Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 06:28 PM

7 posts, read 21,351 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Denver mid-November from Atlanta!!!

I will be living in Capitol Hill and attending DU for a graduate degree. I currently have a car, but I'm considering selling it. The money I could get for the car would be nice and I generally like the car-free lifestyle.

However, I don't want to get out there and realize I've made a mistake. BTW, my fiance will have a car, but I won't be able to use it to get back and forth from home to school as she will be at work.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 09:33 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
In the Index of Threads....under the Transit topic....is a thread listed called Car Free Living in Denver....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:31 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
That's easy if you have a car for weekends and whatnot. DU is super easy to get to, especially if you aren't too far from light rail. Or alternatively you can take the bus, Capitol Hill isn't that far.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:16 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denvercobound View Post
I'm moving to Denver mid-November from Atlanta!!!

I will be living in Capitol Hill and attending DU for a graduate degree. I currently have a car, but I'm considering selling it. The money I could get for the car would be nice and I generally like the car-free lifestyle.

However, I don't want to get out there and realize I've made a mistake. BTW, my fiance will have a car, but I won't be able to use it to get back and forth from home to school as she will be at work.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Pretty easy. That will be about a 20-25 min. bus ride each way for you. Plus waiting/walking time to the bus stop. Or about a 30 min. bike ride (good trails). Probably about the same about of time either way.

Another option you might want to consider. Get an apartment near DU. It's a nice area. Then you can walk to class, and your fiance can take the car to work.

University Of Denver to 1400 Downing St, Denver, CO 80218 - Google Maps

University Of Denver to 1400 Downing St, Denver, CO 80218 - Google Maps

Old 10-01-2010, 07:35 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,927 times
[/quote]

I double plus good this post.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:40 PM

7 posts, read 21,351 times
To follow up, I've been in Denver for about a month now. I will say that it is very easy to get around the city car-free.

Fortunately, I live within five blocks of a hardware store, two grocery stores, a dry cleaner and several restaurants. I've used the bus also to cross town which was above-average service compared to other cities.

As I first posted, my fiance has a car so it allows us to go to the foothills or high country on weekends.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
It's nice to get some followup! Thanks, denvercobound.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:18 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
That's easy if you have a car for weekends and whatnot. DU is super easy to get to, especially if you aren't too far from light rail. Or alternatively you can take the bus, Capitol Hill isn't that far.
take a bus is a good method...

Old 12-12-2010, 10:18 PM

164 posts, read 596,139 times
Congrats on pulling the trigger on this. Glad to hear others are able to envision car-free living as something other than a compromise on the American Dream.
There's at least 1 and maybe more car-sharing services in town, but if you have random access to your fiancee's car then that's a great option too. You picked an excellent area to live without a car: the bus service is good in Cap Hill and with everything being nearby there is no real reason to feel as if you're missing anything.
If you are a bike rider, you should be pretty well set for anything that comes up if there is no car available and the bus isn't as fast as it could be.

Congrats on making this move.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:29 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
I am also seriously thinking about giving up the car, I work from home most of the time and live in BelMar which has everything right nearby. However, no light rail .

The only thing I am going to miss is going to the mountains for snowboarding but I worked it out and I could rent a car 2 times a month from Nov-Mar and still be very far ahead of having a monthly payment. Plus there is always the chance of carpooling. Bus service seems to be very good here, but I am still thinking about it. Having a wife and kid makes my situation a bit different, but I think we could still pull it off.

Denver needs zipcar by the way .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: