Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:26 AM

785 posts, read 1,881,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
haha, yes, I mean DISagree!!

The link I gave you is from Metro Denver.org. I am opposed to using Wiki as a reliable source as anyone can add content to it. Although I find this from your own link:

Also included in the MSA defined by the United States Census Bureau are four rural counties that are not popularly considered part of the Denver metro area. Elbert County is on the southeastern prairie; Clear Creek, Gilpin, and Park counties are in the Rocky Mountains.
Well a. I can't see your link, which made your post confusing and b. if any definition exists which includes Fairplay in the Denver Metropolitan area, then I have a fair point. As I said before, it IS for stats purposes only and it's miles out from the continuous urban area, but the USCB do include it so that's the end of it. The fact that there is this special 'Metro Denver' definition is not really the norm. Most cities have their Census Bureau defined metro areas and sometimes combined statistical areas and that's it.

I agree that Park should not be in Metro Denver, but IT IS by the Census Bureau's definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 11:36 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,719,487 times
Sorry, I forgot to include the links. This is how Metro Denver defines the area:

Metro Denver Best City to Work & Live in USA

If you agree that Park should not be in Metro Denver, then what are we arguing about. I think we have officially gone round and round. Spin Doctor.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:46 AM

785 posts, read 1,881,864 times
Quote:
Sorry, I forgot to include the links. This is how Metro Denver defines the area:

Metro Denver Best City to Work & Live in USA

If you agree that Park should not be in Metro Denver, then what are we arguing about. I think we have officially gone round and round. Spin Doctor.
Oh yes, we have gone massively off topic. No, I do agree it shouldn't be part of it, but it is by one definition. I will let it go now, probably.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:47 AM

Good lord!

Old 03-17-2011, 12:37 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
What exactly is a "cow town". I dont' see any cows. I don't see cowboys on horses rounding up cattle. It's very rare to see anyone in a cowboy hat or boots in Denver (ousdide of the rodoe thing when rural people come to town to do whatever it is they do at a rodeo). When I think "cow town", I think Garden City, KS or Amarillo, TX. Those are "towns" surrounded by cows and are big beef industry towns. Denver is a cow-less, cowboy-less city.
I was wondering the same thing. What is a "cow town"? Aside from the National Western stock show which takes place for 2 weeks out of the year, I don't see cattle roaming around or cowboys walking around on our street. Sure, Denver has a western heritage (a very rich heritage indeed) but to call Denver a "cowtown" is ridiculous. This is a major metropolitan area of nearly 3 million people. I'm sure that many of kids growing up in the inner city have never even seen a cow.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-17-2011 at 12:57 PM..

Old 03-17-2011, 01:00 PM

229 posts, read 423,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
I was wondering the same thing. What is a "cow town"? Aside from the National Western stock show which takes place for 2 years out of the year, I don't see cattle roaming around or cowboys walking around on our street. Sure, Denver has a western heritage (a very rich heritage indeed) but to call Denver a "cowtown" is ridiculous. This is a major metropolitan area of nearly 3 million people. I'm sure that many of kids growing up in the inner city have never even seen a cow.

I guess maybe I wasn't very clear on that point when I wrote this. When I say "cow town" I don't literally mean cows and cowboys. Once upon a time that was perhaps more true, and outside the city you can still find that but I guess I mean still reminiscent of older values like it's stubborness to grow or people still being a bit shy or reserved compared to bigger cities. Also, it's a stark extreme to the word "cosmopolitan" but just another word I use interchangeably to mean "not as diverse." It's a bad habit, because growing up I always heard Denver referred to as such so I've continued to say it myself even though you are right, it's not really very "cow-ey", just not as diverse and big city oriented as some would want.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:30 PM

We have an inner city?!? LOL

So me and my friend just went to lunch, and we saw a bunch of biz men in suits wearing cowboy boots. 17th and Glenarm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
I was wondering the same thing. What is a "cow town"? Aside from the National Western stock show which takes place for 2 weeks out of the year, I don't see cattle roaming around or cowboys walking around on our street. Sure, Denver has a western heritage (a very rich heritage indeed) but to call Denver a "cowtown" is ridiculous. This is a major metropolitan area of nearly 3 million people. I'm sure that many of kids growing up in the inner city have never even seen a cow.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:32 PM

I hear ya co_guy, I really do. I think that the term is just not so as acceptable any longer. But from someone who grew up in a literal cowtown, I remember the term being very regular.

I also remember hearing it a lot from the out of town folks who moved into Colo. They usually did come from cosmopolitan or should I say, big cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co_guy_94 View Post
I guess maybe I wasn't very clear on that point when I wrote this. When I say "cow town" I don't literally mean cows and cowboys. Once upon a time that was perhaps more true, and outside the city you can still find that but I guess I mean still reminiscent of older values like it's stubborness to grow or people still being a bit shy or reserved compared to bigger cities. Also, it's a stark extreme to the word "cosmopolitan" but just another word I use interchangeably to mean "not as diverse." It's a bad habit, because growing up I always heard Denver referred to as such so I've continued to say it myself even though you are right, it's not really very "cow-ey", just not as diverse and big city oriented as some would want.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:23 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Respectfully disagree.

Come to Thornton. Cows abound. And cowboys riding horses on the street.

Also, for cowboy boots, visit the City & County of Denver Building, look for various small time lawyers. Look at their boots.
I worked in Thornton for 4 years an never saw a cow! Really? Horses and cowboys in the streets? Where are they going? Target? The Cracker Barrel? lol!

Actually, I know where there are cows in a part of the L.A. area. I don't think I've ever touched a cow, but I did ride the ponies at the zoo that go in a circle once.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:26 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
We have an inner city?!? LOL

So me and my friend just went to lunch, and we saw a bunch of biz men in suits wearing cowboy boots. 17th and Glenarm.
Maybe they were out of towners. I drive through downtown every day and no cowboys. No cows in Cap. Hill this afternoon either! Just a lot of city-slikers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver