Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support Fastracks?
Yes! I'll ride it regularly 15 78.95%
I think it's a good idea, but I personally won't use it 2 10.53%
I don't really care 0 0%
No, fastracks is a bad idea for Denver 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 10:53 PM

50 posts, read 222,282 times

Advertisements

So, what's your oppinion on fastracks? Do you think it's really neccisary for the Denver area, and do you think people will use it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 11:24 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
This is a moot question because it has already been asked in a vote--and it has passed---so the answer is most people definitely supported fastrack. Construction has already started on the west Line and the other lines are well along in planning.

People are already using commuter rail and have been using it for years and it has gone beyond predictions on the southwest and the new southeast line has exceeded expectations. So are people going to use it---well--the records stands for itself. Most people have already voted and approved three separate ballots---one for the southeast, one for T-Rex and one for Fasttrack. The vast majority has spoken in the ballots and with their use of the existing lines.

It has shown it is necessary to move this area to a well plannned metro area that will help control congestion on the highways and gives more open access to people and commerce who must or want to use public roads.

It give transportation option to many people because of disability, age (too old or too young) to drive and those who cannot pay for a car or gas.

It will help to better the air quality by getting many people out of their cars which are major part of air pollution. This is definitely needed to qualify for federal funds which are keyed to air quality and most importantly the health of all of our children.

The builtout of the multi-modal transportation structure attracts business and creative individuals who make Denver an attractive place to live now and in the future.

Do we need a football stadium, a baseball stadium--I think not but the majority has voted and so be it. I can argue that it cost more in funds then what we get out of these private enterprises but most people has spoken and I am satisfied.----So let us get on with the completion of the beginning of a good mass transit system.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
The poll doesn't give MY answer. I have no need for it for daily living; however, I might use it occasionally. I work 4 1/2 miles from my home; nothing is quicker than driving for that distance. And I have free parking and a wierd, irregular schedule that makes driving much easier. Would I take it to go to Denver? Yes.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:59 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
I live in an area right now with a HIGH number of senior citizens, many of whom should NOT be driving but still do. I understand why they do, public transit here is not very good; take away their cars with no reliable transit alternative and you take away their independence. Therefore, one of the things I rank high on my Want List for relocation cities is good, widespread and safe public transit. Unlike my parent's generation, I admit that there will come a time that I cannot or should not be driving and I want an area that offers me an alternative transit solution. There will be a huge bunch of people just like me in about 15-25 years - we're called babyboomers. I applaud Denver for having a long term transit plan. Denver is very near the top of my list for relocation, for this very reason.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:49 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
I've studied the maps and plans for the Fastracks program, and I think some of the proposed lines are unnecessary and redundant, while some of them are definitely needed. We need a commuter rail line between Denver and Boulder...yesterday! I would prefer a light rail along that route that connects in the rest of the light rail system, but apparently that won't happen due to the steep grades along the route, so they will be building a traditional engine-powered train. That would be amazing if I could get from SE Aurora to Boulder relatively fast without having to drive. But I don't see why we need a commuter rail AND bus rapid rapid transit along the same route??? And why does the planned west light rail line not extend all the way to Golden and the Colorado School of Mines area? Even with the imperfections, though, Fastracks is an investment in the future.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:30 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
... I would prefer a light rail along that route that connects in the rest of the light rail system, but apparently that won't happen due to the steep grades along the route, so they will be building a traditional engine-powered train...
RTD is not planning a "traditional engine-powered train"; the units for the commuter lines will be Electric Multiple Unit (EMU) 0r Diesel Multiple Unit (DMU). In these rail technologies each coach is separately powered and in not hauled by a locomotive. It is designed for commuter use. The initial choice of not using light rail has more to do with the distances of these lines where the economies work for a commuter rail vs. light rail. In addition light rail has now been ruled out along any rail corridor because of the demands of the rail companies that light rail cannot run alongside commercial rail traffic and that heavier coaches are needed for safety. This happened as a result of a serious accident in California with a light rail train but after the southwest line was built or it would have been a heavy commuter rail.

It must be noted that FasTracks is not only about rail. It is an increase in sales tax to fund an implementation of a multi-modal system including, Bus Rapid Transit, Park and Rides and improved local bus service. All areas are not best suited for light rail technology and a successful transportation system must include adaptation to existing infrastrutures.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:11 PM

435 posts, read 1,814,596 times
I'm def. going to use light rail when I move out there. I'll be working downtown & it makes more sense to use that then not.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:37 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
I live in Chicago, and am so jealous of this. We badly need transit extensions, additions and improvements in Chicago, but it will probably never happen. It's a small miracle if we can just keep our existing transit system running. It teters along on the verge of bankruptcy every year, then every 5 years or so they threaten to shut down unless they get a huge bailout from the state. That's what's happening this year, and the state seems much less interested then usual about rescuing transit. They probably will at the last minute, but I almost hope they don't. Maybe when the Chicagoland area collapses under the ensuing gridlock, we'll finally wake up and realize we need to plan for the future and operate a functional transit system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver