U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 04:26 PM

10 posts, read 30,720 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I think I've read at least 100 threads but stil have some questions I'm hoping some of you can help me with. Our family is relocating to Colorado from Seattle. I am a stay at home mom/RN who will probably look for work in a few years. My husband does cardiac and vascular ultrasound and is currently looking for a job. He is willing to commute/bike longer distances to live in an area we love. We plan to rent for 6-12 months and then hope to buy. We would like to find an area that we love to avoid making my daughter switch schools again.

I'm looking for recommendations on great neighborhoods, towns or cities in or around Denver or Boulder. One area we are considering is somewhere in or near the Highlands. Unfortunately, a lot of the houses seem very
close together and have small yards and some of the schools are iffy. I like the mom/community feel and the funkyness of the area though.

We are also looking at Louisville outside of Boulder but aren't sure if it's quite right for us either. Boulder itself is too pricey. We are open to considering other areas.

We would like good schools, a decent size yard, affordable housing (pref under 400-450k) and like established neighborhoods with older trees as opposed to new developments. I would like to be in a liberal area that is not too small, has some diversity, not super religious and has a decent number of families who are into some degree of natural parenting. Walkability is a plus as is a good number of small, independent
restaurants and stores and easy accessability to natural food stores.

If anyone is familar with these areas or anything else comes to mind, I would love to hear from you! Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 06:31 PM

121 posts, read 299,157 times
We moved here in August and I actually liked Louisville and Lafayette but it's because I like the small town feel with the small downtown shops. It feels more like where I am from :-)

There is a subdivision off of 120th inbetween Federal and Sheridan called Bradburn. The schools are excellent. We live there at the moment and it's very safe and very clean. Never had any issues since we moved here. Kids EVERYWHERE and to prove it we have two buses picking up the kids to go to Cotton Creek Elementary :-) My son goes to Legacy which I have been told is a JACKPOT school! One of the best high schools around here that people try to get into.

I researched the schools on the School Boards websites as to scores and such and that helped determine where we would live. We feel in love with Bradburn and it just clicked for us. Hope all goes well with you guys!

(FYI- Highlands Ranch is in the total opposite direction of where we are so I wouldn't actually compare the two)

Old 04-27-2011, 07:04 PM

Thanks for replying. Are you talking about Bradburn in Westminster? I have heard it's great for families and tons of kids. I've also heard the yards tend to be on the smaller side. Is this true? Is it a newer development or are there large trees?

Also, have you found much in the way of natural parenting (any/all of the following: midwife births, nursing past a year, cloth diapers...) or is it a more traditional parenting style?

In my original post, I am referring to the Highlands in Denver (Highland, Berkeley, Sunnyside...), not Highlands Ranch. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:28 PM

305 posts, read 733,335 times
Hi bdima002,

You may like the Park Hill neighborhood in Denver. It is centrally located, liberal, progressive, established, walkable, very diverse, tree-lined, and full of charm and character. It also has small independent businesses mixed in among the residential streets.

Homes are mostly bungalows and craftsman style from the 1920s to the 1950s. Lots are not large, but some residents have yards so beautiful the community sponsors an annual garden tour. There are many houses on the market there under $450k.

You'll have to do your own research on the neighborhood schools and decide if they will meet your needs, but we were happy with Park Hill Elementary when our son attended there several years ago.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:20 PM

697 posts, read 1,946,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdima002 View Post
Thanks for replying. Are you talking about Bradburn in Westminster? I have heard it's great for families and tons of kids. I've also heard the yards tend to be on the smaller side. Is this true? Is it a newer development or are there large trees?

Also, have you found much in the way of natural parenting (any/all of the following: midwife births, nursing past a year, cloth diapers...) or is it a more traditional parenting style?
Hi, I live in Bradburn (indeed in Westminster on 120th ave between Federal and Sheridan) so can address some of these questions.

Yes, the yards are smaller in Bradburn than a traditional subdivision, some yards are larger and some are much, much smaller, they range quite a bit but none are as large as a traditional large lot subdivision (9,000 sq feet or more). There is a design reason for this.

Bradburn is a walkable neighborhood and part of being walkable is not having such large distances between the homes, especially front yards which are very unwelcoming to the street. I am a hardcore gardener but even on my tiny lot I still have plenty of room to grow tons of flowers and veggies (we also have a community garden if you want more room). Not having a large yard also means that I don't spend my weekends maintaining it and I save a ton of money and resources not pouring water on a bluegrass lawn not suited to the semi-arid climate of Colorado.

Bradburn is a new development, there is still new construction going on but the residential portion is about 3/4 complete, the oldest houses were built in 2002/2003. The trees are small, we do not have big trees yet. But we do have 9 very nice pocket parks, many filled with flowers as well as the Dry Creek Open space which borders us to the south and has miles of trails for hiking/biking.

As to natural parenting, yes, there are quite a lot of moms in here that use midwives (one neighbor who recently gave birth had a doula who was with her for 56 HOURS of labor), cloth diapering, and breastfeeding. Many are also very into organic/local produce (many people go in on organic garden shares with local farms). Sprouts organic grocer is a 10-15 minute walk from every house in Bradburn. As are about 15 restaurants, 3 bars, shops, and services such as our great local dentist and Yoga place.

As PRenee mentioned our home schools are excellent and the neighborhood is filled with kids and super, super social. We have tons of neighborhood events and you will know your neighbors here. If you don't however, ever want to talk to or see your neighbors, it would not be a good fit. Sense of community is very important here.

You mentioned religion as a concern. There is a church in the neighborhood which some neighbors attend (in fact the pastor lives in Bradburn and is super nice) but overall I would say religion in Bradburn is a non-issue. People don't talk about it and it's never caused any problems that I know of. My family is atheist as are many of my neighbors and we've never had any problems. Most, if not all, of the Denver metro and Boulder area is very live and let live in that department.

The Highlands is a great neighborhood, I love it, but as you've noticed, the schools are not the best. Many of my neighbors here in Bradburn moved from the Highlands because it has some of the main positives (fun architecture, walkability, mixed-use) but also with great public schools.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:51 PM

Thank you to you both. Very helpful. Boy, I'm going to have some serious ground to cover on this next trip out!

Old 04-28-2011, 08:26 AM

697 posts, read 1,946,959 times
Please feel free to send me a private message if you have other Bradburn questions. If you visit, talk to people you see walking around the neighborhood, everyone is very friendly and can give you their opinion of the neighborhood. Also, if you are here at lunchtime, Ted's Montana Grill and Zen Asian Bistro in our downtown are both excellent.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:40 PM

61 posts, read 106,546 times
Stapleton is a great area also.To rent or buy..I'm also from Seattle but live here in Stapleton.They are building a brand new school right down the street that looks beautiful.
You also have everything in this community.Very kid and dog friendly.Good luck with your search

Old 04-28-2011, 05:42 PM

61 posts, read 106,546 times
[quote=bdima002;18919905]Thanks for replying. Are you talking about Bradburn in Westminster? I have heard it's great for families and tons of kids. I've also heard the yards tend to be on the smaller side. Is this true? Is it a newer development or are there large trees?

In my original post, I am referring to the Highlands in Denver (Highland, Berkeley, Sunnyside...), not Highlands Ranch. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.[/quote

Highlands area is VERY nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver