my dad worked there and I found the city very appealing, actually. I could swear that Tulsa's more sophisticated than OKC (less truck stop-ish). Then again, I was younger and didn't notice very many people's attitudes at that point in my life.

I moved to Castle Rock, which is in Douglas County just like Highlands Ranch is. Overall, Douglas County tends to lean conservative, just like Tulsa, but is far more accepting of people who are different. We like diversity here in Douglas County, and Colorado in general!

You will want to live close to your job, of course. Anywhere around Denver (or in Denver itself) you will be perfectly fine. It's great here compared to Oklahoma, so look hard and don't give up!

It'll become home very fast. I love Oklahoma to pieces - I spent 9 years of my life there and am currently in college at OU (but I'll be transferring to CU if that says anything...) but it just doesn't compare. Oklahomans are friendly but often hold judgemental opinions of people, while Coloradans are far more open-minded in general and very laid-back.

OH! One thing I need to add. Your kids will be very accepted in Denver. Now, I could say the same about Oklahoma as well though. At OU, nobody cares if I tell them I'm gay, but it's a college campus. I can't really speak for high schools since I went to high school here in Colorado. From what I've seen though, is that pretty much anywhere in the country, the younger people are generally very accepting no matter where you are. However, I'd say that the chances of running into unaccepting kids are higher in OK than CO for sure. Since I'm fresh out of high school since last year, I can offer some of my experience here: The people in my high school were accepting of all. Of course, there will be one or two bigots wherever you go, but in general it was perfectly fine. The humor of my generation is rather crude and can come off as racist, homophobic, etc. but that's just the way we joke nowadays, and I don't take offense to jokes - hell, I tell them about myself all the time. Real prejudice is hard to come by, from my personal experience. It's also a lot easier for kids here to "fit in" since there isn't a real status quo. In Oklahoma, it's status quo even for kids to be Christian and go to church every Sunday. I only know a couple people my age here in CO that are like that - there's more diversity within a given group of people here, if that makes any sense.

I believe I'm starting to ramble now, so I'll stop. I hope my info was useful!

-Tony

Last edited by Melanzana92; 01-11-2011 at 09:50 PM..

Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,638 times
Try being an atheist in Tulsa! Hopefully, we'll be following you out there in a few years! Go for it, and good luck!
-Amy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver