Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 08:51 AM

45 posts, read 194,516 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at schools in the area of Highland's Ranch just on the chance that my husband gets a new job in Denver. Do they only offer half day kindergarten? How can that be? Can you get full day at a private school? My daughter is in 3 day a week full day preschool now and I can't imagine dropping her down to a half day program. My son had full day kindergarten and it was amazing what he learned and participated in.

Also, is there even a point at looking at Platte River Charter or is the chance of getting in next to nothing?

Any other advice on schools in that area would be very appreciated!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 09:57 AM

346 posts, read 1,566,875 times
I'm sure this won't be the response you'd like, but as an experienced teacher, I feel compelled to give my opinion regarding full-day kindergarten.

Kindergarten age children have limited attention spans, which means that the instruction and activities need to be changing every twenty minutes. This has been a known fact among educators and child psychologists for many years.

There also is a limited amount of information that a 4-5-year old can retain. Their brains simply cannot handle 5-6 hours of instruction, which is why the half-day has been in effect for so long. It is developmentally appropriate. After 3 hours of instruction, the child is mentally exhausted and begins to shut down.

The only full-day kindergarten program that makes any sense to me is one that incorporates lunch and a nap. Kids desperately need down-time, particularly at this age.

Kindergarten has become much more academic in the last 15 years. The curriculum is very similar to what used to be taught in first grade. The kids are being pushed too hard at a very young age, and I personally don't think there will be any long-term benefits to full-day kindergarten vs. half-day. In the child's upcoming school years, no one is going to say, "Wow, Johnny sure is ahead of the game. Good thing he went to that full-day kindergarten program!"

And finally, most districts that do offer full-day K do so only to accommodate working parents who want the "free baby-sitting." It has nothing to do with academics. It has everything to do with parent convenience and more money for the districts.

Time to climb off my soapbox...

Old 07-07-2008, 10:09 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
I completely agree with rebagirl. I am a pediatric nurse, and I concur with the developmental issues.

Our district had some scheme to have full-day, every other day, kindergarten when my youngest was entering K. The purpose was to save busing money. There was such objection from the parents, the schools dropped the plan. They kept the half-day, but only offered busing in the early morning and late afternoon. So the kindergarten parents had to transport their kids at mid-day. Parents and day care providers were willing to do that. Our district does offer kindergarten "enrichment", which is basicaly day care. It is on a fee for service plan. This is Boulder Valley SD, BTW.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:36 PM

4 posts, read 13,837 times
I'm on the east coast but may be moving to the Denver area. My daughter just finished full day kindergarten here and it was a very difficult year for her. She had done part time preschools the two years prior but had a difficult time emotionally being at school all day. I guess all kids and schools are different, though as you mentioned your son did well in full day kindergarten. If you think your daughter would thrive in full day, you should keep searching for such a program. As her mother, only you know best! Good luck figuring it out.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
I believe there is some kind of extended day program that you can pay for at HR schools. I have no idea what it costs, if it is offered at every school, or what the kids do during the second half of the day. You could look into it, though.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:07 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,055,772 times
Reba...I totally agree with you, and apparently so do many of my neighbors. Most of my son's kindergarten peers were six-years-old, not five, for the majority of the year. When I was a kid, I was in first grade at that age. Four and five-year-olds in my area are still attending pre-school!

Old 07-08-2008, 08:53 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Reba...I totally agree with you, and apparently so do many of my neighbors. Most of my son's kindergarten peers were six-years-old, not five, for the majority of the year. When I was a kid, I was in first grade at that age. Four and five-year-olds in my area are still attending pre-school!
With my son's birthday in July, I thought Kindergarten at 5 was a no-brainer (like when I was a kid), until I started talking with some K and 1st grade teachers from here and elsewhere. We decided to wait a year, so he'll be 6 his entire K year. I don't want him falling behind.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,552 times
I think you all are awful for trying to make this mother feel bad about wanting a full day kindergarten. I had full day when I was growing up as did my husband. He is a Engineer and I am a Psychologist and we promote Education in our home. You moms sound pathetic coddling your children, saying the schools "push them too hard" or that people just want "free babysitting"?!?! are you kidding me??? That's just mean to suggest that people are just trying to get rid of their kids, I don't want my daughter barely learning her alphabet at 6 years old when other children in first grade are starting basic arithmetic! I want my children to actually have a chance at the college of their choice and believe it or not people, it starts at Kindergarten! You're crippling your children academically and emotionally.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:16 AM

384 posts, read 508,084 times
SNIP for timeliness or lack thereof!

Last edited by step33; 12-16-2014 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: Didn't realize this was a 2008 thread!

Old 12-16-2014, 08:23 AM

387 posts, read 638,403 times
Y'all do realize this is a 6 year old thread, and the OP's child will probably start middle school next year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: