Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 11:55 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,084 times

Advertisements

I would say that sometimes things are beyond our control...but in this case you seem kind of angry. If it's coming across in what you perceive to be a non-antagonistic post, then I suspect it may be coming across in your correspondence with potential housemates/roommates. I'm not sure why age is even coming up in these conversations in the first place. I'm just as surprised that there are people discriminating just because you're over the age of 30. I've known people all over the place from varying backgrounds, age ranges, ethnicities, etc... that had no issue living with one another so long as everyone seemed reliable, did their part, and tried to keep a healthy attitude.

If you are such a person, maybe you need to sell that a little more...you're a WORKING musician, you're laid back but responsible, you like to get things done and move on to living life and relaxing.

It's also possible that you're just looking in the wrong places, though I couldn't say for sure since I don't know where you're looking (or where else you could look.) Seems like an ideal economy to take on extra house/roommates so everyone can save some money.

Whatever the situation, I wish you the best and hope you can find someone reliable to room with soon. If I think of any suggestions, I'll try to keep you in mind and pass it on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 12:27 PM

129 posts, read 211,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
I would say that sometimes things are beyond our control...but in this case you seem kind of angry. If it's coming across in what you perceive to be a non-antagonistic post, then I suspect it may be coming across in your correspondence with potential housemates/roommates. I'm not sure why age is even coming up in these conversations in the first place. I'm just as surprised that there are people discriminating just because you're over the age of 30. I've known people all over the place from varying backgrounds, age ranges, ethnicities, etc... that had no issue living with one another so long as everyone seemed reliable, did their part, and tried to keep a healthy attitude.
Hello Zenkonami, yes, you are picking up a bit of anger on my part, (I am a very laid back person, most of the time) however, it's mainly towards the dismissive, or worse, the finger-pointing, passive/aggressive attitude I've felt from a poster or two. The only reason age has "come up", is that because it is usually stated in the listings, not because I bring it up, since it ISN'T an issue for me; I don't care what someone's age is, I only care if we are a compatible fit in a living situation.

And yes, I too, have know many people, in many different places, who have no issues with varying ages of friends/acquaintances, etc.. However, it is an overwhelmingly common fact, that this is not the case in Craigslistings...

Quote:
If you are such a person, maybe you need to sell that a little more...you're a WORKING musician, you're laid back but responsible, you like to get things done and move on to living life and relaxing.
Zen, I DO, that's all I mention when I respond, I can show you 150 responses I've sent, all I say is what you just laid out, and that I always pay bills on time, keep common areas clean, am considerate, help with stuff that needs to be done (lawn care, shoveling snow, etc), etc., etc. etc....
There's usually never a conversation about age, since there's usually never a conversation. What's odd is that I see some of the places I've responded to, still sitting unfilled, weeks (even months) later. Guess some people would rather lose money than even talk to someone who's not their age, and that makes no sense to me, whatsoever...

Quote:
It's also possible that you're just looking in the wrong places, though I couldn't say for sure since I don't know where you're looking (or where else you could look.) Seems like an ideal economy to take on extra house/roommates so everyone can save some money.

Whatever the situation, I wish you the best and hope you can find someone reliable to room with soon. If I think of any suggestions, I'll try to keep you in mind and pass it on.
Again, I honestly don't understand what "looking in the wrong places" even means, what do you mean by that? I've been looking in many places, pretty much every part of the Denver area within the circle of C-470.
Thanks for your concern, and hopefully this near-nightmare will end soon....

Old 10-25-2010, 02:58 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,614,939 times
Sorry that you are having a hard time getting rental in room - share.

Maybe it is best to put your hands down and as Larry the Cable-Guy says "GET-R-DONE!"

Here you go: Denver Home Rentals, Homes for Rent in Denver CO, Apartments, Houses for Rent, and Rental Homes in Denver, Colorado

What thing I always learned is never to depend on anyone but yourself. Trying looking for an efficiency apartment. Are you able to rent / afford a home on your own? How's your credit?

Old 10-25-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Sorry that you are having a hard time getting rental in room - share.

Maybe it is best to put your hands down and as Larry the Cable-Guy says "GET-R-DONE!"

Here you go: Denver Home Rentals, Homes for Rent in Denver CO, Apartments, Houses for Rent, and Rental Homes in Denver, Colorado

What thing I always learned is never to depend on anyone but yourself. Trying looking for an efficiency apartment. Are you able to rent / afford a home on your own? How's your credit?
Thanks for the advice Mike, I've been doing a little looking for places, but an apartment is just not a great option, for various reasons, mostly related to both practicing & carrying expensive instruments & equipment in and out....
And since I'm so new here, and not sure what area is the best for me, I just wanted a simple share situation, so I'm somewhere, without having to sign up for utilities, cable, internet, etc., & having to replace all the kitchen dishes & utensils I got rid of before leaving Atlanta, etc. ..
As for credit, I have excellent credit, nearly 800, but that's never even come up in my communications. As I said, most of the time, there's simply no response. I have signed up for a couple of services, too, but I guess it seemed that Craigslist is just so straightforward & simple, that I never in a million years thought it would be this laborious...

Old 10-25-2010, 05:40 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
I don't know if they'll be useful in areas that you're interested (they have lots of properties in Boulder area, I don't know how big they are in greater metro Denver) , but it's worth a call to Housing Helpers.

While they're primarily a rental outfit, they have a roommates/house sharing service. I've not used them, but I know many people who have; some good experiences, some not so good, but there's nothing for you to lose by calling them to see if they can help.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:18 PM

229 posts, read 750,483 times
You should place your own "Seeking Housing" post on craigslist. Look for some like minded older musician.

Try something like this:
"Seeking experienced tromboner to jam with. Must love sax."

Old 10-28-2010, 08:01 AM

47 posts, read 182,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movementarian View Post
You should place your own "Seeking Housing" post on craigslist. Look for some like minded older musician.

Try something like this:

Old 02-22-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movementarian View Post

Try something like this:
Well, I did finally find a place, but now that I'm out of the turmoil & stress of that process, I see that this IS what I should have done! (altho I wouldn't hope for a trombonist)
I did put in one notice on CL like that, however, I only did it once, and put it in the "Community/Musicians" section, which makes sense, but also should have put notices like that in the Housing Wanted section. Of course, now I wonder "what was I thinking"? Ah, the clarity & wisdom of hindsight... If only I could shift into that mode sooner...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: