Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 04:27 PM

12 posts, read 45,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
While this is true, not every non-minority is out to limit you career wise. Approach job opportunities with an open mind, as a means to show your brilliance and worth. Not just "let me get in however I can". That mentality is a sign of mediocrity, and if an employer has to be forced to hire you why work for them anyway.

Companies most certainly realize the importance of hiring individuals from varying social/economic backgrounds. The individuals often bring innovative, positive concepts to an aging mindset, BUT absolutely no one should be forced to hire someone of a certain skin color because of governmental mandates.

Not trying to come down on you, I simply implore you to not be navie and mediocre in your mindset. Affirmative Action does more harm to minorities than good. AA allows those who chose to take advantage, to not try as hard.
I'm confused at how AA is any different than nepotism. If I'm not a member of your country club, guild, legion, fraternity, social group, etc. Affirmative Action was developed because it was proven beyond a reasonable doubt selected populations were excluded from employment based upon hiring practices. Now, I have broken down barriers across this country, including nepotism within my own African American community, to achieve career success. I don't discredit anyone for using Affirmative Action to obtain a job. There is a reason that AA unemployment is so high right now.. even among the uber-educated. People tend to hire people that look like themselves and have the same culture. No weird names, holiday celebrations, etc. Affirmative Action attempts to make this a level playing field. Your employees should be reflective of your community.. Having said that? I don't see many Hispanics, AA, etc. in high level positions in Denver. I guess Nepotism still works or maybe it's .........racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 07:38 PM

48 posts, read 78,731 times
Wanted to give a little update.

Well I've been here around 2 years now. And it looks like it was a great choice.

Never had so much money in my life. Bought a new car(Infiniti G37) and could get a 240k house if I wanted one. I also have a Nissan Pathfinder. I started out in a 300SQ studio in Aurora(Montbello) and now I'm in a 2b1b 855SQ APT in Westminster. Also met a good girl here that I've been with over 1.5 years now! Denver has worked out great for me!

Last edited by augnon; 05-05-2013 at 07:58 PM..

Old 05-05-2013, 07:53 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,472,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augnon View Post

Well I've been here around 2 years now. And it looks like it was a great choice.

Never had so much money in my life. Bought a new car(Infiniti G37) and could get a 240k house if I wanted one. I also have a Nissan Pathfinder. I started out in a 300SQ studio in Aurora(Montbello) and now I'm in a 2b1b in Westminster. Also met a good girl here that I've been with over 1.5 years now! Denver has worked out great for me!
Awesome!!! I love happy endings.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:49 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,927,772 times
That is great news!

Old 05-06-2013, 05:44 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,563,300 times
Quote:

Never had so much money in my life. Bought a new car(Infiniti G37) and could get a 240k house if I wanted one. I also have a Nissan Pathfinder. I started out in a 300SQ studio in Aurora(Montbello) and now I'm in a 2b1b 855SQ APT in Westminster. Also met a good girl here that I've been with over 1.5 years now! Denver has worked out great for me!
What do you think of the beer culture? It is the micro brew Mecca.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
What do you think of the beer culture? It is the micro brew Mecca.
Never really been a beer drinker but what I do find interesting is that coming from Boston where drinking is the norm I can't remember anything about a beer festival or any type of special beer events.

Something funny, alot of people at my job drink moonshine(I work in a small town) I didn't even know people really drink moonshine.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:12 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,126,886 times
Quote:
Never really been a beer drinker but what I do find interesting is that coming from Boston where drinking is the norm I can't remember anything about a beer festival or any type of special beer events.

Something funny, alot of people at my job drink moonshine(I work in a small town) I didn't even know people really drink moonshine.
Great to hear everything's working out I had some neighbors from Georgia who brought some moonshine back from a trip to GA that was in Mason jars. I thought it was nasty, but that's the only time I've ever seen or heard of it.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:

I am also a transplant here from California. I have been here 14 years and I can tell you have way more than I would have in Cali. Comparable paycheck that I can stretch a lot farther.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I am also a transplant here from California. I have been here 14 years and I can tell you have way more than I would have in Cali. Comparable paycheck that I can stretch a lot farther.
Do you mean having a higher salary/savings amount? Please elaborate!

Old 05-06-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Do you mean having a higher salary/savings amount? Please elaborate!
I work in the IT world and I am making pretty much the same I would make in California with my skill set but the cost living is so much lower here. I initially moved here because I knew I wouldn't be able to buy a house in California for a long time. That was in 1999 long before the real estate bubble burst. Now I have a house and a condo I rent out. Gas prices alone in California will make you reconsider changing your lifestyle. I grew up there.

What makes me laugh is when people come here from Texas and they think it is expensive. It is true compared to Texas. Different worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver