Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2007, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 7,061 times

Advertisements

I am considering taking a job in downtown Denver and moving my family there from the midwest. We would like to live in safe, family friendly area in the city in a 2-3 BR single family home with a small yard and garage. I like what I've read about Stapleton, Lowry, Washington Park, and Highland. Is it realistic to think that I could buy a home that is not in need of major refurbishment for 250K in a city neighborhood such as these?

Many Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 10:23 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
The areas you name are all up-and-coming and you won't find anything for 250K. Especially Wash Park and Highland. However, there are lots of nice areas in Denver where you could possibly find something for that. Realize that it will be small and older.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:57 PM

618 posts, read 1,365,672 times
You could potentially get a 2 or 3 Bdrm in Mayfair or Montclair. Both of which are great neighborhoods that don't have the same type of hype as the ones constantly mentioned on this board. The neighborhood is an older and far more established than Stapleton and Lowry...so you get nice unique homes that feel distinct from each other, trees and a neighborhood with character. Lots of young families in the neighborhood and very safe. Comparable to Wash Park and Highlands in many ways...but without the sky-high prices. The two neighborhoods are close to downtown (on the east side) bordered by Colorado Blvd to the west, Colfax to the north, Quebec to the east and 6th Ave to the South.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:02 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
Mayfair/Montclair is a good suggestion. There are some nice deals there.

You're priced out of Platt Park, DU, Wash Park, etc. Highlands itself is beyond your reach, but the adjacent neighborhoods like Sloans Lake, you might be able to get a 1200-1300 sf place for that price.

Another possibility is Whittier or City Park West. Houses are a little cheaper on the north side of Colfax than on the south. Also look into Park Hill.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:25 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,362 times
Personally I like Lakewood. I grew up in the Green Mountain area and its 15 minutes to downtown, 15 minutes to the mountains. There are some very decent homes in the area for under 250K, and the yards are good-sized because its an older area. Good luck!

Old 07-23-2007, 04:23 PM

2 posts, read 7,061 times
Thank you all for your input. I'll be in Denver over the weekend and will check out the neighborhoods that you have suggested.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:59 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times
check out Belle Creek off of hiway 85 and 104th, we are currently having a house built there for 207k great neiborhood, great builder.

Belle Creek (http://www.bellecreek.com - broken link)

there is a charter school that is one of the top ranked in the state in the neiborhood. an icecream shop, and a small store. its within 15 min. from denver, and the rest of the front range via highway 85.

there are a few places in the denver area that have homes listed for around 250, just have to look
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: