Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 08:29 PM

9 posts, read 12,030 times

Advertisements

I have been reading these forums for a while now and have learned much from the posters here. A few weeks ago I decided to make the move to the Denver area, mostly since I was miserable in DC. I am flying in on Saturday, and will check back in soon to pester you guys with questions.

so...HELLO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 08:37 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,346,248 times
Welcome! Good luck with the move.

So you just moved without a visit first? Do you have a job lined up?

Old 05-16-2008, 08:38 PM

84 posts, read 223,883 times
Hi! I'm looking into moving this summer to Denver from Orange County. Are you transferring for work, going without a job, or did you land something from out of state? I'm having a tough time figuring out how to go about this! Anywho...Hello to you too!

Old 05-16-2008, 08:49 PM

Thanks guys!

no 'job' lined up...thus my moniker . I intend to hit the ground running.
The commute, living situation and life in general in DC was becoming intolerable so instead of complaining, I just decided to make the leap. I have a BA and couple of years work experience (1 in my field). I don't expect things to be easy for me in securing a job, but the change is really what I need at this point in my life

Old 05-16-2008, 09:02 PM

Thats how I feel. I have a year of experience in my field as well. Finding a job from California is going to be tough. I want to move in July/August...where exactly do you want to move to?

Old 05-16-2008, 09:10 PM

I have temporary accommodations with a family friend until I am set up and I have some cash reserves. The job market in DC, largely due to the government job, is fairly robust. However, everything else sucks (for me) so it is time to move on.
I lived in SD for a year, and that was the best year of my life. What about you mika? What is prompting you to consider the move?

Old 05-16-2008, 09:18 PM

I visited a couple friends last year and I liked it. They moved back here (The OC) to save money for their wedding because their parents live here and now they are moving back in July. Me, well I'm finishing that first year out of college job experience and I want to look for a new job. I grew up here and want to try something different out, an adventure. Now is the time to do it. I'm single and young...what do I have to lose? Your lucky you have family friends. I'm in the midst of planning a sat/sun trip to verify that I still want to move but I'm having difficulties because although I got a cheap plane ticket, I still need a hotel and car and since I'm not 25, there is an underage fee for renting a car....ugh, I wish it was easier haha

Old 05-16-2008, 09:22 PM

What did you major in? I am now reconsidering my own choice. (not the choice itself but I get the impression that it won't lead me in my intended direction)

Old 05-16-2008, 09:25 PM

Marketing, you?

Old 05-16-2008, 09:35 PM

Geography. Everyone says that a few years after you matriculate your major doesn't matter in the workforce, and while that might be true, I wish that had doubled up. Plus, many of the lower level jobs in my field are desk-jobs, and I like working outside and interacting with people too much. What are entry-level prospects in your field like?

In any case, Denver seems to be a mid-sized cosmopolitan city and I believe (i am an optimist) that word of mouth sill works with people in this internet era. You probably would have no problem finding a gig even if you took the risk and moved (just sayin').
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver