Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 10:08 PM
gbr gbr started this thread

4 posts, read 6,101 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a move to Denver and I have a few questions. My wife would be working at the CU Medical Center and I will have the kids until I find something worthwhile. We will be looking for a four bedroom rental home (no apartments or duplexes) in a safe neighborhood, preferably near a park. It appears there are some charming neighborhoods between downtown Denver and UCMC (or is it CUMC?). Is it realistic to find something nice for $2,000? A three bedroom will work but a spare room for guests and a home office is preferred. Public schools are not important as our children are very young.

What do child care programs cost? I've made a few calls and it looks like Montessori runs about $3,000 per month for two kids. We would consider a nanny but we prefer our kids be with other children in an enviroment that promotes independent development and learning.

Finally, if we do get pushed into the burbs where do we go? My preference is to lean towards Boulder. I don't mean living in Boulder, but finding a home between Denver and Boulder. Is there something we should know? Commute times? Taxes? Jobs?

All input is welcome and thank you in advance.

gbr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 11:01 PM

305 posts, read 770,053 times
Do you mean the the new University of CO Hospital in Aurora? If so, Park Hill is a charming older neighborhood you might like. It's about midway between the hospital and downtown. I just found an ad on Craigslist for a rental home that sounds like it might work for you. Here's the link: ✤ Pottery Barn Park Hill Bungalow for Rent Near Monaco Parkway & 17th

Yikes!!! Which Montessori school did you talk to? The Montessori School near our home in SE Aurora is $1500 a month for two kids, and that's for full time, 7 am-6 pm. This area is also about 20 minutes from the hospital, though the neighborhoods in SE Aurora are mostly newer developments, and you would be farther away from downtown. Hope this helps!

Old 02-20-2011, 01:07 PM

115 posts, read 228,843 times
If you are referring to the Anschutz medical center, the above listed area, or Lowry or Stapelton which has quite a few parks are good fits although 2 grand a month for four bedrooms, real bedrooms not a modified basement bedroom, is pushing it.

What attracts you to Boulder? 15 years ago the area between the cities was farmland and open, now it is your normal suburban bleh found in any metropolitan area.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbr View Post
My wife and I are considering a move to Denver and I have a few questions. My wife would be working at the CU Medical Center and I will have the kids until I find something worthwhile. We will be looking for a four bedroom rental home (no apartments or duplexes) in a safe neighborhood, preferably near a park. It appears there are some charming neighborhoods between downtown Denver and UCMC (or is it CUMC?). Is it realistic to find something nice for $2,000? A three bedroom will work but a spare room for guests and a home office is preferred. Public schools are not important as our children are very young.

What do child care programs cost? I've made a few calls and it looks like Montessori runs about $3,000 per month for two kids. We would consider a nanny but we prefer our kids be with other children in an enviroment that promotes independent development and learning.

Finally, if we do get pushed into the burbs where do we go? My preference is to lean towards Boulder. I don't mean living in Boulder, but finding a home between Denver and Boulder. Is there something we should know? Commute times? Taxes? Jobs?

All input is welcome and thank you in advance.

gbr
It is 30 miles, exactly, to my house in Louisville from the Health Science Center in Aurora. It is at least 5 miles farther to Boulder, depending on where you go in Boulder. The drive is all freeway/interstate into Louisville, would be the same for Boulder. Then, when you get to Boulder, the driving is slow with lots of traffic congestion on city streets. I would not want to do that every day. There are plenty of nice areas much closer to the HSC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blobbin View Post
If you are referring to the Anschutz medical center, the above listed area, or Lowry or Stapelton which has quite a few parks are good fits although 2 grand a month for four bedrooms, real bedrooms not a modified basement bedroom, is pushing it.

What attracts you to Boulder? 15 years ago the area between the cities was farmland and open, now it is your normal suburban bleh found in any metropolitan area.
In 1996? Surely you jest. Arvada, Westminster, Broomfield, Louisville and even Superior were all well established by then. Maybe 1966. It was pretty built up, except for Superior, when we moved here in 1980.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 02-20-2011 at 06:44 PM..

Old 02-20-2011, 07:55 PM
gbr gbr started this thread

4 posts, read 6,101 times
I'm not familiar with Denver so I apologize for being vague. My wife would be working at the Anshultz Medical Center in Aurora. The Montessori schools I spoke were in the Congress Park and Cherry Creek area (I think). I thought $3,000 sounded a bit high too but the pricing was consistent among the schools. Perhaps those neighborhoods are not for us.

What pricing is more typical for Montessori? We have an infant and a toddler.

What will $2,000 do elsewhere near Aurora? The fourth bedroom can be non conforming as it will be for guests.

Last edited by gbr; 02-20-2011 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-20-2011, 09:57 PM

305 posts, read 770,053 times
Hi gbr,

The Montessori School of Aurora (in SE Aurora) is $800 a month for a preschooler, and I think slightly higher for a toddler. That is for their full day program. Here is the link: Montessori Education, Montessori School of Aurora Aurora, CO Home

You might like the SE Aurora/Centennial area . . . it's about a 20 minute drive to the Anschutz medical campus on I-225 and you will be able to rent a four bedroom home there for $2000. It's a safe and pleasant area full of newer developments--neighborhoods are definitely not as quaint and charming as Denver proper but you will make up for it by being able to afford a larger home.

If you want to stay in Denver, Stapleton is a good option, although you will find that rents are significantly higher there than in the 'burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver