Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,656 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My husband and 20-month old son currently live in the Highlands in NW Denver, which we love. My husband and I have been in the same home for nearly 10 years. Recently, we have been thinking about baby #2 and have been looking at neighborhoods west of where we are, primarily in the Applewood area (both Golden and Lakewood areas, east and west of Youngfield). We love the character of the neighborhoods, mature trees, big lots, and country-like feel with close proximity to downtown Denver, the highways, and the foothills. Newer suburbs aren't as desirable for us.

My question is: Is Applewood family-friendly? It seems like there is a large older (empty nester / retired) population that lives there, but we haven't seen many young children. We suspect it may be out of many young families' price range, but we don't want to move somewhere where our kids are isolated from other children. We have specifically been looking at a home near Stober Elementary. Seems like a lovely but very quiet neighborhood- maybe too quiet?? We love all of the young families and community feel in the Highlands, but our house is too small to add another little one, and the larger homes in the Highlands are priced too high.

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 10:06 PM

2 posts, read 4,156 times
I was looking at a home in Applewood this past weekend. I think the neighborhood may be a little older, but it may also be about ready to flip. I noticed some older couples but I also noticed 30-40 somethings. I think the location will keep the neighborhood a strong real estate market. I was also in Einsteins at Denver West this morning and liked the demographics. It was crowded and I noticed various ethnic backgrounds. People were well dressed and seemed likely well educated. That is an assumption, but it was a nice crowd. I prefer the west side if you can commute easily, but I would never live in Aurora so I may be biased. If you ski, the eastern suburbs are just too far to drive.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:17 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,375,274 times
I think this area is a wonderful area and I would include also Wheat Ridge as part of Applewood. Every neighborhood changes as the older people do move on and they sell to younger families. So, I agree with the previous poster that the area is becoming younger.

Obviously, there are young children in the area because there are many elementary schools. I go to the area often and you see many families at the main Jeffco Library on West 20th. If you go to the large new Wheat Ridge recreation Center on Kipling, near West 38th, you see many families. There are many families going to the business at the Applewood Shopping Center at Youngfield. There are many churches, in this area, and they are filled with children.

I would suggest you take a ride around the locations on the weekends and you will see many families.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver