Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 09:28 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I recommend that you learn Spanish. Why be illiterate among half the population? Just a suggestion...
Case in point of "perception is everything".

Old 10-16-2010, 09:35 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
I will assume you are taking exception to my "half the population" exaggeration. No, it's not near half yet, not in Colorado, and won't be for another few decades.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:53 AM

529 posts, read 1,325,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
LOL, well thats a nicer response than what I've gotten thus far lol.

Can anyone explain to me exactly how Colorado is so much more different than Texas? I mean...like Mach said, coming from the east (and have been to the east) Im able to see a bigger difference.

I understand people out here are more athletic and active, and aren't as pretentious as in parts of Texas. But Im finding that people out here still have the same erroneous stereotypes about people as do in Texas.
Yes the Front Range is really like Texas. LA jr reminds me of Dallas except I wouldn't characterize the people as friendly in general. Sprawl-a-lot-o springs definitely reminds me of San Antonio with a hint of Lubbock; military presence and a place for families. But I could characterize for the most part that the Sprawl-Blob could be DFW or STL or Chicago. Because all sprawl-blobs look alike to me. LA jr has mountains in the background when you can see them through the brown pollution fog the other sprawl blobs have better food.

The only plus I see in a Texas sprawl blob versus the CO blob is that there are fewer NYers and Bostonians there..

Old 10-16-2010, 10:43 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,119 times
Cruising, give Colorado a chance. You haven't been here very long yet.

I am a white guy. One of my best friends is black. She lives in Chicago. She typically comes out to visit 2 to 3 times a year. Much like you, she is generally interested in dating white men. She has never had a problem meeting men during her visits. She actually had a very short lived long distance relationship with one of them.

I think the secret to her success is that she goes for what she wants. Rather than waiting for men she finds attractive to come hit on her, she is proactive and starts the conversation. Give it a try. You simply can't categorize all people together based on where they live. There are people everywhere who are attracted to people of different colors and sizes.

For what it's worth, she has mentioned on numerous occasions that she finds it easier to meet and date men of various races in Denver than it is in Chicago. Where abouts in Denver are you living?

P.S. I would take you out as well, but I probably wouldn't be your type as I am gay

Old 10-16-2010, 11:58 AM

339 posts, read 1,287,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
My husband is from Tampa area- Seminole/Pinellas Park and has more family in Zephryhills, Dade City, and Ft. Lauderdale and I was a bit surprised that you said you didn't hear Spanish that often.
I didn't say I didn't hear Spanish that often. FYI, I spent a good deal of mid-high school in those areas. Yes, you would hear it, but its not like out here though. And in Tampa, alot of the Hispanics are Americanized Puerto Ricans from up north: Jersey, CT and NY. You have some Cubans and some (Mexicans which were treated quite badly IMO).

I met a guy in Ft Lauderdale who was Mexican and he pretty much told me how it is once you get out towards this way. He pretty much said that if I dont look Hispanic, they wouldn't give much thought. But since I 'sort of' looked like I was, I wouldn't be as 'ignored' or 'stared at'. And he was right...so right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
if you are so open minded then why do you ONLY date white guys?
When I stated "other people I've come across" that meant that I dated Hispanic guys out here too. I do not just date only White guys. When I was in San Antonio all I dated were Mexicans (who were obviously Americanized and didn't speak in Spanish in front of me), and in Dallas I pretty much dated a few Black. Where you live partly determine who you end up with. Thats just how it is out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I recommend that you learn Spanish. Why be illiterate among half the population? Just a suggestion...
The point bears repeating: I actually can write and speak in Spanish...and know a bit. It was a requirement to take 2 years foreign language before graduating. So Im not illiterate, take that back.

But, the dialects aren't as easy to understand.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:29 PM

11 posts, read 19,596 times
Move to Atlanta. I don't think you'll find what you are looking for out west unless, you lived in the Bay Area...particularly East Bay.

There are more mixed couples here(White/Black)...one cool thing about Atlanta. Also, it would be more familiar to you since it's in the South.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:44 PM

339 posts, read 1,287,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant_2010 View Post
Move to Atlanta. There are more mixed couples here(White/Black)...one cool thing about Atlanta. Also, it would be more familiar to you since it's in the South.
oh God no...Atlanta is not my style. I had thought about moving there last Winter, but after a visit decided it wasn't for me.

I prefer a place thats a bit more 'international'. I knew a couple from Atlanta move to Florida and complain it was 'too White' for them and couldn't adjust and moved back to Atlanta. I dont want my life to be like that.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:44 PM

11 posts, read 19,596 times
Quote:
I prefer a place thats a bit more 'international'. I knew a couple from Atlanta move to Florida and complain it was 'too White' for them and couldn't adjust and moved back to Atlanta. I dont want my life to be like that.
Then I would highly suggest Oakland...if you can afford it. There's a good size black population and it isn't uncommon to have friends that are all from different races. You'd be next to Berkeley. One thing about Oakland, there is a portion of the black population that is upset with the gentrification going on...well, I should say that was a problem I knew about back in 2001. I haven't been in the Bay Area since then.

California, in general, is a lot more casual than the East/South. You stated you had a problem with that in Denver. Having been in Denver a handful of times, I got the sense that the people were more outdoors oriented; because of the awesome rockies. Am I right to assume that?

Old 10-16-2010, 03:07 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
I think what the poster is trying to say is that a little courtesy goes a long way in the public arena.

Last edited by thedwightguy; 10-16-2010 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: syntax

Old 10-16-2010, 03:37 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,084 times
I'm gonna make this simple. You pose the question:

Quote:
Why am I getting the impression that Colorado is no different than Texas?
Then you go on and say things like the following:

Quote:
One thing Im finding particularly annoying is, I go to the gym and sit in the steam room...and this is like the 3rd or 4th time that I go in and all you hear is Mexicans speaking spanish as if this is not America. How the hell can I even attempt to make conversation when people aren't even speaking where I can understand?

I have nothing against Latinos/Hispanics: but I feel that the same way I felt isolated in Texas is the same thing as it is here. I didn't get that when I was in Florida, except areas of Miami that have been 'taken over'.

In addition, I am also seeing that as a Black person (who is actually mixed with White and Cherokee), I'm limited to the 'limited' amount of other Blacks in this area...which really isn't even what I go for. For the amount of White and Latinos out here, I'd expect a bit more...when it comes to the dating pool. but as far as I can tell, people here are in their own world when it comes down to it. Sure, there's exceptions...but the majority is staggering.
Taking great pains to identify how "alike" all these things and people are...pigeon holing everyone and each place (Texas and Colorado) by race, language, culture, etc...before going on to this:

Quote:
Above all, this place is just far too casual for my liking. I understand its the mountains, and skiing and biking is whats 'in'...but there really doesn't seem to be any place for someone who actually likes to be unique and original. All I can think is that I'd best be heading out of here before I just completely spoil my image of Colorado.

I do like that the people out here are friendly and nice, but is it really or is it just being fake? When I go to a city and see that things are so divided up like I've witnessed here in Denver, I cant help but to think majority of gestures of kindness are just...filling. Texas was the same way...
Maybe you should start looking at the "unique" and "original" aspects a little closer before putting everyone else in a neatly categorized box. What seems fake to me are all these divisions you talk about. Like anywhere in the U.S., there are people from all walks of life, and some of them congregate a bit more than others...but Denver is going to be different from Boulder is going to be different from C Springs. You're looking so hard at the fact that everyone has differences (ANYWHERE in this country) that to you it all looks the same...and sometimes it is the same.

But maybe you need to look a little closer at individual people and places instead of broadly discussing stereotypes and overall impressions. Otherwise you're just coming across like every other out-of-stater that shows up, finds out Colorado is not what they expected, and then complains. Not very unique or original.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver