U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 08:18 AM

170 posts, read 514,556 times

Advertisements

Im a licensed journeymen electrician with 10 years experience and cant find any work whatsover here in Colorado.

I have been here 4 years now (from Hawaii) and loved Denver but looks like im going to have to move

Im hearing Texas is doing pretty good in construction so probably going to move there but will miss the mountains and snow....ah well
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 06:47 AM

8,175 posts, read 13,274,311 times
If you want to stay near the mountains in TX your choices are extremely limited. El Paso is the only major metro area near anything resembling mountains (although the Franklin Mountains are only 7,000 feet).

The other major metro areas are all in mostly flat areas, the exception being Austin and San Antonio. Those cities are on the edge of the hill country.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:04 AM

2,185 posts, read 4,734,475 times
I moved to Texas because of work, finally escaped. Worst decision I ever made and it was difficult to get out.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:40 PM

264 posts, read 655,672 times
Sometimes you have to move where the work is available. Texas isn't that bad. Having a good attitude about it can help. We moved here from Texas & the job situation isn't going as planned, so going back might be a possibility. Either way, life's too short to get worked up about little things. Trust me, you'll find things to like about where you live no matter where you end up.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:50 PM

15,402 posts, read 27,745,007 times
I don't know anything about your field, but I've heard Pittsburgh has a fair number of job openings these days, so they might also have something in your field. It's worth looking into. Pittsburgh is a hilly town with a few small mountains.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:40 PM

6,035 posts, read 10,855,813 times
Texas is probably better, but I'm sure people from all over are running down there due to current conditions. I'd just go look around first and not make any commitments to the area before making it official.

If anything I'd think since you like snow and mountains parts of Wyoming will give you a better shot with less competition since not too many people are willing to live there no matter what the economy is like.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:49 PM

339 posts, read 1,236,326 times
Well, I just left Denver, almost signed a lease but I was having the same issue...not getting enough work out there. And I couldn't justify living surrounded by nothing much and freezing while paying more for rent than Texas. I just left Texas and really it just depends...dallas and houston are far too competitive in my field, and Austin doesn't have any money.

Everyone is running to Texas from all corners but whats that doing? Making it more competitive. And like cupcake77 said, the place is awful and it took me over 2 years to get away from because once you're there...you forget that live exists beyond that.

But personally...I believe Denver is like that too. Kansas City and Albuquerque is a production to get to.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:00 PM

11,517 posts, read 50,329,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Texas is probably better, but I'm sure people from all over are running down there due to current conditions. I'd just go look around first and not make any commitments to the area before making it official.

If anything I'd think since you like snow and mountains parts of Wyoming will give you a better shot with less competition since not too many people are willing to live there no matter what the economy is like.
I know way too many electricians ... journeyman level and above ... that don't have work in Wyoming, either. The folk that have these jobs here in the extractive industries are hanging on to their jobs for now, and there's not much new construction going on, either.

The situation is bad enough that Craig's List has ads running from various tradesman seeking work in the area ... anything, small jobs, whatever ...
and I know several that are working out of Labor Ready doing anything they can for $7 per hour.

I watched a lot of recent construction in the Vail area that brought in all the skilled tradespeople up from Denver or from other places where the workers were willing to hire on for much lower than prevailing wages paid in the Colorado mountains with modest housing and per diems provided. Most of those major build-outs are now completed and the workforce has left ... the GC's didn't make any friends in the local workforce with this practice. But the work is completed and the jobs are gone ....

Old 11-22-2010, 06:27 AM

308 posts, read 567,416 times
I have a buddy that ownes couple of shops and has journey-men working for him under is operation.
He works out of Houston and Dallas regions. I talked to him on Sunday about how his business was going. He told me they are staying busy with all the call outs, rewires and new contract jobs.

His lowest paid starting licensed journey man makes over $32 an hour. No to shabby!!

Old 11-22-2010, 09:39 AM

2,755 posts, read 12,505,854 times
Sadly Colorado is not the most optimal place as far as career opportunities / money versus overall costs of living here. There's enough people that want to live in this area that it drives up costs and drives down wages to a certain extent. Metro Denver comes the closest to optimal as compared to the rest of the state, but frankly it's not hard to find another place that will pay you better and be cheaper to live. Although I don't have personal information, Texas is probably more in that category.

That said, I think it's just foolish to starve to death and refuse to leave a place. For me, Metro Denver would not be my first choice in Colorado, all other things being equal. But all other things are NOT equal, and for career reasons I choose to live here as opposed to the rest of the state. But if things dried up for me in Denver I would not hesitate to make a move rather than stubbornly hanging on hoping things would get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver