Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 07:24 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenah33 View Post
Can someone recommend a web site to use to serach available houses for sale? Actually I don't know if that is allowed or not, so if not just disregard. Also can anyone recommend specific school districts that are great (or even districts to avoid for that matter)? Thanks!
recolorado.com
cohomefinder.com

We've been in three school districts.

1. Cherry Creek Schools. Our experience was "meh", but a lot of people here swear by them.

2. Aurora Public Schools. Our experience was horrid, but a lot of people also feel they are horrid.

3. Denver Public Schools. Our experience has been positive, as we really like our neighborhood school. Many people think DPS is generally mediocre at best, but general consensus is also that there are a few good apples in the bunch.

It's almost impossible that a house fitting your requirements would be in APS or DPS, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 08:14 AM

698 posts, read 2,046,591 times
There are no "bad" school districts in Denver. Our school districts are huge, and there is a great deal of variability both between schools within a district and between schools in different districts. You need to focus on specific neighborhood schools. If suburban is more your thing, here's a few places to start looking. South of Denver (I mean downtown Denver), have a look in Highlands Ranch. North of Denver, look at Broomfield--specifically Anthem Highlands, McKay Landing, and the Broadlands.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:32 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,012,142 times
realtor.com

Old 05-19-2011, 10:42 AM

7 posts, read 20,760 times
Smile Me too, me too!

I really appreciate all the responses so far - my family is considering a move in the future as well, and I have a few specifics I'd like to ask about to any willing responders? If we move there, my husband and I would probably both work at hospitals. I would most likely be at The Children's Hospital, and the hubs could be at any of them. We would both be NPs, and have equivalent salaries (if we both worked PT, we would make minimum 40K each - if we both worked FT we could make anywhere from 75K+ each). All that's still up in the air, and it doesn't matter too much b/c either way it's decent money. However, we are interested in (of course) living in a safe place, with good schools, and not too bad of a commute. We are spoiled where we live now regarding the commute - his is about 5 minutes, mine is about 20. Also, regarding the schools, I have heard that even if you live in a certain school zone, you are actually not guaranteed for your child to attend that school. Is that correct? Do you automatically get your 2nd choice then? I am also very interested in the International School since we both think foreign language is very important! But i got the feeling it isn't in the best part of town? Wrong? Right? Any other non-religious private schools that are worthy? Regarding housing, definitely NOT wanting a cookie cutter neighborhood, however, the type of house that is often built in Denver is MUCH different than any in my current city (so while you may think style-wise that it's overdone, we think it's a pleasant change). So it's not so much that we don't want all of them to look alike, we just don't want a neighborhood that was poorly constructed. Does that make sense? Certainly a fixer is just fine, and if it has period details (bungalow, victorian, etc) even better! And a yard for the 2.5 kids and golden retriever - ha! Ok, i'm sorry if I have been TOO specific, but I know you all usually want more then less details so that you can be specific in your answers, and for that I thank you advance. With all of that said, where should I live in Denver?

PS - Yes, we have cars, but my husband would love nothing more than to use public transportation or ride his bike almost everywhere he goes!

PS - how is airfare in and out of Denver? My ONLY concern in moving there (and it's a small one) is that Denver is not near any other MAJOR cities. It has a billion outdoorsy things to do, yes. But every once and awhile the hubs and I like to visit big cities and get away for a long weekend. So if we want to flit somewhere, will it cost us an arm and a leg? I'm talkin' Seattle, San Fran, Portland, LV, etc. Basically all the places we haven't seen yet b/c we live in the God-awful southeast. Just wondering!

Old 05-19-2011, 12:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Everyone lives in a school attendance area. You are virtually guaranteed placement in your attendace area school (neighborhood school). If the NS is overcrowded, the school district will find another placement for you and provide transportation.

However, even if you live next door to a charter school, you are not guaranteed admission to it. These schools open-enroll by lottery, with a set of preferences. Each school district does this a little differently.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:55 PM

99 posts, read 335,597 times
leenah33,
I was trying to send you a private message, but they seemed to have changed the format for doing so. I wanted to tell you that there are one stories in Highlands Ranch. We have a one story for sale and there are others. If you want to send me a message with your email address, I can send you the link for those in this area. This website is also good for general looking around at homes in CO. I wasn't sure if it was ok to post websites on here.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver