Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,947 times

Advertisements

I'm doing some research for my younger brother (25) who is taking a job in Denver and planning to move in August.

He's interested in living in the Lodo area. What is the area like? Is it relatively safe?

What type of housing is available? Any recommendations?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 05:09 PM

2,324 posts, read 5,497,369 times
Lodo is the nicest neighborhood you could pick if you want to live downtown. I hope his job pays well though. The average for a one-bedroom is around $1500/month and some are way more than that. You might get a better deal checking craigslist for condos that are for rent than just looking at apartments. The listings on craigslist for rentals ranged from $800 - $4000 /month so there are a few deals but not many.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 7,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
Lodo is the nicest neighborhood you could pick if you want to live downtown. I hope his job pays well though. The average for a one-bedroom is around $1500/month and some are way more than that. You might get a better deal checking craigslist for condos that are for rent than just looking at apartments. The listings on craigslist for rentals ranged from $800 - $4000 /month so there are a few deals but not many.
LoDo is a great area! Lots of entertainment and dining options to keep a 25 year old busy. If he is looking for something a little more affordable he could try finding a nice place in the newer LoHi area or Capitol Hill.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:04 AM

26,167 posts, read 48,881,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoDoFreeman View Post
LoDo is a great area! Lots of entertainment and dining options to keep a 25 year old busy. If he is looking for something a little more affordable he could try finding a nice place in the newer LoHi area or Capitol Hill.
We love it and drive up often to see sports, shows and especially the upcoming Stock Show parade of Longhorn cattle down 17th street.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:21 PM

115 posts, read 228,259 times
Quote:
Lodo is the nicest neighborhood you could pick if you want to live downtown.
I disagree. Lodo is a nice place to visit but not a great place to live. It gets loud most nights, especially summer weekend nights with droves of 20 something drunks getting into trouble and it has no gas stations or grocery stores.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 8,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
The average for a one-bedroom is around $1500/month and some are way more than that.
Is this right for a 1BR in LoDo? I'd like to move here but thought it was $900-$1,100 for a decent place. I lived in Korea for 6 years so am fine with something a little smaller, but still a separate bedroom.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:17 AM

426 posts, read 1,734,161 times
The average is not $1,500 for a 1BR. Maybe for a luxury apt or something RIGHT in the middle of LoDo, but you can definitely get less than that. But I still can't see that being true, especially considering you can get 1BR's for $1,000 and under a few blocks north of Coors Field. One apartment I'm looking at right now (1BR) is right in the middle of downtown on Champa and is only $1,100, and its totally baller.

Personally, I wouldn't really recommend living in LoDo unless he just wants to party all the time. It's basically college life revisited. I'd recommend the Five Points area or the area on the other side of Park St. and around Clarkson (not sure if that has a name, I've only walked through it). A lot of people will tell you a lot of bad things about Five Points, but I loved it and its easier to rent a house if thats your thing. I lived in the 24th/Glenarm area in a huge 1BR with a backyard for $1,200. Never once worried about crime. There is a grocery store (Safeway) nearby, too. I'm not that familiar with the area, but there are some really nice downtown neighborhoods around this area. LoDo and Cap Hill are overrated.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:21 PM

221 posts, read 524,645 times
I just bought a home in LoDo. Its easier to buy then rent. 1 br is anywhere from $1100 to $1600.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:22 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,800,907 times
You can find one bedrooms rentals for over 3k downdown..here are some rentals in RiverFront Park

East West Urban Management

I know of at least four buildings even higher in DTD proper. There are a wide range of rental prices. Wanna see some really insane rentals check out the Sugar Cube building. They have several large two bedrooms in the 9k plus monthly range. But generally rentals in the area are around 1200-1600 in DTD for anything decent.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:30 PM

221 posts, read 524,645 times
$9k monthly plus is so much.

Keep in mind, a lot of the units in LoDo include HOA fees if you decide to rent. You are only responsible for electric. So take that into account too.

I just bought in LoDo, and even with HOA fees, I was saving $500 dollars when comparing utilities to Wash Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: