Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 06:55 PM

5 posts, read 16,611 times

Advertisements

Hello. My husband and I want to get out of LA with our two children and live in a mountain community.
It will be necessary for me to commute to some area of Denver for my work (exactly where depends on where I get a job).
We plan a trip to Denver in October.
From what we've seen on line, we seem to like areas of Evergreen, Golden, Conifer and possibly Littleton. Of course, it will be easier to tell once we see these areas.
The maximum commute I can handle is approx. 45 minutes, but I would like it shorter.
I hope someone here can tell me if the areas I mentioned are close enough to commute to Denver in my maximum time frame or what other areas we should consider.
Also, are there any web sites I can look at that show photos of the actual town areas of the cities I mentioned?
We have two children, one is almost school age, so that's a concern too.
Lastly, is there a light rail (or one in planning) from Denver to any of the cities I mentioned above?
Thanks in advance for advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2006, 09:27 PM

32 posts, read 200,068 times
We are moving from AZ to Co..looking into Highlands Ranch which is next to Littleton. I know there is a light rail connecting to the Littleton area to be completed very soon. I have a friend who grew up in Evergreen and she loved it..but it is more isolated and I think she mentioned that when it snows, it is harder to get the roads cleared to get out compared to the cities closer to Denver..Hopefully, those that already live in CO can help you out a bit more. Good luck! I loved it there..although I love San Diego..but of course CO is much more affordable!!

Old 08-28-2006, 10:44 PM

11,811 posts, read 34,265,174 times
light rail is open on the sw side of town to central denver. Opens mid november this year on the SE side. 2012 to Golden.

Denver covers a wide area, are you talking about working downtown?

Old 08-29-2006, 05:19 PM

thanks for info...yes, I'll be commuting to downtown area.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:36 PM

www.rtd-denver.com is the public transportation website. Unless parking comes with the job it's bett to take light rail for $100 a month. Look on the south side of Denver. Not mountains, but you can see them and go visit often.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:38 PM

thank you for the info. I think I will have parking but I prefer public transportation. Please elaborate on "south side of denver" with some area names...I'm not very familiar yet. We're looking for a small town atmosphere, hopefully good sized property and house.
If light rail is coming to Golden in 2012, do you think it may be a good investment now? Seems like values will definitely increase if the town is more accessable thru public transportation.
What about Conifer? Is it just too far to commute to downtown denver? Most of the properties I have like best are there. Thanks again for all the info...

Old 08-30-2006, 01:11 AM

an hour or more to downtown from conifer & you will be snowed in...or out depending on the storm each year for a day or three.

small towns on the south end littleton in arapahoe county, lone tree, parker, maybe centennial.

golden is a great town, surronded by foothills, home to Coors brewery, fabulous old western town. 30-50 minutes depending on traffic.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:43 PM

THANK YOU for the information! I will check out these towns. One last question, what about Evergreen? Too far?

Old 09-05-2006, 12:00 AM

61 posts, read 376,890 times
I think we all would love in a mountain town, but we have to have jobs and it is not practical. That said, I know folks who drive from Conifer, Evergreen, and Bailey every day, but I couldn't deal with it. There are only 2 ways to go west into the foothills: I-70 or 285 and everyone has to go down them. I think Golden is a very good choice, so is Morrison, and the extreme west end of Lakewood, nearest C-470 near Green Mountain. Price range will dictate some of these choices.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:23 AM

18 posts, read 96,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todenver View Post
One last question, what about Evergreen? Too far?
A buddy of mine used to make that commute everyday and have no problem with it, took him on average, about 30-40 minutes (I-70 to 6th Avenue).

Coming from L.A. (where i grew up), that is a short commute, so you will prolly be ok.

Evergreen is absolutely beautiful and I considered moving up there many times, but opted for Parker instead. Every once in awhile, the commute may suck, but coming home to such a beautiful area might make it worth while.

Also, if you are a golfer, there is a killer course in Everygreen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver