Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 12,601 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm hoping to attend CU Denver for my masters in architecture. I'm looking for advice on what areas to consider renting. I'd be able to bring a car but I'd like to live somewhere I don't need it. Suggestions on areas or even considerations I've neglected would be much appreciated. There are tradeoffs between living closer or farther from downtown so I'm open to either. What neighborhoods are a good value?
About me:
-23 y/o, male, relocating from CT/Boston
-I'd like to not pay more than $750/mo for rent but if I can ditch the car I'd go up to $900.
-I'd love to be able to bike to class / use public transportation to go out
-I have a cat, and a fenced in yard would be a huge plus
-I'd be willing to live with roommates of a similar age
-I'd be making trips to visit family in Boulder on weekends
-Prefer organic food/farmers market nearby would be awesome
-Looking for a good martial arts class

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 06:32 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
You have many options of places to live. Auraria is accessible by good public transit from many places in the metro area. Auraria has two rail stations and is situated on Colfax, so you have your choice. You can put your bike on all buses and all trains, if the distance is too far for an easy ride to campus. The farther you get from downtown, in some cases, the rent will be cheaper.

Since Auraria is on the rail lines, so I would look at that information on the RTD website http://www.rtd-denver.com/. Many rail lines will go to the Auraria Campus http://www.rtd-denver.com/LightRail_Map.shtml

I would suggest the Baker neighborhood in Denver which runs along Broadway, just south of Downtown. There you can find reasonable rents and be close enough to many amenities in a nice neighborhood. It is one of Denver oldest neighborhoods and has gone through much redevelopment. It has many eclectic shops and restaurants and buildings that may appeal to your architectural eye. Most importantly, it is very close to the campus and has accessible rail stations at Broadway Station and Alameda Station. In addition, the Broadway Bus, Route 0, is a main bus route and runs often and frequent, almost 24 hr. a day.

Neighborhood of Denver

http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/downloads/maps/citywide/Neighborhoods.pdf (broken link)

Baker neighborhood photo tour

//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...hoto-tour.html

There other neighborhood that are also very nice from Platte Park to the South, to Highland, West Highland and Berkeley to the West. You may even find a good value in Capital Hill, near Downtown.

Going to Boulder is very easy and quick. You can take Route B, or Route BL, limited, from Market Street Station, and you be taken right to downtown Boulder. Again, you can put your bike on the bus.

Livecontent

Old 08-22-2010, 12:37 AM

Livecontent,

Interesting, I hadn't looked at Baker until you mentioned it but it looks like a solid option for me. I'll be visiting Denver soon and checking out the neighborhoods you mentioned.
Thank you so much for the informative links and thoughtful advice!

Kapnobatai

Old 08-22-2010, 02:44 AM

HiLo looks like a good area too. Any thoughts on Alamo Placita? The location seems great.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:47 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapnobatai View Post
HiLo looks like a good area too. Any thoughts on Alamo Placita? The location seems great.
Both of those locations are great but with different characteristics.

HiLo is really a new coined term referring to the North/Northwest area of Lower Downtown. I know it has many newer lofts and apartments. It would be nearer the exciting attractions of Downtown but has nice new parks and bike trails, nearby. Easy to get to the campus.

Alamo Placita Park area is really more sedate and traditional residential. However, you would be much closer to the great amenities and shopping of Cherry Creek. I always see bicyclist using the bike path/sidewalk on 1st. Ave., north of the Country Club. It is a little farther from the campus but the biking would be pleasant on the path along Cherry Creek, which follows Spear. In addition, you could easily bike south to Washington Park or north to Cheesman Park area and enjoy those environments.

Livecontent

Old 08-23-2010, 07:57 PM

39 posts, read 92,142 times
Live Content pretty much nails it. Lots of young professionals live in the Lower Highland area (can't get myself to use the term LoHi). This may be considered the same area, but you might check out the newer apartments along Platte Street around Commons Park - it's just below Lower Highland and a quick bike ride down the Cherry Creek trail to campus.

One other interesting area on the other side of downtown from you would be Uptown/ Whittier. Whittier is an older, residential area with some great half duplexes and apartments. It's a short walk to City Park and to the light rail line (same line that rolls through Auraria) in Five Points. Uptown is a mix of older apartments/ homes and some newer infill. Again, it's a young vibrant area. There's a Whole Foods relatively near by (Cap Hill), Marzyck Foods on 17th, and the Farmer's Market next to City Park.

Welcome to Denver. Good luck on your search. By the way, $750 will get you something relatively comfortable in most of these areas....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: