Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 11:26 AM

431 posts, read 1,241,463 times

Advertisements

Yeah I would probably give it a try, and then let you know how it goes. LOL Another long commute question: do many people commute to Denver from Colorado Springs? The cousin that has the Keystone condo lives there, in the northern part near I-25 & Briargate Parkway. They would also let me stay at their house while looking for a permanent place in Denver, but it would be about an hour to many parts of the metro except the southern area. What is the I-25 commute like coming in from the south? I seem to remember it is pretty awful as you get closer to Parker. I know the Palmer Divide can also be more snowy than other areas in the winter. It would be a similar situation where I could live for free (for a few months), but without the great scenery of the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 11:55 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthXSW View Post
It would be a similar situation where I could live for free (for a few months), but without the great scenery of the mountains.
No such thing as "living for free." You're paying for it one way or another... whether that's shifting the bills from rent and utilities to increased automobile expenses, increased food expenses (you'll probably be eating out, on the go, more often), the cost of your time (for people who work hard for a living, time IS money, isn't it?), the cost on all the added stress of commuting on your health, etc. And also, having an address on your resume that is perceived as too far of a commute to your work locations will hurt your job search efforts.

I also disagree with the second part of your statement. Colorado Springs and the drive from Colo Spgs through the southern reaches of the Denver metro area IS pretty top gun scenery, IMO. And especially this time of year, with a long drive to/from the mountains it will be dark on your way to from work anyway-- the only scenery you'll be seeing is the reflected white lines on the pavement and the tail lights of the car in front of you.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:55 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,974,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthXSW View Post
Yeah I would probably give it a try, and then let you know how it goes. LOL Another long commute question: do many people commute to Denver from Colorado Springs? The cousin that has the Keystone condo lives there, in the northern part near I-25 & Briargate Parkway. They would also let me stay at their house while looking for a permanent place in Denver, but it would be about an hour to many parts of the metro except the southern area. What is the I-25 commute like coming in from the south? I seem to remember it is pretty awful as you get closer to Parker. I know the Palmer Divide can also be more snowy than other areas in the winter. It would be a similar situation where I could live for free (for a few months), but without the great scenery of the mountains.
To answer your question, commuting from Colorado Springs would be difficult and not recommended. Traffic can be very bad at times, and weather on the Palmer Divide can be a problem and the road occasionally closes.

But, If it's just a matter of crashing on a couch for a month or two, you probably could do either place but northern Colorado Springs would be closer and have fewer problems with weather. Once you actually get your job then you'd be advised to find a place close to work.

Since you don't know where your job might be, it's probably a good idea to take advantage of the free place to stay in CS, even if it leads to a long commute as you drive to interviews, that sort of thing. It's because you don't want to sign a 12 month lease in highlands ranch and then find out that you get a job in Boulder and have to break your lease.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
To answer your question, commuting from Colorado Springs would be difficult and not recommended. Traffic can be very bad at times, and weather on the Palmer Divide can be a problem and the road occasionally closes.

But, If it's just a matter of crashing on a couch for a month or two, you probably could do either place but northern Colorado Springs would be closer and have fewer problems with weather. Once you actually get your job then you'd be advised to find a place close to work.

Since you don't know where your job might be, it's probably a good idea to take advantage of the free place to stay in CS, even if it leads to a long commute as you drive to interviews, that sort of thing. It's because you don't want to sign a 12 month lease in highlands ranch and then find out that you get a job in Boulder and have to break your lease.
I won't move to Colorado until I have a job. Until construction picks up that may be awhile. Living in the mountains or, more likely, Colorado Springs will be while I'm working but looking for a permanent place to live. Is there not an RTD bus that goes to Colorado Springs? Seems like I remember one that did, and it stopped at the Capital. Not sure where it went in the Springs though, anyone know? If my project was downtown that would be an option and would save gas. But as a construction project manager my job could be anywhere the company I am working for is building something.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:15 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,481,437 times
Yes...there is a bus for that trip. The RTD web site goes into details.

I'm not sure that construction will pick up in this area for AWHILE.

If I was less than 30 or so, I would live in Keystone and ski, ski, and ski. Do whatever to pay the bills. Working at a ski resort would solve all problems. You would never regret a mis-spent winter. The days are growing longer while I type this......

Last edited by JohnHAdams; 01-01-2011 at 05:30 PM..

Old 01-02-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
I'm not sure that construction will pick up in this area for AWHILE.
Yeah that is a major problem. I won't move to Colorado and become another statistic of someone from the South/Midwest moving to Denver to compete with everyone else for the few jobs available. I'll continue to monitor it over the next year or so but I'm not holding my breath either. I'll probably be headed to CS if or when that does happen until I could find a place in Denver. Head up to the condo in the mountains on the weekends.

And I'm in 25 and would love to be a ski bum but would feel too much like a, well, bum. I'm very career-oriented and would like to own a business in the next several years, in Denver.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:16 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,927 times
Honestly, I just don't think either commute is worth it.

There's only so many ways in and out of the mountains, and the minute bad weather hits up there (which may or may not affect Denver), you could find yourself stuck for a bit.

I work with a guy who lives south of the Palmer Divide outside of Colorado Springs and he worries every time the word "snow" even pops up on the news. The weather over the Divide can be very unpredictable.

Those that have mentioned that your daily commute would likely be largely in the dark are correct, which cuts into a scenic drive home, plus your commute becomes substantially longer, which I suspect would cut into your time...well, enjoying living in the mountains. Why not live closer in and take advantage of the mountains on days off? Even a city like Golden would be more reasonable and would put you in the foothills, close to plenty of recreation...hiking, skiing, fishing, biking, etc...

Old 01-03-2011, 03:04 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Even a city like Golden would be more reasonable and would put you in the foothills, close to plenty of recreation...hiking, skiing, fishing, biking, etc...
I was going to suggest Golden or even Evergreen.

Back in the 70's, I had a boyfriend (now husband) who commuted to Denver from Evergreen every day. I think he lasted a year before moving down.

I also had a co-worker who commuted from Longmont every day! Back then, the highway (and Denver itself) was not as crowded as it is now.

Much more recently, my son had a high school teacher who lived off the grid somewhere up in the boonies, I can't remember exactly where. Every time the weather was bad, the school just had to assume this teacher would not be showing up.
Quote:
Palmer Divide
Zenkonami, my husband used to have to go to the Springs all the time, and I always worried during wintry weather. One of my absolute worst white knuckle memories is driving to a Christmas party at Briargate. Bad weather was expected--and came--but my husband was determined that we attend this event. We made our appearance, but spent far more time on the road dodging wrecks than partying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver