Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 05:14 PM

353 posts, read 1,706,235 times

Advertisements

I have been reading all over these postings to stay away from Mississippi and Colfax ave. Can anyone explain why this area is so undesirable? Is it full of blight, crime and drug dealers? I would appreciate some clarification. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 05:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I'm not sure I understand. Mississippi and Colfax are parallel to each other and some distance apart. Colfax is the nation's longest Avenue (so I have heard). It starts out east in Aurora and goes to Golden. Some parts are a bit sketch, some not. I don't know a lot about Mississippi.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:53 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
As pittnurse says, Colfax and Mississippi don't intersect.

Colfax's reputation is well known. Playboy called it "the longest, wickedest street in America." South Park lampoons it as full of gangbangers and prostitutes. Most of the issues stem from the fact that there are many run-down 1950s motels along the entire stretch of road, since this was at one point the main entry point into the Denver area heading to the Rockies. Since interstate highways bypassed Colfax, many of the old motels by the 1970s declined and had attracted various types of crime, drugs, prostitution, as well as providing a place for the homeless to live.

Colfax today has cleaned up pretty well in spots, though in no place is it really the most glamorous part of the metro area. "East Colfax" near downtown Denver is downright respectable and hip, now, running just north of the Capitol Hill neighborhood and skirting the south end of downtown. However, the part of East Colfax closer to the 1970s/1980s stereotypes of guns, drugs, and prostitution is the part of it in Aurora, starting roughly at the Denver border at Yosemite and heading east.

As for Mississippi, it's a major arterial in the central part of Aurora, and given that city's bad reputation, that may be the source of it's own reputation. However, I don't really see Mississippi itself as any better or worse than the parts of Aurora it goes through. Mississippi in Denver isn't really a main road and mostly runs through neighborhoods, before breaking completely in Wash Park. It picks up again through Southwest Denver and Lakewood, before disappearing completely into the a suburban neighborhood. So, I'm guessing that whoever was bashing Mississippi is probably just bashing the Central part of Aurora generally.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:26 PM

353 posts, read 1,706,235 times
Thank you for the info. I see Aurora has a bad rap, and it is seems to be mostly unfounded. A lot of people probably generalize "bad areas" because they are not near the mountains

Old 10-10-2007, 08:26 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
Thank you for the info. I see Aurora has a bad rap, and it is seems to be mostly unfounded. A lot of people probably generalize "bad areas" because they are not near the mountains
Also remember that "bad area" depends on who's talking about it. Colfax through Aurora isn't Cherry Hills Village, but its not Gary, IN or East St. Louis, IL either.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:49 PM

91 posts, read 340,102 times
Default colfax arts district

The part of Colfax that runs from Yosemite to highway 225 is not all bad. I really think the Martin Luther King Library next to the Fox theatre is a beautiful structure. Plus there are alot of cool old buildings surrounding the library that give the area a lot of potential. The city of Aurora has been laboring to make this an arts district. I really hope they succeed, but my gut feeling is that a city cannot impose their vision on an area and magically make it an "art's district." However, props to Aurora for trying to do something positive.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:17 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
I live just off Mississippi in Aurora. It's laughable that somebody would say any stretch of Mississippi is a place to avoid. Why don't people just come out and say what they mean, and admit it's "bad" because it's not upper-middle class suburbia? (Even though some of Mississippi in far eastern Aurora is) Think stoplights and strip-malls colonized in the late 70's-early 80's. Nothing bad can be said about Mississippi in Lakewood, but in Denver it goes through SW Denver, which is "considered" a "bad" area.

There is some blight on Colfax, but it mostly is in Aurora near the new hospitals; and it is being cleaned up. Some may refer to the area east of Yosemite as blighted, because the businesses in the area are geared more toward lower-income folks and Spanish speakers, the same can be said for Colfax west of I-25. The only thing I find undesirable about the area east of Yosemite is the complete disregard pedestrians have for motorists. Other parts of Colfax may have more "crime" and "drug dealers", but it is definitely because it is a more densely populated area. Colfax, west of Denver, through Lakewood is a regular suburban boulevard.

To be real, for a second, I think a lot of the negative comments about Colfax and Mississippi (or Aurora in general or even SW Denver), stem from some closet racism. Some people may say these areas are bad, simply because there are more Blacks, Hispanics, and even Asians that live along or off these roads. It's sad that in 2008, I have to be saying this but I feel this is indeed the case.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 30,923 times
Default Colfax

East colfax by the capital/ Broadway area may seem hip during the day, but everytime I walk there after dark, near grant and sherman down to washington, at least 4 or 5 people try to sell me crack, sometimes heroin, even when I'm wearing a suit and tie. And the last two times I was in aurora, there were shootings within 20 blocks of me.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:21 PM

109 posts, read 278,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyguypi View Post
East colfax by the capital/ Broadway area may seem hip during the day, but everytime I walk there after dark, near grant and sherman down to washington, at least 4 or 5 people try to sell me crack, sometimes heroin, even when I'm wearing a suit and tie. And the last two times I was in aurora, there were shootings within 20 blocks of me.
I have encountered stabbings on east colfax and even walked right by a dupster I later learned had a dead body. All this happened in the day. Overall east colfax is walkable and even rather nice during the day. Night is a different story. The same goes for pretty much all of Denver's "dangerous" neighboorhoods like north Aurora, "montghetto", park hill etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver