Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:19 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Lighten up. Not everyone finds it so difficult to support her/himself in a new place. Boatloads arrived on our shores with pennies in their pockets and did just fine.
Apparently you aren't familiar with the current economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 02:01 PM

93 posts, read 295,583 times
I dunno, I did it. plus your current location is set as Orange County, CA so things may be a little different in Cali where everything is more expensive.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:34 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KottkeKU View Post
I dunno, I did it. plus your current location is set as Orange County, CA so things may be a little different in Cali where everything is more expensive.
But the economy is bad just about everywhere and Colorado's unemployment just went up again. Even a $500/mo apartment gets expensive when you're hoping to find a job before the cash runs out.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:02 AM

6 posts, read 7,340 times
Thank you everyone for replying! I have heard back from a few jobs and have some perspective interviews. The apartment I found is only 750 with a roommate split so I think I will be able to handle that. I also dont have any waitressing/bartender experience but thats ok with me. I will look into the temp agencies around the area because that would hold me over if it came to that. Thanks again everyone! As for meeting people, I can be quiet and a bit shy but also have been known to be a social butterfly so I just hope for the best. I feel like making a big change with the right head on my shoulders is better than sitting in the same spot my whole life like a fly on the wall. So Im going for it!

Old 03-21-2011, 08:33 AM

156 posts, read 325,677 times
Dont worry about not having a job lined up... The economy is awful anywhere and you will constantly hear either A) Dont Come here without a job or B) Employers wont hire out of state workers.. So its a lose-lose situation. I currently live in an area in NYS where the unemployment rate is 10% and if you want to find a larger job market you need to drive at least 40mins to a bigger/major city (Erie, PA). Unemployment rates are just numbers, if you constantly focus on that you will put yourself in a bad spot and just have the mindset that if the unemployment rate is so high then theres no chance of you finding a job. No matter where you live you just need to network yourself with other people, you do that you make connections and line yourself up for getting some type of work. If you have enough cash saved up for the next 3-5mos you will be fine (especially now with the summer season starting there will be more hospitality jobs opening). If you can snag a job through a temp agency or wing a waitressing job (you dont really need experience, I have worked and helped manage restaurants for 10yrs. If you come to the interview with a smile, actually care about the job and wing some story about customer service you will be hired).

I plan on making the same move either before or after summer. Depends if I feel like working my seasonal job here in NY or if I get offered one of the park maintenance positions I applied for in Denver.

Blake Street is an awesome street to be on. Ive been in Denver 3 times in the last year. I always end up walking around that area. If you are into any of the sports venus there (rockies, broncos, avs, nuggets, etc) you will def meet friendly people. The first time I visited I went to a Rockies/Mets game and met a group of 10 people who invited me to the microbreweries with them. I thought that was really cool because you dont get that here in NY. Lots of microbreweries, bars, restaurants, sports venus, bike trails, parks, etc to meet people. You are picking a GREAT time to move, hope it all works out!

Old 03-21-2011, 09:41 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,243 times
Sunshine: I just meant to say that if you did have waitressing skills you could easily pick up a job. Office jobs are everywhere downtown, and I think if you have any admin skills you could get a job quickly. In Lodo, where you will be living, there are a lot of offices that hire part-time, if you don't want to work full-time. The temp agencies can hook you up with those jobs. Robert Half is a good one, they used to be in the Tabor Center - not sure if they still are.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:49 AM

156 posts, read 325,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverLawGal View Post
Sunshine: I just meant to say that if you did have waitressing skills you could easily pick up a job. Office jobs are everywhere downtown, and I think if you have any admin skills you could get a job quickly. In Lodo, where you will be living, there are a lot of offices that hire part-time, if you don't want to work full-time. The temp agencies can hook you up with those jobs. Robert Half is a good one, they used to be in the Tabor Center - not sure if they still are.
Thats good to know about office positions especially with Robert Half. I have a Criminal Justice BA degree but due to physical complications with myself I cant get into many police academies. I will have to see if they have any legal admin jobs I can get into

Old 03-21-2011, 11:44 AM

93 posts, read 295,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSarah View Post
I feel like making a big change with the right head on my shoulders is better than sitting in the same spot my whole life like a fly on the wall. So Im going for it!
I admire your sense of adventure. I felt the same way - was stuck in the same state my whole life, it was time for a much needed change. Best of luck on your move!

Old 03-21-2011, 12:52 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,243 times
There are tons of admin jobs within law enforcement. Robert Half specializes in all kinds of office jobs - but if you want law enforcement you'll have to go through the county/city/state.

There is a legal temp agency - I can't think of the name right now - but I believe they are in Lodo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan87 View Post
Thats good to know about office positions especially with Robert Half. I have a Criminal Justice BA degree but due to physical complications with myself I cant get into many police academies. I will have to see if they have any legal admin jobs I can get into

Old 03-21-2011, 01:25 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,610,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KottkeKU View Post
I admire your sense of adventure. I felt the same way - was stuck in the same state my whole life, it was time for a much needed change. Best of luck on your move!
Same here. I was 28 when I decided to just leave everything behind in California. Been here 12 years now and love it. As I was leaving San Diego my dad told me he wished he had this type of opportunity when he was younger. I got here and found a job in the IT world and I have been employed every since.

There is so much to do here. People from out of state have no idea what it is like here. I had coworkers tell me I would move back in 6 months because they think it is cold all winter long like Minnesota or Wisconsin. Not here. It is 75 today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver