U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2010, 06:03 PM

3 posts, read 8,300 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting family in Colorado Springs (late December), but will have to stay one day in Denver. Here are some questions I'm hoping the locals could help me with:

1) What to do in Denver for a day in late December?
2) Can I get to it (easily) without having a car?
3) If the need arises, can I get to Colorado Springs from the Denver airport without a car or spending more than $25?

And, as a sidenote, anything to make sure I catch while I'm in Colorado Springs? I know, once I'm there relatives will be happy enough to take me somewhere, but I doubt they'll be creative enough to think of anything other than sitting around their living room drinking, so I'd like to come with a plan
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 08:55 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,998,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazztoon View Post
I'm visiting family in Colorado Springs (late December), but will have to stay one day in Denver. Here are some questions I'm hoping the locals could help me with:

3) If the need arises, can I get to Colorado Springs from the Denver airport without a car or spending more than $25?

And, as a sidenote, anything to make sure I catch while I'm in Colorado Springs? I know, once I'm there relatives will be happy enough to take me somewhere, but I doubt they'll be creative enough to think of anything other than sitting around their living room drinking, so I'd like to come with a plan
1) See the City and County Building. See the D&F Tower. (Both should be beautiful when lit up.) Go to the Denver Art Museum. Do the 16th Street Mall from Civic Center Park to Confluence Park (better yet, take a brisk walk or bike ride up Cherry Creek to get there.) Plus all the usual things one might do in Denver any other time of winter...Downtown, Cherry Creek, hit some bars and drink some wonderful local beer (and local whiskey). Go to Golden and do the Coors tour (though that'll be a slight trek without a car.) Catch an Avs game if you're here between Dec 17th and 27th. Assuming we have snow, pick a good park with a hill and go sledding See a band somewhere on Colfax. Spend on afternoon on South Pearl Street or an evening at Highland Square. Go up into the mountains (though preferably not on a weekend) and take a hike, go skiing or snowboarding...or just a drive...that'll take up a longer portion of your day, of course, and you won't be seeing Denver.

2) If you're near the light rail or a B-Cycle station, definitely. Otherwise, we have some pretty good, if occasionally complicated bus routes here that will get you most anywhere you might want to go in town, though depending on where you'll be, it could take a while. Downtown is very walkable, as is the Cherry Creek neighborhood.

3) Probably not, though I've never really looked. Cheapest way to get from the airport to somewhere else in Denver still costs about $8 minimum (usually more) taking RTD (public transit.) You might check out Front Range Express. They provide bus service along the Front Range cities. I don't know if they run directly to and from DIA, but that in conjunction with RTD service might get you to C Springs for under $25.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:13 PM

90,352 posts, read 113,626,269 times
Things to do in Colorado Springs:

Garden of the Gods Park is right in Colorado Springs. You can drive/walk around.

I don't know if the cog railroad is running at that time of year.

Old Colorado City is a nice little shopping district; kind of artsy.

Manitou Springs.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:56 AM

7,139 posts, read 10,147,867 times
Quote:

Walk around Downtown Denver. 16th St. Mall, Larimer Square, Civic Center. Take a tour of the Colorado State Capitol, and the Denver Art Museum. Find a nice restaurant to eat dinner. Then check out the Christmas light on the City and County Building. That should keep you busy for a day.

Quote:
Sure, if you are near Downtown, or can ride the bus to Downtown.

Quote:
Hell no, unless you are planing on hitchhiking.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:34 PM

2,755 posts, read 12,431,144 times
I think there are some shuttle services between DIA and Colorado Springs -- a quick google search turned up Colorado Springs Shuttle, but at a price of $50.00 one way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>