Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 12:35 AM

339 posts, read 1,287,010 times

Advertisements

I have been traveling between Denver, Colorado Springs and some cities in the Rockies now for the past month and a half. Im originally from Florida. I just recently came out here in a attempt to relocate from Texas having lived in San Antonio and Dallas. But now, I'm changing my mind.

I am just dumbfounded that after 900+ miles, it still seems like the same thing. I understand that Coloradans (is that correct, Coloradans?) aren't particularly fond of people from Texas...which initially made me think it'd be different out here. But as time goes on, I dont think i'd notice a difference if I'd fell asleep and woke up in Denver. It seems like the same thing.

One thing Im finding particularly annoying is, I go to the gym and sit in the steam room...and this is like the 3rd or 4th time that I go in and all you hear is Mexicans speaking spanish as if this is not America. How the hell can I even attempt to make conversation when people aren't even speaking where I can understand?

I have nothing against Latinos/Hispanics: but I feel that the same way I felt isolated in Texas is the same thing as it is here. I didn't get that when I was in Florida, except areas of Miami that have been 'taken over'.

In addition, I am also seeing that as a Black person (who is actually mixed with White and Cherokee), I'm limited to the 'limited' amount of other Blacks in this area...which really isn't even what I go for. For the amount of White and Latinos out here, I'd expect a bit more...when it comes to the dating pool. but as far as I can tell, people here are in their own world when it comes down to it. Sure, there's exceptions...but the majority is staggering.

Above all, this place is just far too casual for my liking. I understand its the mountains, and skiing and biking is whats 'in'...but there really doesn't seem to be any place for someone who actually likes to be unique and original. All I can think is that I'd best be heading out of here before I just completely spoil my image of Colorado.

I do like that the people out here are friendly and nice, but is it really or is it just being fake? When I go to a city and see that things are so divided up like I've witnessed here in Denver, I cant help but to think majority of gestures of kindness are just...filling. Texas was the same way...

Old 10-15-2010, 09:59 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
I have been traveling between Denver, Colorado Springs and some cities in the Rockies now for the past month and a half. Im originally from Florida. I just recently came out here in a attempt to relocate from Texas having lived in San Antonio and Dallas. But now, I'm changing my mind.

I am just dumbfounded that after 900+ miles, it still seems like the same thing. I understand that Coloradans (is that correct, Coloradans?) aren't particularly fond of people from Texas...which initially made me think it'd be different out here. But as time goes on, I dont think i'd notice a difference if I'd fell asleep and woke up in Denver. It seems like the same thing.

One thing Im finding particularly annoying is, I go to the gym and sit in the steam room...and this is like the 3rd or 4th time that I go in and all you hear is Mexicans speaking spanish as if this is not America. How the hell can I even attempt to make conversation when people aren't even speaking where I can understand?

I have nothing against Latinos/Hispanics: but I feel that the same way I felt isolated in Texas is the same thing as it is here. I didn't get that when I was in Florida, except areas of Miami that have been 'taken over'.

In addition, I am also seeing that as a Black person (who is actually mixed with White and Cherokee), I'm limited to the 'limited' amount of other Blacks in this area...which really isn't even what I go for. For the amount of White and Latinos out here, I'd expect a bit more...when it comes to the dating pool. but as far as I can tell, people here are in their own world when it comes down to it. Sure, there's exceptions...but the majority is staggering.

Above all, this place is just far too casual for my liking. I understand its the mountains, and skiing and biking is whats 'in'...but there really doesn't seem to be any place for someone who actually likes to be unique and original. All I can think is that I'd best be heading out of here before I just completely spoil my image of Colorado.

I do like that the people out here are friendly and nice, but is it really or is it just being fake? When I go to a city and see that things are so divided up like I've witnessed here in Denver, I cant help but to think majority of gestures of kindness are just...filling. Texas was the same way...
I don't care if you're from Texas, but I'll say that I definitely prefer Nebraskans.

There are Mexicans who speak Spanish in America. Get used to it. Americans (especially a decent sized segment of native-Coloradans) speak Spanish in America. Cry a river, ignore it, move somewhere else, or aprenda español. There's no reason for you to feel isolated, 92.9% of Coloradans speak English "at least very well".

I have no idea what you are trying to convey in the bolded paragraph (especially the first couple of sentences).

Old 10-15-2010, 10:09 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
Hello? Colorado is in the Southwest..what do you expect? You are from Florida then you should understand this-I live in Florida now and am a CO native-I hear spainish all the time here.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:48 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
I would suggest North Dakota.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:58 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
I would suggest North Dakota.
I just spit out my pop-

Old 10-15-2010, 12:45 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
I don't know why you are getting that impression. I've lived in San Antonio and Denver and have found them to be very different places with very different people and very different cultures. I found Texans to be some of the friendliest people, much more friendly and laid back then Coloradans generally speaking. I liked the Mexican/German culture in SA and I felt welcomed there even though I am white and 99% of my friends, co-workers and neighbors were Hispanic. It seemed very different to me then Denver. I'm not in love with either city but I like them both well enough for different reasons and since I have moved around a lot I know that there is no perfect place out there. Each city is what you make of it. If you want something different you should probably at least move out of the southwest and try a new region all together. The east coast and NW are very different then CO and TX.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:41 PM

339 posts, read 1,287,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Hello? Colorado is in the Southwest..what do you expect? You are from Florida then you should understand this-I live in Florida now and am a CO native-I hear spainish all the time here.
well, you are correct on that...but Im not planning on moving back to Florida anyhow. It also depends on where you live at in Florida. I grew up for the most part in Tampa...and I knew alot who didn't speak Spanish. Colorado is probably one of those states that where, if you dont speak Spanish, you aren't...and if you aren't Spanish, we're going to speak it anyway so you cant understand (or think you cant) what we are saying. I dont have time for that nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I have no idea what you are trying to convey in the bolded paragraph (especially the first couple of sentences).
Well, correct me if Im wrong (which Im sure Im not) but from what I see...its like the only types who are interested in a non-white/hispanic is someone with jungle fever. I dont want someone with jungle fever, I want to meet someone who's naturally open-minded. Obviously Denver is nothing like Bulgaria, Ireland and Italy or even France where I'd have 0 issues finding a hot White guy.

For example, at the club the other night. 4 guys dancing, 3 were White and 1 was Black. Im focused on 1 of the White guys. No surprise, guess who comes up and starts dancing with me? The Black guy. And Im thinking to myself, just because Im Black I'm supposed to be dancing with you? I was polite and danced, but walked away after a couple of minutes.

FYI, I took 2 years Espanol en High School so Im not completely dumb (or deaf) to the language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I don't know why you are getting that impression. I've lived in San Antonio and Denver and have found them to be very different places with very different people and very different cultures. If you want something different you should probably at least move out of the southwest and try a new region all together. The east coast and NW are very different then CO and TX.
Well, yeah they may different in 'some ways' but overall I feel they aren't worlds apart. I do know, that the people out here in Colorado are alot more open-minded than the close-minded people out in San Antonio on some levels. That in itself is great, but not a major change.

I do agree about getting to a different region. Even when I went to Las Vegas, I still felt a 'slight' similarity to all of this. I was going to check out Phoenix, but I'd been of gone 2,000 some miles only to be seeing the exact same way of life as Denver, Vegas and Texas. These areas still have a long way to go when it comes down to it...Im not willing to stick around and wait for that.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:45 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
well, you are correct on that...but Im not planning on moving back to Florida anyhow. It also depends on where you live at in Florida. I grew up for the most part in Tampa...and I knew alot who didn't speak Spanish. Colorado is probably one of those states that where, if you dont speak Spanish, you aren't...and if you aren't Spanish, we're going to speak it anyway so you cant understand (or think you cant) what we are saying. I dont have time for that nonsense.
This is very common in the west. Some people don't peg me as someone who can understand Spanish, and when I bust out something indicating that I knew what they were saying it teaches them to watch what they say around me. I understand the feeling, but unfortunately we can't do anything about it.

For example, I recall a time when my mother was walking into a Sears in California. She spoke/understood Spanish well enough to carry on conversations, but wasn't fluent. As she was walking into Sears, a woman looks right into my mother's face and says, "GRANDOTA!", which roughly translates to "Giant Woman" (my mother was 6'3"). My mother had enough wit to stare right back into that woman's face and call her "FEA!" (ugly).

Quote:
Well, correct me if Im wrong (which Im sure Im not) but from what I see...its like the only types who are interested in a non-white/hispanic is someone with jungle fever. I dont want someone with jungle fever, I want to meet someone who's naturally open-minded. Obviously Denver is nothing like Bulgaria, Ireland and Italy or even France where I'd have 0 issues finding a hot White guy.

For example, at the club the other night. 4 guys dancing, 3 were White and 1 was Black. Im focused on 1 of the White guys. No surprise, guess who comes up and starts dancing with me? The Black guy. And Im thinking to myself, just because Im Black I'm supposed to be dancing with you? I was polite and danced, but walked away after a couple of minutes.
Wow, that sucks. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully you can find some more open-minded guys (of any race) to dance with.

IMO Denver isn't a racially harmonious utopia as some would lead us to believe. I see a lot of "sticking with one's kind" around here, a lot more than I saw growing up in Southern CA. In my experience around here, the less diverse areas seem to be more integrated (for whatever reason).

Give Colorado more of a chance. 1.5 months isn't long enough IMO. If you still feel the same way 6 months-1 year from now, then start think about leaving. In the meantime, just blow all of this stuff off, and give yourself a chance to settle in.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:46 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Mexicans are Mexicans whether they are in Texas or Colorado. They speak Spanish to each other because it is their first language, and that is the language in which they are most comfortable. Speaking in Spanish to a friend is not rude. Speaking in Spanish to a friend about you is rude. If you understand Spanish, then you should know if they are speaking about you.

If you are feeling left out, maybe you should look at the one thing that both Colorado and Texas has had in common: you. If you want to make conversation with people, then maybe you should try speaking with them instead of listening in and trying to find a spot to jump in. Even the Spanish speakers probably speak English. If you want to date a nice white guy, then introduce yourself to him, ask him to dance, buy him a drink, but don't wait for him to come to you. You need to be a little more proactive.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:17 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,995,056 times
Quote:

I think you do have a problem. Anyone that actually cares if someone is speaking a language other than English in the United States has a major problem in my opinion.

Colorado has a few similarities with Texas, but for the most part it's a whole different world. Colorado is way better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver