Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2006, 07:02 PM

4 posts, read 9,686 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My husband and I are a younger couple (me 22 him 25) and we will be moving to Denver October 1. We currently live in a suburb of Chicago. We will be first time home buyers and could really use some advice. I'm definitly thinking a condo will be more affordable, as most of the houses I've looked at in my price range are older and we arent looking for a fixer-upper. We really would only need a 1 bdrm, and we have a dog. I'm thinking of staying within Denver limits but it really doesnt matter. Something in a decent but affordable area (meaning 100k, not much but I have to start somewhere). I would LOVE a view of the mountains but its not a requirement. Are there any options of very short term rentals while we find a place? I would like to return to school. Does anyone know about what the residency time frame is? Some places are 1 year and some are only 1 month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2006, 10:16 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
Explain what you mean by "what the residency time frame is?"

In order to be considered an in-state student?

Old 08-18-2006, 09:48 AM

4 posts, read 9,686 times
I mean how long do I have to live in CO to get in-state tuition? What about the rest of the message. Do we sound like were headed in the right direction? Im worried about where to stay when we first get there. We know some people there but arent sure if we are going to be able to stay with them. We were going to fly in for the weekend but its just not realistic to expect to find a home over 2-3 days.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:11 AM

I'd call the schools registrar's office and ask them directly.

You can stay in a hotel for a couple days to explore your options. If you are pre-approved for a loan, I have seen people buy (close) in 5 days, and move in.

I work with lots of relocation folks that come, view, choose, offer and return home to pack and close & move in.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:40 PM

6 posts, read 27,813 times
This is so funny, my husband and I are also hoping to move to Denver from Aurora, IL! I wonder if everthing worked out for this couple...

2bindenver I've been reading all of your great posts on this site. Do you find that people quickly find homes in the Denver area? My husband and I are considering putting our house up for sale and hoping that we can quickly find a home in Denver when we find a buyer here. But I also don't want to lose the buyer if they know we are still looking for a home.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:26 PM

How's your market there? Here it is a buyers market. Lots of homes are available to buy here. Sellers have lots of competition, and are willing to make deals. No, the sky is not falling here. We have seen 3-5% appreciation per year since 2001 when our hot market turned lukewarm.

I am putting a nice property on the market this week for an executive whose company is 90% sure that he will be transfered the beginning of next year back to hq. He wants to be done with the selling part before the holidays, and he is willing to go into temporary housing if needed with his family. If the transfer does not happen by the end of January, he will rent a house short term (3 months). When he was transfered here, the relo company hired an agent to sell his house and (can i say this nicely?) he didn't like not having full, complete control over the transaction. So this time he wants it to be different. And his plan of action is detailed :0

Old 10-03-2006, 08:22 AM

6 posts, read 27,813 times
It seems to me that houses in our neighborhood are on the market for 6 months to a year. The house next door to us has been up for sale for about 2 months and hasn't seen a lot of action.

Do you see a lot of nice homes for rent? I think that is going to be our best bet right now. My husband seems to think I should move first and get an apartment on my own while looking for a job/home while he tries to sell the house but that just seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:39 AM

Have you talked to a local real estate professional about the market and what would be a realistic price to get within 3 months for your property? Do you think your neighbors house is overprived or overimproved for the area? Can you find the property on the public MLS sites locally or at realtor dot com? (In other words is the house being marketed?)

Buyers basically come from two places: from Realtors, which is where the MLS fits in the toolbox, and anywhere else (sign, neighbor, internet, flyer) And the listing brokerage is duty bound to attract both types of buyers.

There are "nice" homes to rent here. The only disaster I see in your post is how long can you stand to be seperated from hubby, in a new town, with a new job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: