Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 08:17 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times

Advertisements

So my wife decides she'd rather ride to work than drive this morning, which means I get to be chauffeur for her. After shoveling, I had to decide between a FWD Jetta with brand new snow tires and a 4WD Toyota truck with 5 year old all-season tires... I go for the truck strictly because we have some side streets to navigate and the car has really low clearance, no desire to high-center it.

Get out on the roads, and they are just a Touch slick, being made worse by the morons who are spinning their tires (seriously, do you not know this makes everything WORSE?) and slamming on their brakes. If you're spinning/sliding, you're generating ice. Then there's the "lane identification" issue, I had the great pleasure of following someone, at 5mph (I was honestly idling, no gas input at all) down a 4-lane street because they were straddling Both lanes. It wasn't hard to see the doted while line if you bothered to look, go the speed you're comfortable, but get outta the way, wouldya? It's not like I was even getting TO the speed limits, I was 5 under (on 25mph side streets) to 15 under (on 45mph, unplowed main roads), and even at those speeds I was running away from the packs. You know that Packs of cars are the most likely place to have an accident, right?

And speaking of slow speeds, I took the truck OUT of 4WD once we hit a main road... so I'm in a RWD truck, with nothing but snow in the back, on 5 year old all season tires and I can accelerate to 25~30 without spinning, and stop without sliding (no ABS to rely on). It's not like this is the first snow of the year, and the majority of drivers were fine. It's just 1 out of every 20 I saw this morning that were driving in a way that they should have their license pulled until they had winter driver training. The sad thing, 90% of those BAD drivers were in 4WD/AWD SUVs and cross-overs. Trying to buy a car to be a crutch instead of just learning to drive in this stuff is bad news (heck, it's bad news in ALL aspects of life, learn to do something Right first, then add in redundancy for a larger cushion if desired).

Bah, just baffled at the poor driving here. I know there are people from all areas of the country that move here, and it's not a city that gets much snow driving experience because of how little it snows here. But come on, it JUST snowed 2 weeks ago, if your tires sucked then why didn't you change them? If you've never driven in snow before, that should have popped the cherry. And if you're just That Scared, none of the buses I saw were even Half full.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:43 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
I used to have a 4WD "OJ" Bronco. It got 12 mpg. In 1990 I switched to a FWD car with Blizzaks. The car was much better than the truck for getting around on snowy roads as long as it didn't get high centered.

Problem is that most people are not skilled drivers. Many think a 4WD SUV is invincible. Truth is that the brakes stop the wheel, the tires stop the car. It's best to avoid driving on snowy days if you can. There will always be incompetent drives made worse by a lack of training.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:50 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Two easy answers. A huge chunk of the metro population are recent transplants from areas that see little or no snow. Also, there is little, if any, driver training on how to drive in winter conditions. So, people either learn from experience or they never really learn at all.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:20 AM

1,663 posts, read 4,362,313 times
I enjoy driving in the snow...but traffic is only as fast as the slowest white-knuckler out there, either due to lack of skill, not having proper equipment, or most often a combination of both. Throw in a few impatient drivers and it turns into a real circus.

Hoping to get up to Steamboat with the wife to do this, just for fun:

Why Choose Us | Bridgestone Winter Driving School

Old 01-10-2011, 09:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I don't blame it all on "recent transplants", especially when so many of them are from the midwest, which gets plenty of snow for learning to drive. I've known many a CO native, including some who grew up in the mountains, that didn't know as much about snow driving as me.

Additionally, I don't get angry at anyone for taking it slow. If I feel I can drive safely a little faster than the guy ahead of me (happened yesterday on the way home from church), I wait until I can pass them.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:30 AM

90 posts, read 285,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
I enjoy driving in the snow...but traffic is only as fast as the slowest white-knuckler out there, either due to lack of skill, not having proper equipment, or most often a combination of both. Throw in a few impatient drivers and it turns into a real circus.

Hoping to get up to Steamboat with the wife to do this, just for fun:

Why Choose Us | Bridgestone Winter Driving School

I'm sure the the class is great, but are you kidding me? $480 for 4 1/2 hours of track time?

Go to Georgetown and do the ice races. Much cheaper. Find an unplowed parking lot and do donuts. Free.

I'll let all the flatlanders in on a little secret. While you are screaming at idiots in front of you and going 20 under the speed limit, people in the foothills are flying along. People up there learn to drive, and have proper vehicles, or perish. Sure, you'll get trapped behind a Texas plate once in a while, but at least you won't be behind two dozen transplants who tremble at the sight of a snowflake.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:33 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't blame it all on "recent transplants", especially when so many of them are from the midwest, which gets plenty of snow for learning to drive. I've known many a CO native, including some who grew up in the mountains, that didn't know as much about snow driving as me.

Additionally, I don't get angry at anyone for taking it slow. If I feel I can drive safely a little faster than the guy ahead of me (happened yesterday on the way home from church), I wait until I can pass them.

Don't forget about a lot of young drivers as well on the roads.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soscrewed View Post
i'm sure the the class is great, but are you kidding me? $480 for 4 1/2 hours of track time?

Go to georgetown and do the ice races. Much cheaper. Find an unplowed parking lot and do donuts. Free.

I'll let all the flatlanders in on a little secret. while you are screaming at idiots in front of you and going 20 under the speed limit, people in the foothills are flying along. people up there learn to drive, and have proper vehicles, or perish. Sure, you'll get trapped behind a texas plate once in a while, but at least you won't be behind two dozen transplants who tremble at the sight of a snowflake.
o. . . . M. . . . G!

http://www.9news.com/news/article.as...4703&catid=339

Motorists are advised to take it slow and give themselves double their usual commute time.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-10-2011 at 09:47 AM..

Old 01-10-2011, 09:52 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
I think it comes down to a lack of experience driving on snow packed roads. For most of the winter, the Denver area roads are dry. People never acquire day in and day out experience driving on snow covered roads over the course of an entire winter. When I lived in Anchorage, many years ago, the city streets were snow packed most of the winter, which gave people an opportunity to get comfortable with it. In Colorado, unless a person lives in a higher elevation mountain town, or travels frequently in the mountains, the roads are free of snow and ice most of the time, so the majority of Colorado drivers simply don't get much practice driving in the snow. Newcomers to the Denver area from the New England states or the upper midwest are likely to be far more experienced driving on snow covered roads than most longtime Denverites.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:21 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soscrewed View Post
I'm sure the the class is great, but are you kidding me? $480 for 4 1/2 hours of track time?
I believe that price is for the whole day: 1/2 day in class and 1/2 day behind the wheel. You're also paying for an experienced instructor to ride shotgun with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver