Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 06:19 PM

81 posts, read 186,499 times

Advertisements

I'm new to downtown and walk a lot. Hardly any of the crosswalk lights work in CBD! I see people standing there confused, myself included, waiting for the "white walking man" light and you never get one to indicate its safe to walk. Then you just look in every direction and just decide to go for it. I cannot believe this hasn't been a huge call out by now for city safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 07:12 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,694 times
Um...I work downtown 5 days a week, on and off 16th St, and I haven't seen any problem with the crosswalk signals in the CBD. People do tend to walk against the signal if traffic is clear, but that's common in any major downtown area with medium to high pedestrian traffic. Perhaps you could clarify? Where did you experience this problem? Which intersection(s)? How frequently?

Old 03-10-2011, 07:51 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,101 times
Yeah, I walk downtown all the time. I've never noticed a problem with the cross-walk signs.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:24 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,133,674 times
I've never noticed a problem either. Is there confusion where someone's not used to those intersections where all the traffic lights turn red and all the little figures on the walk signs are white, and you can even cross diagonally?

Old 03-10-2011, 08:41 PM

148 posts, read 571,624 times
They're not as cool as San Jose crosswalks. That's the problem

Old 03-10-2011, 09:30 PM

19 posts, read 29,118 times
You can always tell if someone is new to downtown because they sit there a wait for the little white man to say go. Everyone just checks to see if the coast is clear and goes.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:35 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,665,045 times
Buffalobirdie, I'm sure the Denver Public Works Department would like a courtesy call to let them know if there are pedestrian crosswalk lights burned out. Then they can go repair them. Let them know the cross streets and which direction is the one burned out.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:42 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,729 times
The City announced last year, they will be getting rid of them.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:39 AM

Default Love Colorado - but Dept. of Transportation needs to get act together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Um...I work downtown 5 days a week, on and off 16th St, and I haven't seen any problem with the crosswalk signals in the CBD. People do tend to walk against the signal if traffic is clear, but that's common in any major downtown area with medium to high pedestrian traffic. Perhaps you could clarify? Where did you experience this problem? Which intersection(s)? How frequently?
A few from best of memory:
17th and Broadway (in front of Brown Palace Hotel)
17th and Glenarm
the intersection of California and 14th in front of Convention Center
14th and Glenarm
18th and ? at corner of City Park

Maybe the diagonal thing is what I'm missing? How does that work anyway? sorry, but I think that is just the dumbest idea. It stops all traffic from all directions and no one knows what to do.

Also - has anyone noticed the corner of Lincoln and 20th Ave/Street whatever... There are TWO Oneway signs on the same street facing each other! LOL. Also throw in that you have 20th street and 20th ave right there. Its like the Bermuda Triangle or something. I tried to take a photo but its hard to get both signs in the frame.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
I've never noticed a problem either. Is there confusion where someone's not used to those intersections where all the traffic lights turn red and all the little figures on the walk signs are white, and you can even cross diagonally?
No, there is no white man symbol - all directions are solid red hands:
17th and Glenarm
17th and Broadway (in front of Brown Palace Hotel)
14th and California (?) in front of Convention Center
Glenarm and 14th or 15th
18th and corner of City Park
...Just a few that I can remember off top of head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver