Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 03:10 PM

531 posts, read 1,146,211 times

Advertisements

My CL renting fraud prevention:

- Get the potential landlord's full name and address as well as the name of the company they might be operating under.
- Check the county assessor's property records online to verify the owner.
- If operating under a business name, verify with the Secretary of State's online records that the company is registered and legit.

If that passes, I pretty much assume it to be a legit operation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 04:07 PM

116 posts, read 338,997 times
Default Homes listed on Craigslist

Hi. I have a question, been looking in the forums and could not really find what I was looking for. We may be headed to Denver and I have been looking at Craigslist in the homes for rent section. There seems to be plenty for rent but one thing I see pop up quite a lot are homes that say they are rent-to-own, usually for a pretty decent rental price. Other are straight rentals but very little info, just a craigslist email and some photos.

What I am wondering is how many of these posts are for real and how many are the dreaded CL housing scam? We are a professional family of 4 with pets so. I do find some that peek my interest but some fall into one of the categories mentioned above and I figured some of the good folks here are either landlords or are aware of scamming being bad in that area.

Also, any landlords who have advertised on CL or somewhere else who have property available, I would be interested in hearing from you if you have property available, looking for 3 br, not so much concerned as to the area atm as we just want to rent for a year roughly until we would sale our house and learn the area. Commutes are not a big deal nor is traffic (lived in ATlanta where at 12-14 mile commute took over an hour one way!) Anyway thanks in advance.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:16 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Craigslist is great for selling small things like camping lanterns and used clothes but when it comes to big-ticket items like cars and rentals I personally would look for a better alternative.

The NAR website has an MLS portal on it, and you can search for rentals there.

Denver Homes for Rent and Houses for Rent - Denver, CO Rentals from - Realtor.com®

Last edited by bluescreen73; 04-18-2012 at 04:24 PM..

Old 04-18-2012, 04:45 PM

98 posts, read 350,022 times
In my experience if the craiglist ad has no phone number and just a short one or two sentence description that doesnt give you any real info, its a scam. Usually they will include the address, google it and 90% of the time you'll find it listed as a home for sale. If its too good to be true, it probably is (ie a gorgeous home for $600 a month).

Old 04-18-2012, 06:28 PM
WiW WiW started this thread

167 posts, read 577,789 times
This thread will give you other sites to check.
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...e-rentals.html

When we were looking around this time last year, we found craigslist was the most comprehensive listing service. I wouldn't ever rent without seeing the property, meeting the owner (or a certified REALTOR) and checking credentials like a driver's license of the owner. Use checks, not cash.

You can find the owner of a property here:
Applications

You can verify a realtor's license status here:
Colorado Division of Real Estate Home Page

All the best.
c.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:26 PM

116 posts, read 338,997 times
thanks all and for the move into a good thread. not sure why I didn't fid this thread originally! Good info appreciate it all!

Old 04-19-2012, 11:48 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I encountered a few scams when I was looking for a rental, but a lot of the ads are placed by professional real estate people, in addition to individual owners. If someone says they are going out of the country or will have to mail you the key, run - don't walk - away.
Lol. This is not necessarily a scam. I found and rented our first apartment in Sunnyvale from a craiglist ad without meeting the owner and without seeing the apartment first (we were living in Grand Junction, CO, at the time). The owner was a Chinese Google engineer who was going out of the country for six weeks. We sublet his apartment for a month and had no problems whatsoever.

To answer the original question of this thread, I would recommend using an escrow service for your security deposit, or some type of service like Paypal which offers Buyers Protection and will refund your money if things don't work out.

In addition to that, I would do basic and rudimentary investigation to make sure that the person placing the ad is who they say they are and have the authority to rent their place. You don't have to get complicated with this. Just place a few phone calls to their neighbors and their employer. Anybody who is not a "friend" and can provide unbiased verification. Google their name and address. Simple stuff to establish validity.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:13 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
For one thing, I wouldn't see the property by myself, I'd get a friend to come along. I'd also ask who is responsible for things like paying the bills and utilities incl trash pick-up, can the tenant make any cosmetic changes like painting or putting up shelves, what about pets and/or visitors?

Old 04-21-2012, 11:55 AM

232 posts, read 805,123 times
Finding private rentals on CL sucks in Denver. I've lived in many other cities and found private renters through CL. But in Denver, over half of the CL listings you click on turn out to be mass listings by apartment complexes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver