Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 09:57 PM

6 posts, read 17,886 times

Advertisements

I have read many threads for at least a year now and there is just so much info, but I am still undecided. My fiance and I want to move to Colorado within a year or so and he will be working in Denver so it will need to be an acceptable commute...around 30min to an hour at max I guess. I want a place where we can raise a family and keep the kids grounded, have a lot of outdoor activities, nice schools, nice friendly people, I would prefer a place with the houses not so close together with open space around(but don't want to deprive my future children from having neighbor kids close by to play with)...an acre or two would be nice but may not be feasible in a price range around 400,00 - 500,000 and close to Denver. Being near a lake is a dream of mine, but I may have to wait for that dream. I have looked at Highlands Ranch (may be too cookie cutter), Arvada, or Golden...I don't know.

Does anyone have any suggestions of anything that fits my picky criteria? lol It is so hard to tell without being there and being able to drive around the areas a lot.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 10:55 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
First of all, "working in Denver" is very very broad. Will he be downtown? In the Tech Center? Federal Center? Hard to know how long his commute will be without knowing where his job is located.

Secondly, you said south, west, or southwest of Denver. There are some areas of Littleton that meet your criteria, specifically around Heritage High School, except that I don't know current prices. Also a community called Bel Mar (they have a private lake), or another one just west of Littleton called Columbine Valley.

A good realtor can help you with your search.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:37 AM

6 posts, read 17,886 times
He would be working right in the heart of Denver at the Denver Police Department.
Thanks I'll check the places out that you suggested!

Old 11-17-2010, 09:38 AM

305 posts, read 770,341 times
Hi Chelzzz,

Finding acreage that's not too far of a commute to Denver and under $500,000 may be difficult, but it's not impossible.

You're more likely to find larger lots in the western suburbs--Arvada and Golden would be good choices, as would parts of Lakewood. Are you interested in a Colorado mountain feel? Conifer is in the mountains yet not a bad commute to the west side of Denver. You'd definitely be able to find acreage there. I know a family that lives out there and loves it.

I agree with Dreaming that some parts of Littleton close to Heritage H.S. have that wonderful, rural feeling while still being very close to the city. Aberdeen and Ridge View are two communities that come to mind. They are very close to S. Broadway yet feel worlds away. Homes in these neighborhoods don't come on the market that often, and the lots will be under half an acre, but that is still good-sized for being in the Denver metro. Many homes here are in your price range and the Littleton Public Schools are excellent.

Bow Mar in Littleton (the community with the private lake) is gorgeous but very expensive. I've seen houses in there that are as low as 600,000 but they are generally small, older fixer-uppers on large lots. Belmar (in Lakewood) is a new, high-density mixed-use neighborhood with both commercial spaces and lofts.

From your description of what you're looking for in a neighborhood, I don't think you'd be too crazy about Highlands Ranch. It is very cookie cutter and lots are typically very small (although schools are good and the amenities very family-friendly).

Depending on where in the city you'll be working, you could also possibly consider a southeastern suburb, like Parker, where there are a lot of acreage properties, but that may end up being too much of a commute to most of Denver.

Lots of luck with your future plans! : )

Old 11-17-2010, 12:36 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Thanks shukertj. I did mean Bow Mar, not Bel Mar. Was trying to look on-line to see what the prices of properties are currently (with the down market) and now I know why I couldn't find it!

Old 11-17-2010, 08:54 PM

305 posts, read 770,341 times
Sure, Dreaming--It's easy to get those two confused! : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver