U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-16-2011, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Edgewater, CO
531 posts, read 993,112 times
Reputation: 642

Advertisements

Girl and I are looking at moving into a house in North Park Hill, just south of MLK Blvd. on Holly St.

Anyone have any insight or info on the area?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-16-2011, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 24,574,040 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMike View Post
Girl and I are looking at moving into a house in North Park Hill, just south of MLK Blvd. on Holly St.

Anyone have any insight or info on the area?
I drive by there a lot and have never seen anything unusual about the area. Seems to be reasonably well-kept. Maybe check out crime stats for the area, but I don't hear about much going on in the area.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 10:40 AM
 
14,331 posts, read 15,471,035 times
Reputation: 42624
I live right about there on Forest St. I like it. Neighborhood seems safe, many things conveniently located. Has a nice diverse mix of people. Might want to check out how close you are to schools and such. I've got some distance from them, which is a good thing in my book as I work from home and don't have kids.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 10:56 AM
 
431 posts, read 1,133,262 times
Reputation: 273
Generally if you see bars on windows you know you are in a rough neighborhood. There are many homes with bars on the windows in that area. Pretty sure it used to be a lot worse but still shady in some parts, and there is a gang presence there. I'd be interested to hear some more opinions as I'm interested in the Skyland neighborhood adjacent to North Park Hill.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Golden, CO
2,257 posts, read 6,036,200 times
Reputation: 2262
I looked at houses in that area and decided it wasn't for me. Too many houses with bars on the windows, etc., but it might not be a big deal for you. I'd check on the crime stats, too, just to be aware before you make a decision on the house.

Note: The crime stats are odd in the sense that they count traffic incidents, too, so crime for my neighborhood (Virginia Vale) looks artificially high because of traffic accidents at Monaco and Leetsdale.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Edgewater, CO
531 posts, read 993,112 times
Reputation: 642
Interesting differing opinions.

From my perusal through the area, doesn't seem to be rough at all. Crime stats don't show it to be too terrible. There aren't any bars on the windows on the block we're looking at renting on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I live right about there on Forest St. I like it. Neighborhood seems safe, many things conveniently located. Has a nice diverse mix of people. Might want to check out how close you are to schools and such. I've got some distance from them, which is a good thing in my book as I work from home and don't have kids.
Glad to hear from someone in the area. Schools aren't a big deal right now. We're just renting the place and have no kids yet. Otherwise, glad to hear your experience is of a safe neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I looked at houses in that area and decided it wasn't for me. Too many houses with bars on the windows, etc., but it might not be a big deal for you. I'd check on the crime stats, too, just to be aware before you make a decision on the house.

Note: The crime stats are odd in the sense that they count traffic incidents, too, so crime for my neighborhood (Virginia Vale) looks artificially high because of traffic accidents at Monaco and Leetsdale.
Those crime stats are interesting indeed. Just what the heck is a "White Collar Crime"?

From those stats, a lot of the crime seems to be north of MLK blvd. South of MLK blvd, and the crime lessens. In general, the further to the north, the higher the crime.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,707 posts, read 26,371,458 times
Reputation: 13867
I'm not a big fan. The area is livable, but it's not the place I'd choose if I had a choice.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,139 posts, read 9,581,838 times
Reputation: 7758
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthXSW View Post
Generally if you see bars on windows you know you are in a rough neighborhood. There are many homes with bars on the windows in that area. Pretty sure it used to be a lot worse but still shady in some parts, and there is a gang presence there. I'd be interested to hear some more opinions as I'm interested in the Skyland neighborhood adjacent to North Park Hill.
I agree about bars on windows. Bars on windows are always a last resort. People do that only after they have been burglarized multiple times. But one problem with that is that people don't always remove the bars from their windows, when there is no longer a problem. Some of these bars could have been put there 20, 30, 40 years ago. Just sayin.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 04:52 PM
 
14,331 posts, read 15,471,035 times
Reputation: 42624
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I agree about bars on windows. Bars on windows are always a last resort. People do that only after they have been burglarized multiple times. But one problem with that is that people don't always remove the bars from their windows, when there is no longer a problem. Some of these bars could have been put there 20, 30, 40 years ago. Just sayin.
I'm renting, and the bars on my windows have clearly been there for a long time - I've actually got the only house with them in my immediate vicinity.

Keep in mind I also moved here from NJ, and I grew up near Trenton, where I was used to reading about violent crimes on pretty much a daily basis in the local paper. And my childhood home was actually in a fairly rural setting (about 10 miles away from the city limits), but it was broken into jevery couple of years or so by drug addicts until we got an alarm.

So I guess I might have a different opinion of "safe" than some. Two blocks over and my current neighborhood turns into downright upscale though.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2011, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 24,574,040 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I agree about bars on windows. Bars on windows are always a last resort. People do that only after they have been burglarized multiple times. But one problem with that is that people don't always remove the bars from their windows, when there is no longer a problem. Some of these bars could have been put there 20, 30, 40 years ago. Just sayin.
Yeah, I drive by a house at the corner of 23rd and Syracuse all the time that has bars on the windows. It's right across the street from Stapleton and really, I can't imagine that these days they would need bars on the windows.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top