Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 10:52 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times

Advertisements

vegas, I would agree with your assessment of life as a UCD student. Doesn't sound like fun. USC is certainly a good school with a good rep. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,289 times
Hey Vegaspilgram, so what did you finally decide? I assume you chose USC or some other more accredited program versus UCD?? right? I only ask because I am currently attending CU denver and had the same kind of questions about which school to attend when I was ready to transfer from a 2 year school. I am a non traditional student and what I mean by that is I'm little older (30) and have more life experience under my belt than your average 18-21 yr old college student. Putting that aside, I was torn between CU boulder, CSU and CU denver. My brother graduated from CSU and is doing good, but he did admit to me he should have went to atleast CU or better and he could have easily, but he wanted to be near his friends and stay in Colorado. So CSU was out for me. I ended up choosing CU denver because of my age and my experiences and felt that I would relate to more of my peers in my upper level classes. And in that matter I was correct, I do! More of my peers are around my age and share similar goals and experiences. I only have another semester left as an economics major, and I think I want to go to grad school after. But now I'm in the same boat again wondering if I should go to a "better" more well known school. I had a conversation with a professor the other day regarding being published in acedemia. I asked him if CU boulder was a better school? His answer was that CU Boulder has more published professors which in acedemia a big deal I guess, in short I got that CU boulder was a better school and I feel like CU denver might be a stepping stone for younger professors???(I don't know) So now it got me thinking, maybe I should have chosen CU Boulder instead of CU denver, oh well I'm here and I'll finish it up. But I am really thinking hard about going to grad school here or not. Guess I'll start doing my research as well!

Old 11-12-2008, 11:18 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,303,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakemonster78 View Post
Hey Vegaspilgram, so what did you finally decide? I assume you chose USC or some other more accredited program versus UCD?? right? I only ask because I am currently attending CU denver and had the same kind of questions about which school to attend when I was ready to transfer from a 2 year school. I am a non traditional student and what I mean by that is I'm little older (30) and have more life experience under my belt than your average 18-21 yr old college student. Putting that aside, I was torn between CU boulder, CSU and CU denver. My brother graduated from CSU and is doing good, but he did admit to me he should have went to atleast CU or better and he could have easily, but he wanted to be near his friends and stay in Colorado. So CSU was out for me. I ended up choosing CU denver because of my age and my experiences and felt that I would relate to more of my peers in my upper level classes. And in that matter I was correct, I do! More of my peers are around my age and share similar goals and experiences. I only have another semester left as an economics major, and I think I want to go to grad school after. But now I'm in the same boat again wondering if I should go to a "better" more well known school. I had a conversation with a professor the other day regarding being published in acedemia. I asked him if CU boulder was a better school? His answer was that CU Boulder has more published professors which in acedemia a big deal I guess, in short I got that CU boulder was a better school and I feel like CU denver might be a stepping stone for younger professors???(I don't know) So now it got me thinking, maybe I should have chosen CU Boulder instead of CU denver, oh well I'm here and I'll finish it up. But I am really thinking hard about going to grad school here or not. Guess I'll start doing my research as well!
Yes, I'm at USC right now. I've been here since June, and have half a year to go until I graduate. My situation is very different than your situation. Your postgraduate goal is academia, becoming a phd (in economics?). My goal was/is to get a job in accounting. You're trying to decide between 2 major state public schools and one branch campus of one of those schools, all in Colorado, all within an hour and a half drive from each other; I was trying to decide between a branch campus of the state university in Denver (UCD) and a semi-prestigious private school in the second largest city in the country. I would have preferred to go to CU Boulder, but they would not accept me for at least another semester and I didn't want to wait-- I wanted to get my degree started NOW. BTW, UCD is fully accredited in accounting by the AACSB. Maybe you meant USC is more well known or higher "ranked," but there's no way it can be "more accredited." I knowingly came into USC knowing that I was not going to want to live in LA, but that I was going to suck it up and get this degree done in one year, then come back to Denver. Whether you should attend CU Boulder or CU Denver or CSU, I really am not the person to ask. From my point of view, considering that I want a career in Denver, either one of those those would be preferable for what it is I want to accomplish than the school I'm stuck at now.

I came to this program under the impression that USC's recruiting network could get me a job with the Big Four in Denver. It turns out I was wrong; my plan has actually backfired with me. I have been rejected from all the Big Four and mid-tier national accounting firms, likely because I told them I wanted to work in Denver. And they didn't come back and give me the option of working in LA, just flat out rejected. I can't seem to get much of a response from the local Denver firms either, even though I clearly told them that I'm born and raised in Denver and this is my home. These numbskulls can't get it through their heads that I'm not a Californian, I'm a Coloradan temporarily going to school here who's coming right back home second I graduate in May. My application gets thrown in the garbage regardless. I'm getting a degree here, and that's good, but as of this point in time I should have just went to CU Denver; the advantage I thought I would have going to USC has completely vaporized. Now I'm an extremely uncomfortable situation. I either take any old job I can find here in LA where I do not want to live, just to know I have a job, that will likely pay somewhere in the upper 30k to mid 40k range, a meager, bare bones salary considering the cost of living in LA, or I graduate with no job and come back home to Denver and then start looking for a job (which would probably pay something in the 30k to low 40k range-- but much more liveable on that salary than even a few more 1,000 in LA), this time as a local candidate.

If there's one piece advice I could give, it's go to school in the city/region where you want to get a job after you graduate from school. If you want Denver, than CU, CSU, or UCD will do the trick just fine. I should have known better back in March when I was making my decision; it's just that I was suckered into USC's propaganda making me believe that their school was so great that it could overcome geographical biases in recruiting. Turns out that just ain't so. If you're going into academia though, chances are you could end up literally anywhere across the country-- whoever happens to have the best program in your field. If you plan on becoming a professor you will likely have NO CHOICE in where you want to live.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:00 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,051,528 times
I am so sorry Vegas, that sucks! I know I went to UCD for my MBA, just finished in May, and only had one out of state interview (though I got the job). I really hated the third degree I got from them when I was coming out, which at the time when my wife was on her way to her PhD. Every person I talked to out here said how nice it was that I would move for her, it's like what do they expect me to do!?

I don't think anyone wants to risk hiring people out of state at the moment, the info I got from one headhunter was that it's a massive risk for the company. They need to spend a good deal of money for interviewing and moving, and if the person is a total weirdo the person can sue for expenses because they relocated on the behest of the company. I don't like it, I love experiancing new places, but I can see it

Old 11-14-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I am so sorry Vegas, that sucks! I know I went to UCD for my MBA, just finished in May, and only had one out of state interview (though I got the job). I really hated the third degree I got from them when I was coming out, which at the time when my wife was on her way to her PhD. Every person I talked to out here said how nice it was that I would move for her, it's like what do they expect me to do!?

I don't think anyone wants to risk hiring people out of state at the moment, the info I got from one headhunter was that it's a massive risk for the company. They need to spend a good deal of money for interviewing and moving, and if the person is a total weirdo the person can sue for expenses because they relocated on the behest of the company. I don't like it, I love experiancing new places, but I can see it
But how do I convince them otherwise? I'm willing to fly out to Denver at my own expense to make it to the job interview! I have ZERO moving costs. As soon as I graduate in May, my apartment lease is up anyway, I'm trashing my ikea furniture, loading everything else that fits in my car, hitting I-15 to I-70, and three tanks of gas and a one night stop in Vegas later, I'm back home. I'll be living with my parents until I get settled in and get my own place. Why is this so hard for these HR dummies to understand?

Old 11-14-2008, 10:45 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
But how do I convince them otherwise? I'm willing to fly out to Denver at my own expense to make it to the job interview! I have ZERO moving costs. As soon as I graduate in May, my apartment lease is up anyway, I'm trashing my ikea furniture, loading everything else that fits in my car, hitting I-15 to I-70, and three tanks of gas and a one night stop in Vegas later, I'm back home. I'll be living with my parents until I get settled in and get my own place. Why is this so hard for these HR dummies to understand?
Vegas- a possiblity for you to consider if you get desperate- Several acquaintances of mine signed on with AccounTemps (temporary accounting positions). Their assignments were okay, the pay not horrible, and all eventually were offered good, permanent positions.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Also, after your first job, there's hope. My nephew graduated from CU-Leeds in 2004 with a master's in finanace/accounting. He worked in Denver for a couple years, then got a job in Pittsburgh for two years, just started a job in Chicago in August. I know he got moving expenses this time, to move to Chicago, and I'm pretty sure he got something for expenses when he moved to Pittsburgh.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:11 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,051,528 times
Quote:
Honestly, most people in HR don't want to. If I had to listen to employee complaints all day, the only thing I would work hard at is finding a bar serving cheap drinks.

The only thing I can say is find a job you are just a bit overqualified for and apply for it. The HR person will drool, the manager will be happy, and you have a good chance. They hire you and you go out there, then look for the new job you really want. Worst comes to worse you have a paycheck till you find it.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Vegas- a possiblity for you to consider if you get desperate- Several acquaintances of mine signed on with AccounTemps (temporary accounting positions). Their assignments were okay, the pay not horrible, and all eventually were offered good, permanent positions.
I think that's a good idea actually. I don't even have to get a full time job at first-- even an internship would be a great start. Fortunately on the bright side of things, I am NOT desperate. I have a home in Denver I can live in until I get settled in with a full time position. Also, even though right now many firms are already hiring for positions that don't begin until next September-- 10 months from now, I can't even begin to work until I graduate next May anyway. Even after I graduate that's still 4 months to find a job before I would start working even if I had a job offer right now. There's even a good chance I'll end up working before most of my peers start working. I can also look into private accounting (ie- working directly for a company as opposed to a business services firm).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Also, after your first job, there's hope. My nephew graduated from CU-Leeds in 2004 with a master's in finanace/accounting. He worked in Denver for a couple years, then got a job in Pittsburgh for two years, just started a job in Chicago in August. I know he got moving expenses this time, to move to Chicago, and I'm pretty sure he got something for expenses when he moved to Pittsburgh.
I'm still optimistic for the long term. It's just how the economy is going to play out within the next 6-12 months that has me really worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Honestly, most people in HR don't want to. If I had to listen to employee complaints all day, the only thing I would work hard at is finding a bar serving cheap drinks.
Haha, I think you got that one right. No offense to anyone on this forum who is an HR person, I just don't hold career HR people in general in very high regard. Especially people who have done that their entire careers and have never actually worked in the industry they help manage. I can play the kissing up game to an extent, but I'll admit there's probably other people who are better at being smooth talking people pleasers than me.

Quote:
The only thing I can say is find a job you are just a bit overqualified for and apply for it. The HR person will drool, the manager will be happy, and you have a good chance. They hire you and you go out there, then look for the new job you really want. Worst comes to worse you have a paycheck till you find it.
Exactly. Let's say I did just that-- starting off in something I was a little bit "overqualified" (which I'd define as something that doesn't require the company to invest a whole lot of time in training) for 6 months to a 1 year, at the same time try again this time next year, up until the 2010 spring tax season, with the Big Four in Denver, this time as a local candidate-- and with a little bit of experience. Do you think that would look really bad on my resume having switched my first job so soon-- or do you think that could be a good plan? I'm not worried about "wasting time"-- this time exactly a year ago I had no idea I even wanted to be an accountant. I've already come a long way in terms of figuring out what it is I want in the last year. I'm just worried about not "damaging" my resume. That's why suzco's Accountemps idea could end up being what the doctor ordered.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:19 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,718,316 times
I work with CPAs, all of them came from one of the big 4 in Denver. All of them said they got in via internship, not from applying for work. Once their internship was done, they got in. They were also all on the CPA track. They now work with lawyers. Much better atmosphere. The stuff I've heard... the CPAs I work with say being a CPA is worse than lawyers. And lawyers work all the time, ALL THE TIME. Trust me, I know. yikes.

I finished at UCD and was very happy with the education and degree I received. I'm doing nothing w/ the degree but that isn't their fault. I've been to all three schools at one time or another and I'd say that UCD is several steps above Metro.

Oh and to the person who is looking to transfer, I transferred from CCD under a pre-arranged agreement. It went really smoothly as I took all my gen. education requirements at CCD and then all of my degree requirements at UCD. I know that other Colo. community colleges do this, so it's something to look for. It was hard to find, I happened to just fall into it.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver