Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 07:28 PM

96 posts, read 180,323 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We've about had it with the SF Bay area COL and are looking to relocate from SF. We're looking for areas where we can find good job market for software engineers, decent schools with good SpEd and services (we have a son in K inclusion), as well as older homes with character and mature trees for ~500K or under. Is this possible in Denver/Denver-area? I love/miss winters and snow so places with seasonal weather hold a special place for me.

Thank you for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 09:45 PM

556 posts, read 1,200,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fata Morgana View Post
older homes with character and mature trees
This will be difficult in your price range. Maybe Englewood or Littleton? There are lots of cookie cutter suburbs that otherwise meet your criteria.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:33 AM

50 posts, read 52,962 times
Am I missing something? Unless the OP wants a mansion 500k will get them a very nice house almost anywhere in the metro area including Denver.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:02 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,947,622 times
Quote:
decent schools with good SpEd and services (we have a son in K inclusion), as well as older homes with character and mature trees for ~500K or under.
I would look around Teller, Palmer, and Park Hill Elementary. You won't find a lot of homes for that price and they will sell very quickly, but they are there.

Here is are some examples of sold homes for Teller, Palmer, and Park Hill.

I don't know if they are the right elementary school for you though. You would need to look at that yourself.

As far as software jobs, Most of the jobs are in Boulder, LoDo (downtown Denver), and sometimes Denver Tech Center. Commuting to the LoDo would be great from the above neighborhoods. Denver Tech Center would be doable but long. Boulder would be awful even by SF standards.

So, I'd fine my job(s) first and then move close to the job. There are great schools and homes in your price range near each of these places, but you might not get a house with a lot of character or mature trees.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:24 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,421,074 times
Look in mid- and western Centennial, close to the Denver Tech Center. Check out zipcodes 80111, 80112, 80121, 80122. The housing is older suburban with many mature trees. The neighborhood public schools are very good to excellent but I know nothing about SpEd services. Much of the housing is above your price range but there is some in the upper 400's.

Last edited by Gorges; 03-06-2016 at 07:47 AM..

Old 03-06-2016, 07:37 AM

618 posts, read 1,366,762 times
A few great parts of Denver proper can be had for under $500K, including Park Hill, Virginia Village, Mayfair, etc. In the suburbs, the area near Downtown Littleton is worth a look, as well as Wheat Ridge.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:42 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,393,460 times
Quote:
older homes with character and mature trees for ~500K or under.
What era constitutes older? That will determine if $500k is achievable. A reasonably large tree is going to need be at least 30-40 years old, so are 1970s era post modern raised ranches considered older or are you after eras older than that?

Old 03-06-2016, 11:18 AM

214 posts, read 260,383 times
I would contact a local real estate agent. They probably have a better idea of what's for sale where. There aren't many homes for sale in Denver right now and there are still a ton of people moving here to take high paying jobs in the tech industry.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:27 AM

96 posts, read 180,323 times
Thank you for all your suggestions! I've been so overwhelmed trying to research areas and now at least have some starting point with which to look further. Too many criteria to check into and my brain is already fried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
As far as software jobs, Most of the jobs are in Boulder, LoDo (downtown Denver), and sometimes Denver Tech Center. Commuting to the LoDo would be great from the above neighborhoods. Denver Tech Center would be doable but long. Boulder would be awful even by SF standards.
Are the majority of tech companies/jobs are in or around Boulder for the most part? And if so, is there an area closer to there I should put on our list (I know I should prob ask on the Boulder forum)? I checked out prices in Boulder proper and was astonished. They are Bay Area expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
What era constitutes older? That will determine if $500k is achievable. A reasonably large tree is going to need be at least 30-40 years old, so are 1970s era post modern raised ranches considered older or are you after eras older than that?
Honestly, there is such a dearth of tree lined streets in SF that I'm a bit desperate for that (as well as snow and thunderstorms -- grew up with all three and miss them). I could compromise on type of house as long as it wasn't a super cookie cutter, Stepford type area and had trees. Or, on the other hand, I love the one below (but for all I know it could be in a sketchy area with horrible schools) and could deal with lack of trees for a house like this:

2651 N York St, Denver, CO 80205 | Zillow

But yes, I could go along with a Brady Bunch house if it had some large trees.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:55 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,421,074 times
Quote:
T Or, on the other hand, I love the one below (but for all I know it could be in a sketchy area with horrible schools) and could deal with lack of trees for a house like this:

2651 N York St, Denver, CO 80205 | Zillow

But yes, I could go along with a Brady Bunch house if it had some large trees.
You do realize that Denver is a high desert, right? You're not going to find east-coast or mid-west trees here.

As for the schools, on that Zillow link you posted, scroll down and you can see a GreatSchools rating for the house. It's not the only thing you should look at, but it will give you an idea of whether you might be happy with the neighborhood schools or will have to look for a charter/private.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver