Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 05:09 PM

4 posts, read 36,251 times

Advertisements

Hi There! My husband has a job offer that would move our family from Kansas City to Denver area. His line of work is such that he would technically work "from home", but actually would be calling on people all over Denver (all of Colorado and Utah). So in the sense of not having an actual office to go to each day he would be working from home, but basically driving all around Denver each day.

We have two children, one going into Kindergarten and one going into 7th grade. Schools are very important to us, and we need to live somewhere that has a great public school system. Proximity to the airport would be nice, but schools come first.

As far as housing goes, we would like a 4+ bedroom house and we prefer newer houses (doesn't have to be brand new just prefer within last 10 or so years). We would like a family friendly area. We would like to keep the house price under 420k at the max (hope for much less, but I keep hearing that Denver is much more pricey than KC). Are there any ranch style houses out there (1 story houses, at least 3 bedrooms on main level of house)? When we moved to Kansas City we were surprised to find that single story houses are extremely hard to find unless they are 30+ years old.

What suburbs are the best as far as schools go? If you have any questions if I have missed some necessary info please ask! I have heard that traffic can be a nightmare, are there any suburbs that make it more difficult to get into/out of Denver? Any insight you guys have at all as far as where to live would be very much appreciated!

Thanks In Advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 05:16 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,713 times
SE Denver has the best schools. But in that price range it might be hard to get into cherry creek schools unless you moved to SE Aurora.

You can try Parker, they have really nice houses and ranches too in your price range and under. Parker is one of my favorite areas, but seems to far out there, depending on which part of parker you move to.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:29 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Pretty much the entire outer ring of the metro area should work for you.

I can't find any newer homes around here that are only one story.

Look at
W Arvada
Superior
Broomfield
N/NW Westminster
N/NE Thornton
Reunion (Commerce City address)
SE Aurora/Centennial
Parker
Castle Rock/Castle Pines
Highlands Ranch
Littleton

Old 05-17-2011, 05:33 PM

698 posts, read 2,047,301 times
There are many neighborhoods in Denver that would work for you, we have many great schools all over the metro area and suburbs. When people ask about neighborhoods being good for kids I think 1. Good schools and 2. Other kids! To narrow it down more, is there anything else that's important to you (other than ranch homes, hard to find in Denver for some reason) in a neighborhood? What would be your ideal neighborhood?

Old 05-17-2011, 05:47 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Pretty much the entire outer ring of the metro area should work for you.

I can't find any newer homes around here that are only one story.

Look at
W Arvada
Superior
Broomfield
N/NW Westminster
N/NE Thornton
Reunion (Commerce City address)
SE Aurora/Centennial
Parker
Castle Rock/Castle Pines
Highlands Ranch
Littleton

That really narrows it down.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:29 PM

Thanks so much for all of the replies so far...please keep them coming!

Someone asked if there are other important things in a neighborhood: Ranch home is first on my list, but if not possible something with two bedrooms on main level. Do houses like that exist there? Our old subdivision in Texas had a huge pool and pool specifically for little ones and a park playground area. Basically would enjoy a neighborhood with things like that which I think tend to go hand in hand with places with tons of kids which is what we hope for. OH! Another extremely important thing to me is proximity to grocery/gas/stores. I dislike driving in the snow, so if most major stores are relatively close that would be great. Any ideas to help narrow the search some? Thanks!

Old 05-17-2011, 07:16 PM

698 posts, read 2,047,301 times
Stapleton in Denver if you want something more on the urban side but still with good schools, great parks, and lots of kids. Close to airport. If you want something more cozy but less urban, have a look at my neighborhood in Westminster (30 min north of downtown Denver) Bradburn Village, it's lousy with kids, and in walking distance to shops, grocery stores, and restaurants. Great schools. However, both Stapleton and Bradburn are very social, know your neighbor kinds of neighborhoods, if you don't want to ever speak to neighbors, they wouldn't be a good fit. Stapleton has a large number of builders, someone might have something more "ranchy". Both neighborhoods are building new homes and have newer resales. Bradburn is cheaper per sq foot, but more choice in Stapleton (it's much larger). I hate driving period--snow or not--so I love living here, if I have to drive, it's a short one to everything you can possibly think of.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:47 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leenah33 View Post
Ranch home is first on my list, but if not possible something with two bedrooms on main level. Do houses like that exist there?
I just did a quick search, I see ranch homes in most of the areas I mentioned above. They usually have basements (sometimes walkout) too.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:03 AM

Can someone recommend a web site to use to serach available houses for sale? Actually I don't know if that is allowed or not, so if not just disregard. Also can anyone recommend specific school districts that are great (or even districts to avoid for that matter)? Thanks!

Old 05-18-2011, 07:04 AM

Oh and one more thing, we would not be interested at all in urban settings, definitely like the "feel" of suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver