Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 11:11 PM

337 posts, read 663,359 times

Advertisements

Need info on what health changes my wife and I can expect to experience now that we relocated to Denver area from back East? We expected the shortness of breath, but what we didn't expect was the total and absolute onslaught on our body we've been having over the past few days.
Sure we both knew we'd get some form of car/jet lag from almost 1700 mile road trip, but since arriving we both have been having visual issues, abdominal cramping, headaches, diarrhea, nausea vomitting, and ungodly amounts of fatigue.

What her family who have lived here for some years now also from back East have told us is that it's ALTITUDE SICKNESS, which I thought would only happen at extreme heights?

Anyways just wanting to know if these things are normal for those relocating from sea level to a mile up and how long should we expect them to continue?

Thanks for any help you guys can give

Sincerely The Ryan Family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 11:18 PM

34 posts, read 96,366 times
Do you have a carbon monoxide monitor? Seriously, Denver is not the peaks.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:24 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
I'm sorry you're getting altitude sickness. I don't think it's normal to get it when moving to Denver, but it's not unheard of. Are you guys smokers? Smokers get altitude sickness much easier. I might go to the doctor to make sure it's not something else though. Perhaps take the previous poster's advice and go buy a carbon monoxide detector to make sure your house isn't trying to kill you.

If it is altitude sickness, you'll acclimate and it'll go away, but it could take a week or two (full acclimation to altitude can take up to 6 months - especially if you're a smoker). If you continue to have symptoms, the best treatment is oxygen. You might be able to buy some cheap oxygen canisters at Target or Walmart (I know you can get them online - not sure if they stock them in the stores). Also, make sure to stay well hydrated.

As to other heath effects of living here, it's a dry climate. Invest in some lotion. Also, you might get bloody noses (have you noticed your snot is harder here?). Also, we're closer to the sun, so Colorado has higher rates of skin cancer than the rest of the country. Wear sunscreen (especially when in the mountains, and especially when in the mountains in the winter).

Old 04-06-2011, 08:50 AM

670 posts, read 1,172,114 times
Wow. Very sorry that you and your family are suffering so much. I've never heard of anyone going through that for so long after moving here. Seems excessive and is definitely not "normal". Have you seen a doctor? You really should go to one if you haven't at this point.
KCtoDenver has a very good point... your symptoms sound like carbon monoxide poisoning: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Symptoms on eMedicineHealth

Old 04-06-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I'm sorry you're getting altitude sickness. I don't think it's normal to get it when moving to Denver, but it's not unheard of. Are you guys smokers? Smokers get altitude sickness much easier. I might go to the doctor to make sure it's not something else though. Perhaps take the previous poster's advice and go buy a carbon monoxide detector to make sure your house isn't trying to kill you.

If it is altitude sickness, you'll acclimate and it'll go away, but it could take a week or two (full acclimation to altitude can take up to 6 months - especially if you're a smoker). If you continue to have symptoms, the best treatment is oxygen. You might be able to buy some cheap oxygen canisters at Target or Walmart (I know you can get them online - not sure if they stock them in the stores). Also, make sure to stay well hydrated.

As to other heath effects of living here, it's a dry climate. Invest in some lotion. Also, you might get bloody noses (have you noticed your snot is harder here?). Also, we're closer to the sun, so Colorado has higher rates of skin cancer than the rest of the country. Wear sunscreen (especially when in the mountains, and especially when in the mountains in the winter).
No were pretty healthy no drinking or smoking, but while we expected the dry skin and dehydration we never expected to get this kind of out of wack though!
Most have told us it will all subside in a couple weeks.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
Wow. Very sorry that you and your family are suffering so much. I've never heard of anyone going through that for so long after moving here. Seems excessive and is definitely not "normal". Have you seen a doctor? You really should go to one if you haven't at this point.
KCtoDenver has a very good point... your symptoms sound like carbon monoxide poisoning: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Symptoms on eMedicineHealth
No we've only been here a few days, it's the wifes family that's been here for years. Most have told us things should get straight in a few weeks.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:21 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,998,731 times
Sounds like something more than normal altitude stuff. I moved from FL and everyone who has flown up here that I've taken hiking usually 7-9000 ft has been fine. The only thing I've heard from them is just some headaches, but nothing worse than that

Old 04-06-2011, 01:28 PM

118 posts, read 403,400 times
Sounds like the stomach flu to me. Stop at some truck stop on your trip and order the chili-cheese nachos?

Old 04-06-2011, 02:44 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
I moved from sea level and I have never had any problems. That being said when I visit my sea level home town I can drink a heck of a lot more.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:32 PM

331 posts, read 989,837 times
You're allergic to Colorado. Don't worry; I am too... I just got over my 4th bout of strep throat in less than a year. Worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: