Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 12:50 PM

177 posts, read 420,705 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much for starting and maintaining this thread livecontent. Good public transit is one of the most significant criteria in selecting a city to relocate to.

Most helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I resurrected this thread to have the current readers to think more about using their cars less. I wanted to describe honestly about a bus trip but the muses took over and I good a little poetic. I wanted to say that the buses were more crowded than I ever saw and I having been using them for years as a full paying customer.

I should tell you about the "dregs" of society. If you have read my post, you know I am disabled, and sometimes I can look it, sometimes not. I have to use sometimes "the stick", as my niece calls it, to walk when it becomes more difficult. I could have taken the Access a Ride Bus for the disabled to be picked up and transported to my destination for $3.00. However, on days that a person feels better then you can take any bus for free. Yes, I could have driven but taking the bus gives me much needed exercise--and it was such a crystal clear day in Denver.

My lonely part of my trip was returning from downtown on the express bus, during rush hour to one of the park and rides---I have noticed the more educated people are, the more they want to be isolated from each other, and that is where you get more of the intentional "non look" and the severe expressions, saying to me "go away" we do not acknowledge you. "You better not sit by me", "I am not moving over, my bag is on the seat--move on" "Do not shake your palsy hands in front of me", "Get your stick out of my way" I see it all in their expressions. Some educated and well off people want conformity and do not want to see anything but their pristine perfect lives and I see it, I perceive it, and I cry for them, because of it. These are in my words "The Perfects" vs, "The Dregs"

In taking a bus with the other "dregs", some people talk to me, they smile and most important people acknowledge my existence. Many are lonely, aged, want to be heard, and see me as a safe person. I do see the same behavior as the "perfects" but much less of it--maybe the "dregs" in seeing differences gives them an immunity.

Yet, there is a much kindness you see and feel, in both "perfects" and "dreg" but many time you have to look to perceive. Some people in both groups do not want to move out of their self-perceived conformity.

We are all "dregs". We are all "perfects". As our body and mind changes, we move from the perfect innocent child to the dregs of aged infirmity. "All Dregs" were at one time "perfects" and try and succeed to be "perfects' again. Some "perfects" were, in their life struggle "dregs" and may become "dregs" sooner then when they are old.

So "perfects" be aware that your comfortable conformity can change suddenly--it did for me.

livecontent
I love this post and I love this thread! Thank you livecontent. That "dregs" crack really rubbed me the wrong way, and you addressed it with far more substance and philosophy and wisdom and poetry than I ever could.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobyLL View Post
Hey livecontent, the only problem i have with what you post is this:

I applaud you for taking steps to live what you believe.
I have the same problem.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:09 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,356,046 times
I am happy that this thread has been helpful to all. The public transit in the Denver Metro area has improved substantially over the years. Unfortunately we are in an economic depression that is denied by some, but apparent to many. This has hurt the funding for further expansion of the system under the Fastracks project. It is still going along and there is construction but the future is starting to look someone cloudy. Eventually all will come together but "when?" is the big question. However, many areas of Denver metro can still be livable without a car or encourage a car less life.

There is more of momentum today than when I started this thread about building more transit oriented developments (TOD). What is also good is that "Thrift" and living a more simple life is becoming more an idea in mainstream thought. Giving up feeding the auto beast is certainly a good way toward that goal.

I am still have not given up my little beast but he is being feed less. I have been able go 163 miles in the five weeks, since my last petro feed. I am trying to bring myself below 2000 miles a years versus the 2500 miles a year that I have been extravagantly driving for the past few years. My biggest problem (and joy) is that I have parents in their 80s that do not live off a bus route, and I need to provide some filial obligations. In addition, my ability of mobility is diminishing and a wheelchair may be in the future, but the thought of a wheelchair van is not what I want. Perhaps I will get one of those little electric mobility scooters; souped up with racing strips and able to go that "salt flat" record speed of 8 mph. Maybe that will not be so bad; it is said that girls in their sixties and beyond find those sexy...vvvvrhoommm....

Livecontent

Old 09-18-2009, 06:39 AM

9 posts, read 34,641 times
I just got this in my inbox today and thought it was appropriate for this thread, interesting read!

How To Live Without a Car and Save Money | MintLife Blog | Personal Finance News & Advice

Old 09-18-2009, 02:51 PM

FitKate,

Thanks for the link. It does reiterate issues that I have been saying. I think biking is great option and Denver and the suburbs does offer many commuter trails in the area. In this area, we treat waterways with respect, as there are few. Most of the creeks have paved paths. I view the Platte River Green Way as the main artery with clear creek, cherry creek, bear creek as exits off the main bike highway. It would be nice if we could built businesses along the Platte that are directly accessible by bike; that is just bordering the trail. We can have bike repair shops, stores, restaurants. In a way it could resemble the walk in San Antonio, TX.

I haved lived in New York City and the article does say that it is not bike friendly. However, not all cities in all places are good for bicycles. NYC is a good place to live without a car; in fact it is the norm for many people---they do not have a driver's license. I know I would not enjoy biking in most areas of city and the public transit is very good, so riding a bike would not be as advantages.

Boulder is excellent place to live without a car. Most areas are very dense with great public transit that is supplemented by the City of Boulder to RTD service. That is the case in many college towns that want to encourage other forms of transit. Biking is good in Boulder but can be somewhat dangerous in parts because of the density and the heavy traffic. Boulder is expensive to live but doing without a car can balance the costs.

I did live in Boulder when I was younger and enjoyed the experience. But today, being a senior citizen, I just do not want to be around an area dominate by the college youth; I enjoy the more diverse, quieter suburbs of Denver. Arvada, where I live is also noted for the expansive trails and parks, and it is has easy access to Denver.

Public transit is many areas of Denver suburbs is excellent to non-existent. The older contiguous suburbs have the better transit and as you go out in the newer developments, a car is more necessary. With the extension of the commuter rail, we will see better public transit in the farther suburban areas. So, the important idea is to pick wisely where one choices to live to have these car free options.

Livecontent

Old 04-23-2010, 12:39 PM

556 posts, read 1,196,059 times
Another way to get around downtown without a car. I was at the bike share launch yesterday. here are some photos-

the mayor-

bike parade-

Check out the map at http://denver.bcycle.com. they should be adding more stations this summer so hopefully we will see a lot of red bikes around the city

Old 04-23-2010, 05:50 PM

Thanks for the link. I have been anticipating the launch of this program. It will help tremendously with short trips in Denver. Now, if we can get more of the cars off the street in the Downtown area--that would be even more ideal because riding a bike on some of those traveled streets can be real challenging. However, you do have the Cherry Creek Bike Trail to get you nicely to some areas but the 16th Street Mall is off limits to bicycles.

Livecontent

Old 04-23-2010, 11:33 PM

556 posts, read 1,196,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Thanks for the link. I have been anticipating the launch of this program. It will help tremendously with short trips in Denver. Now, if we can get more of the cars off the street in the Downtown area--that would be even more ideal because riding a bike on some of those traveled streets can be real challenging. However, you do have the Cherry Creek Bike Trail to get you nicely to some areas but the 16th Street Mall is off limits to bicycles.

Livecontent
I consider myself a pretty brave biker, having riden throughout NYC including times square many times before they got rid of the cars there. but I am still often nervous riding the streets of denver because the cars drive so fast, even through the middle of downtown. I hope denver learns from new york and takes back some of that road space for bikes and pedestrians.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I consider myself a pretty brave biker, having riden throughout NYC including times square many times before they got rid of the cars there. but I am still often nervous riding the streets of denver because the cars drive so fast, even through the middle of downtown. I hope denver learns from new york and takes back some of that road space for bikes and pedestrians.
You are a brave soul. I tried biking in NYC and it certainly raised a scare in my young body.

I see the bike messengers downtown but less than many years ago; probably another victim of instant communication.
They certainly know how to zoom around traffic. I think Denver has done a great job in providing good bike and pedestrian friendly paths.

I tend to look at the Platte as the superhighway of biking through the area with the cherry creek, bear creek, other trails/paths as the main bike arterial. The more you avoid mixing cars with bicycles the better.

Many years ago, I did this night ride through downtown Denver. It is great event and it is held every year
2010 Kaiser Permanente MOONLIGHT CLASSIC ::: July 17, 2010 ::: See Denver in a whole new light! I highly recommend it.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver