Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 10:03 PM

305 posts, read 770,244 times

Advertisements

I've read reports that the elementary schools in Stapleton are very good although somewhat crowded, as more children than were expected moved into the neighborhood. The city is apparently working to improve the situation. Everyone I know who has young children is very happy there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 08:02 PM

11 posts, read 23,720 times
My DW is driving me insane. We've looked fir rental houses in about every single area within 40 miles of Denver, and today it's Smoky Hill so she can live near her sister.

Commute; like I said, I'm working in Dupont (Commerce City), but my hours will be outside what I believe to be bad commute hours. I'll work 0600-1400 M-F. Im from Nebraska so the ~22 miles doesn't bother me (nothing close together here), I simply don't want to be crawling in traffic for an hour + each way. Thoughts?

I'm going to lose my mind...

Old 11-09-2010, 08:38 AM

305 posts, read 770,244 times
Hang in there, Swanson! We live in the area of Smoky Hill (the High School and the road) and the neighborhoods are safe and the schools (Cherry Creek district) are excellent. It would be an easy commute for your wife, but at least 40 minutes for you. If your DW will be happy living by her sister, that might make you happy too! ; )

Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 953 times
Default Stapleton and more

Hi Swanson, my name is Deb Goetz.

You mentioned Stapleton-- I live and work in Stapleton and love it here. I noticed you mentioned you were more comfortable with the suburbs but yet it might be that the suburbs that are closest to you are not exactly what you are looking for. Give Stapleton a serious look-- puts you right in the middle for you and your wife's commute. Sounds like you have driven around Stapleton and have seen all the parks, trails, dog park, town center, swimming pools, community activity, unique home designs, narrow streets, etc. What you don't "see" are the incredible neighborhood organizations/groups that fit most anyone or family in Stapleton and the schools, not only look great from driving by but they really are award winning schools. Here is a link to the schools: http://www.stapletondenver.com/commu...s-here/schools

My daughter is a sophomore at CU-Boulder so I can't speak specifically to any experience with the schools here but I do have several friends (and they have friends.....) who have kids in the elementary and soon to go into middle schools. They really like the schools, teachers, curriculum, and location being right in their neighborhood. From what I understand, you have to live in Stapleton for your kids to attend the schools.

Someone in the forum spoke of Reunion. I have some experience in this area in that I have sold property in this sub-division. Gorgeous setting, trails, parks, pool, golf course, lake, single family homes and attached homes with continued development all around it. Close to the airport! (which is why I have sold to clients in this area) The city is Commerce City and here is a link for that school district. http://www.adams14.org

If you choose to look south-- look into the Cherry Creek School District. http://www.ccsd.k12.co.us/ It really expands pretty far east and south and is a desired school district. I have a friend who is an Asst. Principal at one of the elementary schools in this district and he speaks well of it.

I would really suggest some hands-on discovery of the schools your kids would be attending in any of the areas you are considering. Then you will get a direct experience with staff, students and the physical school. Each school more than likely has its own website too-- which would give you further insight as to how they function, etc.

So that all being said, I hope I have been helpful here! Good luck to you and your family and welcome to Denver, Colorado!

Deb
p.s. not sure how the links I added in this email will come across so you might have to decipher the address and copy/paste.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-10-2010 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: to correct some typos and links

Old 01-30-2011, 11:21 AM

7 posts, read 6,774 times
I don't know a lot about the public schools around Stapleton other than School of the Arts which is great (a mid-school/high school for kids who want careers in the arts). I do know there are some great private schools (check out British Primary). Stapleton is a really nice place for families. A bit too yuppy for my tastes (I like a little grit and diversity) but I know lots of people that love the "urban" feel (restaurants and shopping in the town center) and the "suburban" feel (parks, fountains, etc). It really is a nice mix of convenient yet neighborhoody.

As far as your commute it would be ideal. I used to live near I-70 and Colorado Blvd and work out by Children's. My commute was 15 to 20 minutes and Stapleton was right in the middle. Price-wise east of Quebec and north of 23rd will be higher than the older homes on the other sides. The homes in the cheaper areas vary a lot and block to block you get the good, bad and ugly. West of Quebec is Park Hill. Some of Park Hill are down-right swanky, but some of the northern parts are more run-down. Particularly north of Martin Luther King Blvd although there are lots of nice blocks there too.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver