Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:21 AM

12,385 posts, read 28,389,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
I have been traveling between Denver, Colorado Springs and some cities in the Rockies now for the past month and a half. Im originally from Florida. I just recently came out here in a attempt to relocate from Texas having lived in San Antonio and Dallas. But now, I'm changing my mind.

I am just dumbfounded that after 900+ miles, it still seems like the same thing. I understand that Coloradans (is that correct, Coloradans?) aren't particularly fond of people from Texas...which initially made me think it'd be different out here. But as time goes on, I dont think i'd notice a difference if I'd fell asleep and woke up in Denver. It seems like the same thing.

One thing Im finding particularly annoying is, I go to the gym and sit in the steam room...and this is like the 3rd or 4th time that I go in and all you hear is Mexicans speaking spanish as if this is not America. How the hell can I even attempt to make conversation when people aren't even speaking where I can understand?

I have nothing against Latinos/Hispanics: but I feel that the same way I felt isolated in Texas is the same thing as it is here. I didn't get that when I was in Florida, except areas of Miami that have been 'taken over'.

In addition, I am also seeing that as a Black person (who is actually mixed with White and Cherokee), I'm limited to the 'limited' amount of other Blacks in this area...which really isn't even what I go for. For the amount of White and Latinos out here, I'd expect a bit more...when it comes to the dating pool. but as far as I can tell, people here are in their own world when it comes down to it. Sure, there's exceptions...but the majority is staggering.

Above all, this place is just far too casual for my liking. I understand its the mountains, and skiing and biking is whats 'in'...but there really doesn't seem to be any place for someone who actually likes to be unique and original. All I can think is that I'd best be heading out of here before I just completely spoil my image of Colorado.

I do like that the people out here are friendly and nice, but is it really or is it just being fake? When I go to a city and see that things are so divided up like I've witnessed here in Denver, I cant help but to think majority of gestures of kindness are just...filling. Texas was the same way...

Colorado did not feel like Texas to me... Sounds like you have some race issues. If you come to Chicago there are way more mexicans than Denver and it is definitely not like Texas here... If you go to NYC you will hear tons of spanish as well from the massive puerto rican population.
Sounds like the problem is you?
The spanish speakers were there before the English speakers...
PS Colorado fought against Texas in the Civil war.

I see you changed your mind now, Denver is awesome. I am more of a *big* city guy but if I went with a medium size city it would be Denver easily.

Last edited by grapico; 11-08-2010 at 10:44 AM..

Old 11-09-2010, 05:06 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,933,603 times
CruisingUSA wrote:
Why am I getting the impression that Colorado is no different than Texas?
Wherever you go...there you are!

Old 11-10-2010, 08:38 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,596,356 times
Quote:
I had a friend warn me awhile back, before I ever visited Denver...that the area is a very frugal, and he couldn't of been closer than the truth...

I work in sales, and unlike Texas I have found people here to be uncompromisingly frugal. It is very hard to upsell to clients out here, as compared to Texas, Oklahoma and even Kansas City.

I cant really understand the rationale behind that, being that this is a seemingly progressive city...but after going to Colorado Springs and seeing that they turn off 4-5 street lights in a row to save money, is a bit disconcerting to me. Right along with the people I've come across who think spending $20 on a shirt is too expensive. Stuff like that just drives me nuts. If people aren't spending any money, how can they expect any to come here? Answer is..it wont. I had the same issue in San Antonio and I fell for the same trap here. All the money is on the coasts.

The area has proven to be cheap, and a person like me from Miami cant deal with not having access to the fast money...
Just like that!! Fast-Money goes fast out of the pockets and now this...........

BOA account forced closed, want to pay it back BUT...

CruisingUSA had a pit-stop.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:11 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,933,603 times
CruisingUSa wrote:
All the money is on the coasts.
When I read your statement, my gut was telling me that you were wrong, so I checked my wallet and discoverd that it contained $227. Since I am currently in western Clorado, I now know for a fact that there is at least $227....not on the coasts.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:00 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,478,769 times
Quote:
Above all, I found Indy people to be excessively churchy and weird.
Funny, I've lived in Indy for 15 years, and I've never been asked to attend someone's church. I don't attend church. I don't know anyone who attends church. I'm guessing some of my friends/acquaintences do, but they don't talk about it.

This poster is full of crap, but I'm taking from some of the other posts here that most of you have figured that out already. Take care, Denver.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:25 AM

339 posts, read 1,283,141 times
Well, I just got back into Denver last night after traveling for the past month...and just as I was about to sign an apartment lease, Im having 2nd thoughts AGAIN about moving to the area. Looking around, seems the best value for money is in Aurora...and I personally do not care for that area of town. Capitol Hill is supposed to be all 'hip and urban' but Im not really down with the dilapidated Victorian homes, lack of nighttime parking, and everything else that goes along with living in urban residential area.

Business here is lagging, but not terrible. On top of that, I'm really not sure if I'm ready for the winter here. Honestly, I just cannot put a face to Denver. I can't really put my finger on what it is about this place thats not allowing me to commit to signing a lease. Maybe Im just leery about the winter, the cost of living (which seems disproportional to what people here like to pay and earn), and the fact that for a city this size...it still seems like its falling behind in different aspects, and it makes me afraid to invest here.

I'm sad to say that It'd probably be best that I turn right back around, while I've still got the money to do so. Like, tomorrow

And having immediately noticed...I have to contribute the bad drivers here with the fact that traffic along I-25 is so awful. Denver drivers literally keep me gripping the steering wheel tightly. I keep thinking to myself, God I hope they dont drive like this in the winter snow!

Last edited by CruisingUSA; 11-19-2010 at 02:36 AM..

Old 11-19-2010, 04:13 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,786,234 times
Quote:
Well, I just got back into Denver last night after traveling for the past month...and just as I was about to sign an apartment lease, Im having 2nd thoughts AGAIN about moving to the area. Looking around, seems the best value for money is in Aurora...and I personally do not care for that area of town. Capitol Hill is supposed to be all 'hip and urban' but Im not really down with the dilapidated Victorian homes, lack of nighttime parking, and everything else that goes along with living in urban residential area.

Business here is lagging, but not terrible. On top of that, I'm really not sure if I'm ready for the winter here. Honestly, I just cannot put a face to Denver. I can't really put my finger on what it is about this place thats not allowing me to commit to signing a lease. Maybe Im just leery about the winter, the cost of living (which seems disproportional to what people here like to pay and earn), and the fact that for a city this size...it still seems like its falling behind in different aspects, and it makes me afraid to invest here.

I'm sad to say that It'd probably be best that I turn right back around, while I've still got the money to do so. Like, tomorrow

And having immediately noticed...I have to contribute the bad drivers here with the fact that traffic along I-25 is so awful. Denver drivers literally keep me gripping the steering wheel tightly. I keep thinking to myself, God I hope they dont drive like this in the winter snow!
Aurora is big enough to have something you'd like within its borders. No one says you have to live in Capitol Hill either.

What reservations are you having about the winter here? BTW, no, they drive worse in the snow.

I'm getting the impression that you're over-thinking this. Either you want to live here or not. I know you sure were longing for Denver when you were in Indianapolis....

Old 11-19-2010, 12:42 PM

well, having went back to Texas last week and staying for several days I will say it most definently isn't alike...

I was mostly just missing the mountain view, but I realized you can find that in every state west of Texas.

The reservations I have about the winter is that I keep getting mixed opinions about it. Some people tell me its awful, others say its 'occasionally bad'. I cant even decide which one is which.

I remember a friend was visiting here for awhile in a vacation home and he told me, "Im getting tired of this snow..."

Old 11-19-2010, 01:09 PM

[quote=David Aguilar;16711290]Aurora is big enough to have something you'd like within its borders. quote]

Aurora does have stuff in its borders, but I dont like how its situated in the city. You have to drive down 225 and up 25 to get to cherry creek unless you want to spend 30 minutes driving across the city. Downtown is also far out. Its too branched out, sort of like the market center/northpark area of Dallas. They are directly across from each other, but take like an hour to get to.

I also have reservations about Aurora being the 'Black area of town'. I'm Black but dont feel I have to be limited to that area of town though.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:42 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,786,234 times
Quote:
The reservations I have about the winter is that I keep getting mixed opinions about it. Some people tell me its awful, others say its 'occasionally bad'. I cant even decide which one is which.

I remember a friend was visiting here for awhile in a vacation home and he told me, "Im getting tired of this snow..."
Winter isn't awful here. I'm a native Southern CA'ian and I can handle it.

It can get cold, but it's a dry cold and is tolerable. I never need more than a beanie, thermals, and a hoodie, and rarely need more than a hoodie. I only wear gloves when it's below 10°F, which isn't very often.

When it snows, the roads can suck. It can suck having to brush/scrape the car when you leave, and having to allow extra time to get where you're going. But it can be a fun adventure. I still look forward to winter every year (my fourth one here), so it must not be that bad.

Quote:
Aurora does have stuff in its borders, but I dont like how its situated in the city. You have to drive down 225 and up 25 to get to cherry creek unless you want to spend 30 minutes driving across the city. Downtown is also far out. Its too branched out, sort of like the market center/northpark area of Dallas. They are directly across from each other, but take like an hour to get to.

I also have reservations about Aurora being the 'Black area of town'. I'm Black but dont feel I have to be limited to that area of town though.
If I were you I'd look for somewhere in the following zips:

If you can't find anything you like in any of those, then you won't find anything you like here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver